Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got bored trying to find a relevant thread, so her we go-----

Range time today with the PPK/S-1 and the Beretta Cheetah (.380). The Walther has become my arm/hand extension and I truly enjoy it. The Beratta Cheetah is a "newby" for me and is quite different from the Walther.

The Walther has about 1000 rounds of pleasure and the Beretta Cheetah about 250 rounds. Both are nice, both are different, both are staying at my house, one will be the full-time carry.

Of note: I am point shooting and this is a new, but necessary, activity. The Walther goes "natural" better than the Beretta. But then, it has been in my hand more.

I will throw the P7 into the mix soon. Be warry 'oh .380's.

Damn, this is fun.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I was having much the same experience on the other side of the continent today, Dave. I ran 50 to 60 rounds through my S&W PPK/S and have to admit that it gets better and more comfortable with every outing. At the same time, we brought out my wife's new Beretta Tomcat .32 and ran 50 rounds through it as well. As you might expect, the Walther performed flawlessly ... and accurately. While the Beretta was plenty accurate -- she was inside the 10-ring most every time with it -- the number of FTEs were on the one hand startling and, on the other, highly disappointing. :mad: We experienced at least one FTE with every magazine, sometimes two, which doesn't ring up much of an endorsement at this point. I'm going to bring it to the local gunsmith and have him take a look at the magazine springs, the feed ramp, and anything else he can think of. It seemed that the spent shells were either flying 20 feet away or shooting straight up and coming down on our heads -- not a good thing. She did, however, like the way that it felt and handled and was not bothered in the slightest by the recoil (the Beretta replaced a Taurus ultra lite 5-shot .38 special wheel gun that was like a ringing hammer every time it went off; on the other hand -- unlike the Beretta -- it went off consistently every time you pulled the trigger).

We also spent some time with a never-fired P1 from Dan's Ammo that was nothing short of awesome. It performed flawlessly and was dead-on accurate, providing nothing but tight little groups through the pie plates.

Good stuff, all in all. Toss out the Beretta experience and you could chalk it up to a mostly pleasant time, indeed.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
You guys are driving me nuts.

My PPK is gathering dust waiting for the Eagle grips (1 more week I hope). I confess I am reluctant to install the replacement S&W plastic grips for fear they will crack again. I never did find out if it was the Hoppe's #9 that weakened the grips to the cracking point, or if the grips were just plain defective. I want to test the PPK with HP ammo as well as the Extreme Shock ammo.

Dave: once you get point shooting down pat, it will be a lot of fun. It takes a little practice to get good at it, but worth the effort.

Searcher: Sorry to hear about the Beretta not working well :(
I like the .32 Tomcat and almost bought one. Kinda glad I didn't now. A shame you got rid of the Taurus. While I never owned one, my Dad did and he liked it a lot. Basically the same as a S&W.
Oh my gawd!!!!:eek: You FIRED the P-1!!!! Surprised you did that. What kind of ammo? Any HP through it? I'm still eyeballing P-38s at Simpson and Southern Ohio Gun. I gotta have all-steel if I get one. :)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another day at the range with the PPK/S-1 and another day of absolute pleasure-----well, almost. The little Walther performed perfectly over a hundred rounds and each round went where it was aimed to go. Damn, I really like the little bugger.

Today, it's range mate was a Browning BPM-D (almost a BHP with DA/SA capability) brought for a first trial. I bought this weapon used, cleaned it and here we go-----experienced some FTE (casing still in the chamber with a new round behind it) so tomorrow I do some detail-detail cleaning around the ejector mechanism. If that does not fix the problem---off the the Smithy. I must say, however, when it worked, it worked VERY nice. Like the BHP with a decocker advantage. Same trigger, same feel, same accuracy.

More worthless information as it develops. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember Dep, the .32 does not compare to the .380 with non-meltable grips. Completely different weapon.

Good luck with the Hogues.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Now that I have the Hogue grips, I hope to get to the range soon with my PPK. I want to try Winnie Silvertips. :D
Still can't believe you've burned up two sets of grips, Dep. Maybe you are squeezing the thing so tight that they're melting or frying under the pressure? For gawd's sake, man, ease up a bit. Be sure to break those Hogues in nice and gently. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Dep---

Searcher is on to something: The "Squeeze" is it. Just relax, get a firm hold and let nature take it's course. But then----

Maybe the .32 is such a weezy thing, it needs to be handled a different way. I don't know about weezy things. I do know that--

2 9mm"s (or .380's) are greater than one .45. Especially when you carry a .32.

(Don't tell anyone, but you are OK in my book.)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Dep,

You might just try a nice gun rug, I like the ones that are suede on the outside and soft ? on the inside. But there are lots out there..... put that box with its "foam" on the closet shelf and leave it there, but watch it - it could mutate into something else. When you shut the closet door make sure the box isn't glowing!

Beware of anything from the Far East, I am still not convinced those Walther Grips are not made by the Red Chinese or North Korean's (NAFTA you know!)

·
Registered
81 Posts
You guys are driving me nuts.

My PPK is gathering dust waiting for the Eagle grips (1 more week I hope). I confess I am reluctant to install the replacement S&W plastic grips for fear they will crack again. I never did find out if it was the Hoppe's #9 that weakened the grips to the cracking point, or if the grips were just plain defective. I want to test the PPK with HP ammo as well as the Extreme Shock ammo.

Dave: once you get point shooting down pat, it will be a lot of fun. It takes a little practice to get good at it, but worth the effort.

Searcher: Sorry to hear about the Beretta not working well :(
I like the .32 Tomcat and almost bought one. Kinda glad I didn't now. A shame you got rid of the Taurus. While I never owned one, my Dad did and he liked it a lot. Basically the same as a S&W.
Oh my gawd!!!!:eek: You FIRED the P-1!!!! Surprised you did that. What kind of ammo? Any HP through it? I'm still eyeballing P-38s at Simpson and Southern Ohio Gun. I gotta have all-steel if I get one. :)

Dep
Dep, after reading back through your grip troubles, I took a closer look at mine (S&W PPK .380). Sure enough they're cracking, radiating out from the grip screws on both sides. I bought it used, but like new-the spare mag hadn't even been used yet. I usually only clean with a few drops of gun oil and some elbow grease, so I know it wasn't a solvent problem. Then again, the grips weren't deteriorating, just falling apart. It looks like they were over-tightened and the pressure broke them. Ordered replacement Hogues from Midway-very nice.

And to keep from hijacking the thread completely: I had a Tomcat a while back and really liked it. Had feed problems at first till I tweeked the mag followers. After that it ran about 500rds no trouble, Silver tips and all. Very accurate for its size and a very nice trigger. Almost bought a used Cheetah, but the shop was asking over 500.00 for it. Too rich for my blood, and a little too big for a .380.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Heavy: I had some of both. The grips cracked, plus the corrosion. It's possible the cracked grips were caused by the factory over-tightening the grip screws. The corrosion on mine was mainly at the top of the grip where oil or solvent from the slide rails might have gotten on them. Or it could have been a little oil on the foam liner in the box that reacted with the plastic. At any rate, the Hogue grips have eliminated that problem. I have NO idea what's going on with Eagle. Haven't heard from them and I don't really care. If they ship the ebony grips...fine. But I'm not gonna get all freaky about it. I simply won't deal with those people or recommend them to anyone.

I am also eyeballing gun rugs as 153 suggested. I like the green canvas ones.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts