Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks,

According to the datecode on the pistol, it was built in 2016, so a newer model. Don´t know, how long it was at the dealer before I got it.

So I put about 300 rounds through my PK380, sinse I had it (about 6 weeks).
No FTF, no FTE. Had one single round not go into the chamber fully, but that was it.

So it seems the reliability is there.
What I have read on different forums and reports on the PK380 ist when owners don`t clean the factory grease off the new PK380 before shooting it the first time, they have FTF and FTE issues.

So, hint #1
Give a factory new PK380 a good degrease and good lube before using it first time.

The missing slidestop/-release dosn`t bother me at all. Also the manual safety is no real issue for me, but I also must add, that I don`t carry the PK380 for self defence. It´s only for competition and recreational shooting (yes having fun at the range)

The feel of this little gun is really nice. The ergonomics of the grip and the frame size are really nice. Not to big, not to small. Fits perfectly in my medium sized hands.
Racking the silde is really easy compared to my Beretta 82bb, that is roughly the same size as the PK380.

Shooting the PK380 is really fun. Recoil is pretty low and really nice to handle.

The trigger is ok, could be a bit lighter, but that can be fixed. DA is hard and a long squeeze. SA is short and fairly crisp with a nice reset.

Now, one major downside is are the sights.
The three dot sights have decent site aquirement, but the left and right gap between front and rear sight is a bit to large.
Walther however doesn`t have any replacement sights, what I find pretty dumb.

Also as it seems, the fron sight is way to high. It measures 6mm (0.236 inch) in hight.
Reading throuh several forums and reports, most of them have stated, that the PK380 shoots pretty low.
On a distance of approx. 10m (10 yards) I have a drop of an average of 14cm (5.5inches).
On the attached picture my POA was the top black mark.

According to a thread here in the forum, Glock front sights should fit, after ripping off the original front sight. But I havn`t got any confirmation on this yet.

I am taking my PK380 to my gunsmith tomorrow. He will shoot it and make a custom front sight (or slap on a Glock front sight?).

All in all, I am happy with my PK380. It shoots nice and seems to be reliable. The groupings are fine for me. And one should also not forget, you can`t really expect wonders from a pistol in that price range.

What I don`t understand though, is the fact, that it is a known issue of the PK380 shooting low left and Walther dosn`t offer replacement sights.

To be continued.........

·
Registered
126 Posts
My response is that you're jumping to conclusions. Leave the stock sights on the gun and work on the fundamentals. The reason a shooter misses is always the shooter's fault. Unless there is a major defect with a barrel or ammo, or the gun is filthy, that projectile will travel straight. Practice more with that particular gun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Four different shooters and all low left.......my gunsmith will look at it

Also, going through different threads here in this forum aswell as other forums all show that low left seems a common issue with the PK380

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, here is an update.

I took my PK380 to my gunsmith. Even the Walther Gunsmith said to shorten the front sight. So we did just that.

But either Walther changed the produktion, or the information in the other thread was crap. The front sight is not glued to the slide. It`s a fixed front sight.

So we had to grind it down. We took it down until approx 0.5mm above the slide, so a little bit of the original sight post is left over as a surface and that way we didn`t damage the finish on the slide.
Also we grinded the little hole to match the Glock front sight in the slide

The original screw for the Glock front sight was a tick to thick and didn`t let the slide pass the barrel correctly, so we had thin out the screw head a bit.

Took it to the range today for the first test. Now I have to admin, I didn`t really have the time and effort, since we had some new shooters with us, that needed schooling and help, so I put only 10 rounds through the PK380. But the difference is absolutely there.

Recalling the problem.
See the picture. Aiming at the top black mark from 10m distance and the POI was approx. 14cm low. 7m was not much better.

Tofay, with the Glock front sight, measuring a front sight height of 4.1mm, I aimed for the bulls eye at 7m and was not far off (not looking at the left, just height).

And, one advantage now is, I can install just about any Glock front sight, if anything should change in time.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
How does the gun look like now? Can you post a photo please? I like to shoot my PK380 because of the soft recoil but its sights make the aiming difficult sometimes in the basement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go

The wihite dot on the Glock fron sight is much brighter then the original one, and a bit bigger.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Ken, many thanks for providing the photos in post #12. The Dropbox and Google links in posts #9 and #10 work too but in all the earlier post I can't see pictures nor links on my PC (Windows 10, Google Chrome). On my Android tablet however I can identify some placeholders in the post #1 for example but they are worthless. It seems that something blocks the pictures. Maybe it's my UTM firewall which blocks the content.

·
Registered
18 Posts
low left

I filed down the front sight removed the white dot and placed a new dot using white porcelin paint.

The rear sight was moved to its maximum left.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I filed down the front sight removed the white dot and placed a new dot using white porcelin paint.

The rear sight was moved to its maximum left.

Why to the left?
Did/does your PK380 shoot low/right?

My brain might be screwed up, but low/lef would need the rear sight to be moved to the right.....?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ken, many thanks for providing the photos in post #12. The Dropbox and Google links in posts #9 and #10 work too but in all the earlier post I can't see pictures nor links on my PC (Windows 10, Google Chrome). On my Android tablet however I can identify some placeholders in the post #1 for example but they are worthless. It seems that something blocks the pictures. Maybe it's my UTM firewall which blocks the content.

you are very welcome.

regarding the links, when I logged on with my windows 10 tablet and wasn`t signed in to the forum, I couldn`t see the links either. after logging in, I could see them

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Why to the left?
Did/does your PK380 shoot low/right?

My brain might be screwed up, but low/lef would need the rear sight to be moved to the right.....?
You move the rear sight into the direction you need your shots to move. If you're shooting way left, move the rear sight to the right.

If you're shooting high, the front sight needs to be lower.

And for some reason, Walthers test fired by Herr Graetz seem to have the rear sight cranked all the way to the left out of the box.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You move the rear sight into the direction you need your shots to move. If you're shooting way left, move the rear sight to the right.

If you're shooting high, the front sight needs to be lower.

And for some reason, Walthers test fired by Herr Graetz seem to have the rear sight cranked all the way to the left out of the box.
good....I thought my brain was screwed.....;-)

I was just wondering, since most of the reports stated, that the PK380 shoots low/left, not low/right.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
regarding the links, when I logged on with my windows 10 tablet and wasn`t signed in to the forum, I couldn`t see the links either. after logging in, I could see them
With Google Chrome it's impossible for me to recognize the Dropbox link in post #1. It doesn't matter if I'm logged in to the forum or not. I got the same result on two different computers. But it works when I access the site with the Internet Explorer on both computers. So it seems to be a Chrome issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I finally got around to shooting the full stage on all three distances for the competition I got the PK380 for.

The sights are much better now, but not perfect yet.

The distances are
- 15m (16 yards)
- 10m (11)
- 7m (7.7 yards)

The POA on 15m is roughly in the upper edge of the 8ish ring at 12 o´clock
The POA on 10m is roughly in the 7ish ring at 12 o´clock
The POA on 7m is roughly in the 9ish ring at 12 o´clock

The front sight could still be a bit lower for my taste, but I know where to aim to at what distance for now.
But since I can install any Glock front sight (this really hurts, since I am a designated Glock hater...:D ), that shouldn`t be a major issue anymore.

See attched pic for the target I perforated today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts