Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Since pulling the trigger in double-action also 'cocks' the firing pin, and since that means you're dealing with increasing spring pressure throughout the movement, I'd say that the answer is no, unless you're willing to give up reliability.

But it really should be a non-issue. I've found the AS trigger's double-action pull to be very nice, and what 'stacking' you might feel is negligible compared to most DA/SA revolvers I've tried. You'd be better served just dry-firing the trigger until you master it, which shouldn't take very long.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as I pull back on the DA, there is a definite increase in pull force needed to finish the pull to fire.

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
Is this a new gun? Or did you buy it used? Has it always been like this? How is the AS and SA pull? How does the trigger feel with the slide removed from the frame?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun has about 400 rounds through it. Though purchased new, it has spent alot of time in the safe. I've recently found renewed interest in it for a ccw. I know I'm particular and the DA pull is not bad. I don't want to interfere with reliability; just want to know if it can be tuned as my p229. The AS pull is fine, although, if it didn't engage the SA "stop" it would feel better; more like a LEM.

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
Okay. Well, as it pertains to stacking, when your pulling the trigger in DA mode, you're working against the 'trigger return spring', you're also compressing the 'firing pin block/safety' up into the slide (against spring pressure) and your compressing the striker spring.

Could any of these springs be swapped for a lighter spring? Probably. Would that be a wise move? Probably not.

I agree with UE, keep it clean and properly lubed and shoot it until you're use to it.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Welcome back UE!!! It has been a long time...

UE and fart have the right idea...trigger time will go a long way toward solving the problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Believe me, if you have to use your P99 in a self defense event, you won't even notice any stacking.

Too true. Later, after the incident, you won't even be able to swear as to which mode the trigger was set — DA, SA, or AS.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
While Blitz and UE make a good point there is an underlying issue. Even under extreme stress that first round needs to count.

That means good finger strength and control. The only way to achieve this is as has been previously stated "trigger time". Not just going to the range when you feel like it but setting up a consistent training schedule and working on your proficiency.

Yes it is true you likely won't even remember how the first trigger pull felt under stress but if you miss center mass you might not get a chance to remember a second trigger pull.

Reactions: UniversalExports

·
Registered
514 Posts
Unfortunately SOME P99s stack, and some do not. I have felt some in the store that were completely smooth all the way to break. Not mine. My best is an old Gen 1 but it does it a little. Much of it has to do with QC of the FC parts - namely the striker and sear. What can be a bit worse is the overtravel which can be considerable and is harder on first shot accuracy and likely the worst part of an otherwise decent trigger. Obviously Walther could fix this with some QC, but there is not much interest in DA/SA guns at this point.

Some use the little hex screw that regulates the trigger bar, but I have not had any luck with it.

Yes, trigger time, rounds, and practice make it much better, and you CAN train right through this, but it is aggravating because it doesn't have to be there, and if the overtravel and stacking are minimal it is one of the best DA triggers you can have.

·
Registered
193 Posts
All this is reminiscent of the Walther P99 user manual's commentary on the pre "AS" name P99 trigger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unfortunately SOME P99s stack, and some do not. I have felt some in the store that were completely smooth all the way to break. Not mine. My best is an old Gen 1 but it does it a little. Much of it has to do with QC of the FC parts - namely the striker and sear. What can be a bit worse is the overtravel which can be considerable and is harder on first shot accuracy and likely the worst part of an otherwise decent trigger. Obviously Walther could fix this with some QC, but there is not much interest in DA/SA guns at this point.

Some use the little hex screw that regulates the trigger bar, but I have not had any luck with it.

Yes, trigger time, rounds, and practice make it much better, and you CAN train right through this, but it is aggravating because it doesn't have to be there, and if the overtravel and stacking are minimal it is one of the best DA triggers you can have.
Do you have pics of the hex screw location by any chance? I have the trigger will not release the striker issue. Saw in an old post that adjustments to the hex screw may fix the issue. I have an old gen 1 with the pivoting trigger.

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
Do you have pics of the hex screw location by any chance? I have the trigger will not release the striker issue. Saw in an old post that adjustments to the hex screw may fix the issue. I have an old gen 1 with the pivoting trigger.
Your old Gen 1 may not have the set screw. I'd suggest sending that pistol to Earls Repair Service. He will have the parts and the knowledge to fix it.

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
Take a look at these. The Gen 1 doesn't use the 'allen screw' adjustable trigger bar guide. It uses one of 12 different individual guides (part 17) to attain proper operation of the pistol in DA.

P99 Gen 1 2004 View attachment P99 Gen 1 2004.pdf

The current model P99's use an adjustable trigger bar guide, part 32.9 and 32.8.

P99 current View attachment P99 AS 268 84 50 rev. l.pdf

Your pistol should have a lifetime warranty. You could contact Walther (Fort Smith) to see if they'll offer to fix it for you. Or, you can contact Earl (Earls Repair Service) and pay him to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
While Blitz and UE make a good point there is an underlying issue. Even under extreme stress that first round needs to count.

That means good finger strength and control.
Or it means carrying with the trigger pre-set to SA mode while a round is already in the pipe. Unfortunately, doing so entails pulling the trigger partway back, something that clearly violates a basic gun safety rule ("keep your trigger finger outside the trigger guard and off the trigger until you are ready to fire") -- which is why I don't do it, myself, and don't recommend it.

But … for the less safety-conscious … it's an option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts