Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P99 AS 9mm has spent a lot of time sitting in the safe lately. I picked up a P99C that has been my carry piece for a few months.

Well, my recent problem with the P99C not locking back on empty mags made me rethink my situation. I decided to break out the ol' P99 full size and give her a try. While I like the P99C, it doesn't fit me nearly as well as the full size (and no subcompact ever would).

So...I got out the P99 tonight. The first thing I did was reinstall the factory front sight. I had changed it out for a HiViz fiber optic sight -- but I don't think my accuracy has been nearly as good since I did. So it's back to the stock sight for me.

I also added a small piece of non-skid tape just forward of the takedown lever on the left side. I always have a hard time finding a good place for my weak-hand thumb to rest. I think the tape will give me a good index and just enough grip to keep my thumb in place. I'll try it out this week and the range just to verify.

So tomorrow my P99 will be riding in my Comp-Tac Pro Undercover instead of its little brother. We'll see how the 2 1/2 car ride goes with the full size in place.

I really have missed my baby!

Jim

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I've been tempted to try the fiber optic sights or night sights - but I like the stock sights so much I don't wanna mess w/ the sights

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the 2 1/2 hours in the car this morning was fine -- I barely noticed a difference between the P99 and the Compact. That's interesting...because when I tried carrying my Sig P228 it was all kinds of uncomfortable! (And that was in a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover holster, too). So it looks like the full size P99 is going to become my primary carry weapon. There's something comforting about having 32 rounds available (not that I ever expect to need that many!)

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
My P99 is my primary carry. It's also my compact, at least it feels like one to me after carrying a full sized P226 for so long...
I put those Walther Red Fiber Optics on my prime carry piece, and I'm seriously considering going back to stock. Up close they are fine, but when I start shooting at a distance my precisions "seems" to go down. They are "course" by comparison to the stock sights... The FO's are sexy though!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Yea, they look cool. And, I have been temoted to get them. But, I don't wanna suffer at the range. And, I shoot at a darker indoor range. I've always liked the stock sights - except for the times I've damaged them thru droppings
- But, now I have 1 extra rear sight and some extra front sights I bought.

I see the Walther catalog has steel stock sights - but as they are from the Walther side and no S&W, I am sure they are not cheap. The plastic rear sight is like $34 from Walther, but around $20 if U order it for the SW99 - even though it is the exact same thing. So, I'm afraid to even ask what a set of steel sights for the P99 is (non night sight)

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Well, I've smushed the edges a couple of times on the front and rear sights when I dropped them. Happened to my SW99 - no damage to the gun - only the sights - thanksfully. Also dropped that P99 I bought earlier this year. It DID damage the gun, unfortunately - that's why I sold it - I was too pissed to keep it. Now, I have another fullsize P99 to replace it. I guess I needa buy a lanyard strap

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well you could do what I have done...I have Meps on my compact, Red Fiber on my full size that I use for competition and Big Dot 24/7 on my "Bedroom" pistol...I like the stock sights but I really like all of my add ons....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been surprised in the difference between sights from the same manufacturer for different guns. I had a set of Trijicons on my Glock 17 and I absolutely hated them. I changed them out for some HiViz fiber optics. On the other hand, the Trijicons that came on my Beretta 92G Vertec are very nice (I'm talking about their daylight sight picture -- in the dark they all look the same!) So I would really have to see a set of Walther-specific night sights before I'd be willing to commit to a change. As much as I like the HiViz sights, they only make a front sight for the Walther and it's not the right size to fit the notch in the rear sight properly. I noticed the difference when I got my P99C and shot a pair of stock sights again. So for now I'll stick with the factory sights.

I did notice that the full-size magazine was more of a problem than the gun yesterday. The gun rode just fine in the car, but the mag was digging into my back (well, actually into my "love handle".) So I had to adjust it a lot until I finally found a good spot for it. That was one advantage of the compact -- the mag was no problem. But I still like having 32 rounds vs. 20 rounds available!

Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had my Meprolights on for about a week now. Wow, cant explain how amazing it is. Day or night your always on target. Worth $65 all day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts