Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my P99 finally gave it up.
Right at a little over 30k rounds the rear sight dovetail cracked out.
It looks like the slide will have to be replaced.
I think my one handed slide racking drills may have taken a toll.
This sucks, I'm attending my first formal IDPA match in the morning. And now I have to pull something else out of the safe. With the P99 I'm classified as an Expert, with something else...... ??
It'll be either my wifes H&K P2000, or my Glock 17.
I'm off to call S&W/Walther now to see about warranty or replacement.
At least what broke wasn't a fight stopper type malfunction.
I could at least carry on without a rear sight if I had to.
Update after I talk with S&W/Walther customer service.
Attached pic of slide:

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
-Forgive me for asking, but with your one-handed racking drill, you mean your hand was pushing against the front side of the rear sight as it cupped the slide, right?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One handed racking involves catching the rear sight on the edge of your holster and pushing against the rear sight to rack the slide.
It is used when you have to manipulate the slide, but only have the use of one hand.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S&W/Walther called me back about 10 minutes ago.
They are sending out a pre-paid Fed-Ex overnight label to me.
They are very interested in looking at the pistol.
We'll see what they do.
Until I get it back up and running, my Glock 17 will stand in.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would not be suprised if it broke when racked like that. Too bad you couldn't borrow the slide of a friend's for the competition.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm extremely surprised that it broke while using it in that manner.
This is a very common manipulation for defensive handgunning.
The one handed rack is taught in law enforcement, military, and defensive shooting courses. My Glock 17 has seen hundreds of these with no problems whatsoever. If anything is going to give, it should be the rear sight, not the slide. S&W/Walther were very surprised that it broke where it did.
btw: I took 2nd overall and top "Stock service pistol" with my Glock 17 at the IDPA match. Not bad for shooting a pistol that hasn't been out of the safe in 3 years. That weird Glock grip angle and the "traditional" mag release cost me a lot of time though.
As soon as my P99 gets back from S&W/Walther I'm going to spank 'em.

·
Registered
280 Posts
still, if the gun is not designed with this in mind then I could see it breaking due to the existing design and repetitive stressing.
let us know what s&w walther says. i don't suppose you told them what you were doing?

Glad the glock worked out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I told the S&W/Walther gunsmith exactly what I have been doing with and to my P99. He didn't say anything other than "It shouldn't have broken like that, we'll probably replace the slide or the complete pistol under warranty".
If Walther markets their pistol as a service/defensive pistol, then it should be able to withstand SOP defensive pistol manipulations.
I HATE the "standard" magazine release on Glocks....... grrrrrrrr stinking thing cost me at least 1/2 second on reloads.
Give me a Walther or H&K "paddle" style magazine release anyday.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Slightly off your topic, but after 30k rounds, how has the frame held up?
I've developed some burs here and there, that need smoothing; they catch cleaning materials.
Don't have my round count handy, but I'd say fairly low, at <5000.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trigger guard is polished from where my Blade-Tech holster grips it, the magazine well is pretty scarred up, and there are a few dings here and there, but it is still in perfectly serviceable condition.
There are no cracks or major problems with the frame at all.
Fed-Ex left with my pistol about 30 minutes ago, we'll see what S&W/Walther USA have to say about it when they look it over on Monday.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's back, with a new slide.
They put a QPQ slide on, since the black slides were still in Germany. They called and asked if I wanted the QPQ or wait for a black. I told them to go ahead and put the QPQ on.
I kinda like the look.
I now have a P99 Military/QPQ.
There are no importer marks, no proof marks, and no serial # on the slide, since it came over as parts rather than as a pistol.
I like it. I now have a "limited edition" of one.
;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts