Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up, P5 fans?

These past few months I've been pursuing my dream of becoming a self-styled internet gun expert fanboy... and I finally got around to doing a review on my P5:

Walther P5 Review: A Leaner, Sharper, German-er Beretta 92 — Hipster Tactical ™

The link to the YouTube review is at the top of the article.

I've been called a "gun hipster" for my eclectic taste in pistols... so... I just kinda embraced it, as you'll see.

In any case, I know I don't have to tell you guys the P5 is awesome. But, I wanted to share some subjective impressions on my experience with the gun, and extol its virtues to those who may not be as familiar with its kickass-ness.

To that point, I kinda framed it up against the Beretta 92. Thanks to the locking block (I guess) I do find similarities between the P5 and the 92, in terms of shooting dynamics and recoil impulse.

So, check it out if you get a minute. Lemme know what you think!

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Awesome review.
The P5s are super accurate for only having 3.5" barrels. Two of my P5s came with test targets showing 8rds in a sub 1" group @25 yards. These were shot offhand and bench rested.

Reactions: Mattyd380

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome review.
The P5s are super accurate for only having 3.5" barrels. Two of my P5s came with test targets showing 8rds in a sub 1" group @25 yards. These were shot offhand and bench rested.
Thanks, man! I appreciate it. Mine never lets me down at the range. Tight groups, 10-rings torn out of targets. I was able to make some headshots at 25 yards (which is pretty good for me) but haven't done a ton of shooting at longer distances.

I still suspect the P88c has the edge in pure mechanical accuracy. But, I'm not sure I shoot it any better than the P5.

Yet :)

Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
This well written review will make the P5 hunt even harder!
😄 So true.

I hunted my first P5 back in spring of 2018. ImAnOldFart helped me in the hunt.
Liked the P5 so much I went on a P5 expedition, purchased a total of seven in under 12 weeks. Even purchased two from Germany and did the export/import process.

P5s are addictive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@lifesizepotato is by far the bigger gun hipster, lol.

You get bonus points for showing us that sweet beard and golden locks! :D
Haha. I always wanted to be @lifesizepotato when I grew up. Or Ian from Forgotten Weapons. I mean… I think I’m a ponytail away at this point 🤣 …And, like, tons of historical minutia.

I always loved LSP’s videos. Haven’t seen one from him in a while. He’ll always be the OG gun hipster.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
😄 So true.

I hunted my first P5 back in spring of 2018. ImAnOldFart helped me in the hunt.
Liked the P5 so much I went on a P5 expedition, purchased a total of seven in under 12 weeks. Even purchased two from Germany and did the export/import process.

P5s are addictive.
I could see myself getting another P5. Regardless of its historical/collectible-ness, the gun just “works” for me in terms of how it shoots.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Haha. I always wanted to be @lifesizepotato when I grew up. Or Ian from Forgotten Weapons...........I always loved LSP’s videos. Haven’t seen one from him in a while. He’ll always be the OG gun hipster.
Hahahaha, I tell the CEO it's all Ian and LSPs fault.🤣

The P5 Lang and six others (some twin barrel 30 Para/9 Para). The pair of HK P7 M13s. The Pardini GT9 6". The Bernardelli Practical VB. The 1900 DWM Am Eagle..........

Reactions: Mattyd380

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice writeup! I really like the P5 also! Very smooth shooting pistol. I wish they would have made them with double stack magazines.
Thank you, sir! Yeah, I guess the closest we get to a double stack P5/P38 is the Beretta 92. Which I love. But... it would have been cool to see the P38 lineage continue to develop--double stacks, subcompacts, etc. Still kinda surprising that the 92 is really the only falling-block gun still around. The system seems to favor inherent shootability and accuracy.

That said... I tend to think that "AF Speed Lock" system they use in the Archon/Strike One guns might be similar--in essence--to a falling block. A separate piece gets cammed down under recoil and the barrel stays straight. I'd kinda like to try one of those things... but, SAO striker-fired guns with no safeties aren't really my cup of tea.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very entertaining review indeed! My only critique is that it encouraged me to continue my fruitless search for a great deal on a P5 Compact to accompany my standard P5!
Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it. I try to cover enough to make it informative without getting too much into the weeds on certain things.

But, I'm with you--I'd love to have a P5 Compact. I haven't seen one that's really in the realm of what I'd consider paying, though. But hey... I found a NIB P88c for $599. So... stranger things have happened.

Thanks so much for checking it out!

·
Registered
119 Posts
What's up, P5 fans?

These past few months I've been pursuing my dream of becoming a self-styled internet gun expert fanboy... and I finally got around to doing a review on my P5:

Walther P5 Review: A Leaner, Sharper, German-er Beretta 92 — Hipster Tactical ™

The link to the YouTube review is at the top of the article.

I've been called a "gun hipster" for my eclectic taste in pistols... so... I just kinda embraced it, as you'll see.

In any case, I know I don't have to tell you guys the P5 is awesome. But, I wanted to share some subjective impressions on my experience with the gun, and extol its virtues to those who may not be as familiar with its kickass-ness.

To that point, I kinda framed it up against the Beretta 92. Thanks to the locking block (I guess) I do find similarities between the P5 and the 92, in terms of shooting dynamics and recoil impulse.

So, check it out if you get a minute. Lemme know what you think!

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
119 Posts
The P5 was an update on the P38 pistol. They did away with the P38's troublesome stamped sheet metal top cover that often blew right off the top of the pistol when hot loads were used.

The P5 incorporated a newly designed extractor that did not blow out the side of the gun like the P38 extractor often does when hot loads are used.

The barrel of the P5 has a stabilizer lug located under the front of the barrel to help improve accuracy which was never a shining aspect of the P38.

The P5 had very wide combat sights that were great for close range combat but very poor for target grade accuracy. This is why the P5 is not as accurate as it could be.

The P5 had a gritty trigger pull but was manageable.

The main marketing failure of the P5 was that Walther was too dumb to make the pistol into a 15 shot gun with a double stack magazine. They chose to stick with the low capacity Walther P38 style single column magazine although they do not interchange even though they do look somewhat similar.

The thick slide which is necessary to accommodate the P38 style locking block makes this pistol less concealable than say the Glock 19.

Accuracy was not bad with this gun but not spectacular either, again mostly due to the overly wide sights.

These gun never were cheap even when they were making them. I bought one at a gun show after literally hundreds of people looked at it and said "I would like to own that gun but I am too cheap and stingy to pay the money". Now they are all crying the blues that they did not buy it when the price was more reasonable than the out of this world collector prices they are bringing now.

If we had some marketing executives that did not have their head up their ass this gun could be produced today and probably for way less than some of the prices they get for 1911 guns. No, the Germans could not make it at a reasonable price but a lot of other countries could like say Turkey.

So what good is the P5 for today?????

Only people with very short fingers would have cause to carry it. If your fingers are of normal length few people would chose to carry it because of its low capacity and many would not like its overly wide sights and overly wide slide making it less concealable than other small 9mm pistols and many mint pieces are way to valuable to even consider carrying everyday. Today its prices have pushed it into the high end collectors market if the gun is in mint condition. Even if it is not mint a refinish or custom refinish with say a electrolysis nickeled slide and the original or refinished anodized black slide makes a nice looking gun and one you could get big bucks for but the refish could easily cost you $300 and up.

Do I like my P5, well yes because it is an oddball pistol, with its unique decocker/slide release and its still rather rare as Walther did not make it for all that long a time period.

The other holy grail of Walther collecting is the Walther P88 which again is rather rare and had a short production history although the myths about its super accuracy was just so much gun writer hype when it first came out. In reality it was no more accurate than any of my dozen or so FN High Power pistols and both take a back seat to my Sig/Neuhausen P210 (original gun, not the cast iron junker being made today) or my German P08 Luger (DWM 1917)

The P210 Neuhausen and a German Luger I own were to two most accurate 9mm handguns I have ever owned. Both have single column low capacity magazines and of course the Luger is the king of the jam-o-matics. I have never owned or shot a Luger that would go over 48 rounds without a jam. Still the Lugar's feel in the hand which makes it a natural pointer and its outstanding accuracy are really something to behold. And ditto for the Sig-Neuhausen P210 as it too is a natural pointer. Too bad they never put into production the 16 shot Sig-Neuhausen P210. This could easily have been done when Sig decided to make the modern but cheapened cast iron version of today that also did away with the tongue in groove fire control system, sadly replaced with a nickel and dime hardware phillips head screw that now holds in the fire control system (what a joke).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only people with very short fingers would have cause to carry it. If your fingers are of normal length few people would chose to carry it because of its low capacity...
Ha--yes... I do have really short fingers. Which is one reason I absolutely love the P5. It feels incredible in my hands and I feel like I can control it better than a lot of guns. For me, the feel and control I get with the P5 are intangibles that trump its limited capacity/size... and even the fact it may not be is inherently accurate as... say, the P88...

The other holy grail of Walther collecting is the Walther P88 which again is rather rare and had a short production history although the myths about its super accuracy was just so much gun writer hype when it first came out. In reality it was no more accurate than any of my dozen or so FN High Power pistols and both take a back seat to my Sig/Neuhausen P210 (original gun, not the cast iron junker being made today) or my German P08 Luger (DWM 1917)
Will be posting my P88c review probably next week... stay tuned.

I've never owned a P210, but I find my P88 to be more accurate than most other "normal" service pistols--P35, included. Though, for me, I think the P5 still handles a bit better overall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts