Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Removed the Loc-Tite from the CA compliant barrel nut (a regular barrel nut and wrench are en route from Walther)
2) Swapped the stock barrel for a Walther 5" target barrel with compensator
3) Replaced the recoil spring and guide rod with a Tandem Kross captured RSA
4) Added Tandem Kross 5-round magazine extensions to both mags
5) Added the large backstrap to the grip
6) Removed the front sight and replaced it with the flat plug because the compensator has its own sight

This is the finished product:

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Looks good. The 5" barrel is more accurate from my tests. Not quite as good as a long barrel target Ruger but accurate enough for off hand. Probably not a challenger in bench rest but from a mechanical rest my old one could produce 5/8" five round groups. My target Ruger was good for 3/8". Heavier pistol, longer barrel. 25M both pistols. 1917

Edit: Oh I can't shoot 1" or 5/8" or 3/8" off hand groups at 25M anyway but it is good to know you are at least practicing with a pistol that is accurate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. The 5" barrel is more accurate from my tests. Not quite as good as a long barrel target Ruger but accurate enough for off hand. Probably not a challenger in bench rest but from a mechanical rest my old one could produce 5/8" five round groups. My target Ruger was good for 3/8". Heavier pistol, longer barrel. 25M both pistols. 1917

Edit: Oh I can't shoot 1" or 5/8" or 3/8" off hand groups at 25M anyway but it is good to know you are at least practicing with a pistol that is accurate.
I had to chuckle a bit when I put a vented compensator on a non-ported barrel. The weight of the compensator alone will help stabilize the gun. With the mag extension, the front heaviness of this configuration is not bad. I’m going to have to readjust my rear sight because when I put the compensator on, the front sight on it didn’t match the front sight on the gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CavGuy ... it looks good. :cool: Where did you get the magazine extensions ... they work good?
The mag extensions are from Tandem Kross and they work wonderfully. You do lose last round hold open, and the load assist, but I feel those are worthy sacrifices given the extended grip and the 15 round capacity.

https://www.tandemkross.com/-Wingman-5-Magazine-Bumper-for-Walther®-P22-2-PACK_p_231.html

I’d also recommend the captured RSA. It makes disassembling and cleaning so much easier.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Walther®-P22-Sentinel-Captured-Spring-Guide-Rod_p_239.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the info. My P22Q already has the captured recoil spring from the factory, but I wouldn't mind extending the magazines.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Nifty customisation, set for metallic silhouette.
How was that red dot attached? What are the holes in the already fragile slide for? I'd advise sliding that stabilizer just a bit forward of the slide. One of the suspicions of slide breakage was the muzzle cup of the slide getting whacked one way when hitting the take down lever and then again when closing and hitting the stabilizer...resulting in metal fatigue.

The P22 needs an aluminum slide with enough metal at the rear for sight options including something that easily sees over a 1" suppressor. 1917

·
Registered
899 Posts
The slide holes (on both sides) removed some weight so as to equalise the slide's total recoiling mass in compensation to the added heft of the reflex red dot.

The P22 slide cracks because it is made out of the wrong alloy composition in the Zamak mould, that does not have enough flexibility; it is way too rigid. It might be the fault of the TENIFER/MELONITE, a metal hardening method, known as Ferritic nitrocarburizing, used in the P22 slide and frame parts to make them usable for Nitro use in a handgun.

Other parts habitually crack in the P22, like in the thin right hand side frame area at the top of the mag well, near the S/N. [See pic.]

An adjustable for windage AND elevation rear sight would allow for a taller front sight to clear all 1"dia. suppressors. It can be done as seen in the Taurus TX-22. [See pic.]

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought mine cheap but discovered too late the rear sight was faulty. Spare parts not available here. Had one years ago but passed it on when I went into competition, (Beretta 92FS). Wasn't going to let it beat me so a few attempts with the 3D printer and some translucent filament and guess what, see pics. It's held in with two short 2.5mm screws,one each side.

Am in the process of trying to increase the size of my G22 mag to as near 30 as possible, mini rifle. Also made a larger P22 mag bottom as I have larger hands. P22 and G22 mags are the same with the difference only being the bottom plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Good job gerry431. Wish I knew more about 3-D printing. I've modified one years ago with JBWeld, narrow slot, peep sight, etc. They all worked but I was using the stock rear sight for a base. Your dots are good for fast target acquisition but I think I'd want some not as large and bright for target shooting.

If you still have the screw it should be pretty easy to fabricate a blade with windage adjustment capability. I think Crete and I both have at one time or the other simply attached a thin black sight blade to the rear of the sight...custom made as to height and aperture width. How many measurement do you have to program in for a 3-D printer to make such a part? 1917

1 - 11 of 11 Posts