Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, PooP ! At the range today, the Little Bugger (PPK/S-1) had a problem. The spring-loaded slide stop (activated by the empty mag) broke. I found that the gun does not like that. So talked to S&W and they wanted the gun returned for a complete check and repair. The Customer Rep said that something caused that and they would like an opportunity to find out what it was. So-----back it goes.

Wouldn'tcha know it-----just when we were starting to "bond". At least I have a back up for the back up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it back yesterday afternoon. S&W didn't waste any time in attending to the problem. It appears like all that was done was to replace the part. No mention about any "evaluation" or reason for the failure. So, back to the range and again build up some confidence in the little bugger.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hate it when things like that happen.

Fwiw, here's my rule of thumb. If a malfunction does not affect the firing of the weapon, I call it a glitch. If the malfunction affects the firing of the weapon, I call it goodbye.

In your case it did not affect affect what the weapon is supposed to basically do. Namely, spit out a bullet, eject the spent case and insert another round in the chamber. As the old saying goes, glitch happens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jehzsa,

I appreciate your perspective, but emotion and doubt is still in my mind. I will again put a few hundred through the target and hope that all is at peace again. I really wanted the PPK/S to be a carry but maybe the P99AS will have to do. Or, the SIG 239. Or the HK 2000 (in transit). I'll take turns with the bunch and see what feels the best given the comfort of use.

My gut feeling is with the P99AS, even though it is new to me, it causes great feelings of assurance and success. I will carry the PPK/S tomorrow and see what my gut thinks.

DourD

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after a month of wringing my hands, worring about the PPK/S-1 repair, daring to ever fire it again, fondling it to gain some lust with it, etc--etc--I took it to the range today. 100 rounds smooth as silk. My hand was happy and my smile was wide. It just goes where I think it should go. Will try another few hundred and start to carry it. She really is sweet.

Also took the SIG239 with a Crimson Trace mounted. That's another story.

Will keep you posted.

Dave

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
dourdave,

I am glad your PPK/S is back on track. The Walther design is such a fine one I am sure yours will be okay now ...just a teething issue.

Please keep us informed on how the little fella does. I have read a lot of alraming things about the new S&W version, and it would be nice to see that some of them actually perform as they are intended to.

I have had PP series guns since the early 1970's and have never had any serious problems with them.

One issue I have found with Walthers is that regardless of how much or little they are shot, the recoil spring and hammer springs sometimes "die" or take a set . Then the hammer will start following down the slide.

This has happened on my pre-war .22 PP Model, my '60's PPK .32 and a .380 PPK/S, a call to Wolff Springs for a kit and all were restored to health!

If you ever feel worried about the slide stop/ejector again, just order a spare with a spare spring. If it ever breaks replacement is a few seconds away.

The Supreme Law of the Universe - Murphy's Law - being what it is means that by purchasing a spare that part will NEVER break again!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7-13 and another hundred rounds. Smooooooth and once again just an extension of my arm. I decided to carry it.

Also took the P99AS and had another enjoyable hundred rounds.

What fun and what rewarding practice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts