Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2nd new Walther PPK/S .22 LR, having sold the first one just when it was becoming reliable...lol. I tried a Glock 44 in .22, and even though it was flawless through 800 rounds, I still prefer a DA/SA action, though.
I haven't been to the range yet, as I'm trying to ration my ammunition due to the panic buying of ammo at all the local outlets.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I’ve thought about getting a second one. Not sure why I need one but once fully broken in, good little shooter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Remington Golden Bullet 40gr plated round nose functions very well in this handgun. I just picked up a box of Federal 38 gr HV plated hollow points to see how they perform.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mine works really well with CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden bullets. Everything else I’ve tried was iffy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
CCI MINI MAG (40 gr. solid or 36 gr. hollow point) are the '..gold standard..' and run flawlessly in almost all .22LR semi-autos.

Remington Golden Bullet (40 gr. solid or 36 gr. hollow point)
Aguilla Super Extra Hi Velocity (40 gr. solid)
run almost as well as CCI Mini Mags...with very few Failures (to Feed, Fire or Eject) per thousand.

Winchester Super X High Velocity has been spotty for me, with far too many Failures to Eject per thousand (though I purchased 5 boxes--300 rounds) I tried to run the first 200 rounds through two different PPK/S and a Sig Mosquito with several dozen Failures to Eject and gave the remaining 200 rounds to a buddy with a .22 revolver.

NONE of the various Federal '.bulk pack..' .22 LR ammo would run through two different PPK/S or a Sig Mosquito.

The *** ABSOLUTE WORST *** .22 LR ammo that I've tried has been ARMSCOR PRECISION 36 gr. Though the ammo cycled through several different 22 LR semi auto pistols...it also suffered several *** CATASTROPHIC FAILURES *** (case & rim 'blowouts') that damage two PPK/S and a Sig Mosquito...and ejecting nasty bits of shredded brass into my face (turns out that wearing protective eye wear is a really good idea).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally made it to the range yesterday, and fired 50 rounds of Federal 38 gr CP HV. Had one FTE. Much better first session than I had with my previous PPK/S .22....:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I now have 600 rounds through this pistol, primarily Remington Golden Bullet 40gr CPRN. Besides the single FTE using Federal ammo during my initial range trip, I’ve had one stovepipe and one dud round. I’m very happy I gave the new build PPK/S .22 a second chance, as this one has been extremely reliable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad your range outings have gone so well. The PPK/S is a fun little pistol to shoot...even if the double action trigger pull is like pulling a San Francisco cable car up Nob Hill and the sights take some gettin' used to. But like almost every .22 semi-auto it's ammo-fussy..with Failures-To-Eject being the most common failure. High velocity (1,200+ fps) CCI Mini Mags solid or hollow point go through it almost flawlessly....but Remington (both solid & hollow point) and Aguilla Super Extra go through it almost as well. The performance of other .22LR high velocity (1,200+ fps) is spotty. I'd also strongly recommend that you avoid ARMSCOR PRECISION high velocity .22LR..as you would the Ebola virus or gargling acid (catastrophic 'blow-outs' are NOT uncommon). Unfortunately, the problem these days is finding ammo on store shelves to begin with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts