Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rare free morning with just myself at home, so to stay out of trouble I thought I would show off my new (to me) P99 AS and do a comparison with my QA. There are always alot of questions as to which trigger to get. They are both excellent triggers and as you will see I shoot the QA better, but I have had more experience on it than the AS, so I am sure with time I would be equally accurate with both.

First, below are some pics of the AS I recently picked up. Since P99's began with #1001 and mine is #4353 this is one of the early ones. I was especially interested in it because it has the original split trigger that Walther later discontinued.

I was dissapointed when it arrived to find it had no date code on the frame, which can only mean that the original frame was replaced for some reason. I remember threads in the past about peices cracking, this may of been one of those cases. However, I guess it is nice to have a newer, improved frame.

To be continued:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first thing I noticed about the AS trigger is the bad memory of hurting my trigger fringer when pulling the trigger (on my old P99 .40 that I sold years ago). It seems that the magazine release and its sharp edges can really do a number on ones trigger finger. So I took some 120 grit paper I had and got to work on it:

Now it is perfectly comfortable. I have never held the newer framed P99's, I hope they have solved this problem with the longer magazine release.

Now for the trigger comparison. The AS has a great double action pull, one of the smoothest I know. The single action is crisp with an extremely short reset (like a 1911). My only compaint with the AS is the breaking point is too far to the rear, hence the finger pinching problem. An over travel stop built into the mechanism would be a greaat improvement, I don't think it needs to travel back quite this far.

The QA trigger is great because it is a consistent pull, with no initial double action to single action crunch, where you feel like you must reposition your trigger finger. The trigger breaks much sooner, which elimates the tendency to "pull" shots off target. The bad thing is it has a long trigger reset and doesn't have double strike capability. If you have a dud, you must retract the slide a half inch to reset the striker.

The QA acts like a short double action pull. It is lighter than the double action and only travels half the distance. The pull is the same from start to finish, with a short "take up" at the beginning to let you know the next stage of the pull is for real. I think from a tactical stand point, especially while wearing gloves, the QA is the way to go, especially for younger newly trained shooters who are not already used to the double/single action style trigger. As you will see further down, there is no reason to think the AS is more accurate just because it has the single action option. I am not knocking the AS, I love it also, It is just my opinion that triggers like the QA and H&k's LEM are the triggers of the future. As you may recall Walther introduced the P38 and PP pistols to solve the old problem of single action semi-autos not being safe enough to carry with a round up the tube.

Below is proof of the quality of Walther, my range session. I shot two 5 shot strings with both pistols, and picked the best group. The range was 25 yards using Winchester White box 9mm.

"See Next Post for Pic"

As you can see, the QA won, but not by much, and I will probably be able to match it with the AS with another 200 rds practice. By the way this was hand held, about a shot every 2 seconds. And, I am not an expert who shoots every day, I shoot maybe once a month if I am lucky. These guns are just easy to shoot accurately. I have shot Glocks, Sigs, 1911's, Checz's and all the other Walthers(except the P88's, ah, maybe someday), and none have I shot better with than the P99.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures:)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I was dissapointed when it arrived to find it had no date code on the frame, which can only mean that the original frame was replaced for some reason. I remember threads in the past about peices cracking, this may of been one of those cases. However, I guess it is nice to have a newer, improved frame.

First off let me say that this was a nice write up with some nice pics....
as to the "no datecode" and replacement frame.....
There is two places that the frames have the serial # on them. You may want to check and see if the markings of the serial # look original or if they are even there.....
One is under the backstrap ... so you would have to take that off.. the other is on the rear of the frame....
FWIW... I have noticed that the original Split trigger was used up to the 010000 serial range......

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Uncut.

There is no number under the backstrap (I didn't know about that), and the serial number on the back of the frame is matching, but that number is really on the firing mechanism and shows thru a window on the back of the frame. So I think this must be a replacement frame.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
yea the serial on the back of the fram should be laser edged into a recess just under the firing pin retaining plate. So is there no proof on your "AS" frame at all... looks like the Eagle/N is missing too
see if the serial on the frame recess looks anything like on your QA

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The serial number on the frame matches the lazer etching of the import mark on the slide. Only proof on the frame is the Walther circle on the front right of the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
banddr2- thanks so much for taking the time to do this write up and sharing it with the forum...nice work & shooting!

Regards to all ~ Photo

·
Registered
118 Posts
I keep changing my mind as to which one to buy. My brother is in the same situation. He was the one who tuned me onto the Walther P-99 and we've both been scouring the web in search of opinions & info. I've always liked the DA/SA action of my 469. Mostly due to the safety which dropped the hammer and deactivated the trigger, therefore rendering the gun unfireable to untrained hands
I was initially set on the AS, but now I'm leaning towards the QA. To be honest, what spooks me the most is the lack of an actual safety lever. I would't want unauthorized hands to be able to squeeze off a round simply by picking it up. I cannot find any info on the round button on the rear of the slide of the QA. I know it's for use when disassembling the firearm but it was referred to as a deactivation button, I seem to recall. The Walther site is useless, as it shows the operating manual for an AS in the QA section.
Simple question. If I wanted to keep this gun relatively safe, could I hit this roundish button to deactivate the trigger, then reset by pulling back the slide a bit?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Weird, I can't edit my post???

Anyhow, I just wanted to chime in with thanks on a wonderful description of the inner workings of these pistols!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Thanks Uncut.

There is no number under the backstrap (I didn't know about that), and the serial number on the back of the frame is matching, but that number is really on the firing mechanism and shows thru a window on the back of the frame. So I think this must be a replacement frame.
I doubt if your frame is a replacement; more likely somebody merely neglected to stamp the date code and antler on the frame.

If you look more closely at s/n on the frame, you'll see that it's engraved on a small recessed steel plate that is embedded the frame itself; it's not on the lockwork insert. The number should be "in the white". If the font style of the "4" (shorter vertical leg) matches that on the other s/ns on the slide and barrel (though the height and width proportion is slightly different), it's probably factory-applied and therefore original. If the frame had been replaced it would have been done here in the USA and the engraving would not have been in a German font. Also the later-style "split" trigger (really a misnomer, as all of them are "split") has not been retrofitted, as most P99s returned for service were.

I have never heard any reliable report of a cracked P99 frame. I suspect it is just another internet "factoid".

Neither of my P99s, incidentally, has any number under the grip insert.

M

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Simple question. If I wanted to keep this gun relatively safe, could I hit this roundish button to deactivate the trigger, then reset by pulling back the slide a bit?
Thanks for digging up my old post. You are correct, once deactivated you have to pull the slide back I think 3/8 of an inch to reset the striker and trigger. It is hard to do without accidentally going too far and ejecting the round unless you grip the top of the slide with the palm of your hand and thumb behind the frame and push back agaings the rear sight. It gives you more control of the slide movement.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I could never decide which on to get either, so now I just have both the QA and AS:D . I use the QA as my home defense gun, loaded and in a finger activated safe. I use the AS for occassional carry. Two tools for two different jobs:(that's how I rationalize these things)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for digging up my old post. You are correct, once deactivated you have to pull the slide back I think 3/8 of an inch to reset the striker and trigger. It is hard to do without accidentally going too far and ejecting the round unless you grip the top of the slide with the palm of your hand and thumb behind the frame and push back agaings the rear sight. It gives you more control of the slide movement.

Fantastic! If racking the slide back a mere 3/8" will reactivate the pistol, it makes the gun relatively safe from unauthorized hands. The P-99 QA is now slated to be my next home defence weapon after it's outfitted with an LED light. Time to go shopping :D
Thanks so much again for the info, bud!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd suggest this, if for home defense: leave the QA decocked, without a round chambered. Then do a full rack to load it, instead of risking that you either went 2/8" and didn't load, or 6/8" and nearly ejected. ;)

thorn

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ditto on hoping it never needs to be used! Alot of guys do the macho stuff, talking about how they'll blast any mofo outta his socks if he ever breaks into his house.
I read Massad Ayoobs book entitled "In the gravest extreme". Downright grounds you. None of that Hollywood glorifying crap. Gives you an idea of how your life will change if you do shoot some armed scumbag who's broken into your home. We're talking possible divorce, financial ruin and children who detach themselves from you after watching you take a life before their eyes. Nuthin' like the freakin' movies, to be sure!
I'm not saying that I wouldn't defend my family. What I'm saying is that if I pull that trigger, I'll be doin' it to save my family's life. Not the family room television set.

PS: I'm not comfortable with NOT having a round chambered. I'd rather be burdened with having to silently pull the slide back a half-inch to re-engage the trigger rather than rack a slide back and let it snap forward loudly to chamber a round with an armed thief in the hallway...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:confused: Hey, I thought this thread was about the differences in function of the QA vs. the AS:confused: . Please stay on the subject.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh I am prety sure that these are differences. Not mechanical differences, but certainly worthy subject matter when talking about the two guns.

That being said., I have shot a sw99 which has the as trigger and compared it to my p99 qa. In reguards to trigger travel, I feel you have to pull the trigger all the way to the back of the gun and this fealt very awkward and uncomfortable. When I first held a Walther, it was an AS,but having bought the cheaper QA, I would not want to switch. Sure early firing gives you a gritty feeling and the pull is heavy, but it is very short and responsive. My trigger finger does not have as much travel. If you have any way to do it, try to find someone or ones that have both guns. It would be worth the time and money to shoot each at least 50 times to get a true feel and see what you like.

For the record, sometimes I keep mine unchambered and decocked and sometimes it is in the safe with the slide locked back and the magazine next to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts