Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new /old PP .380. I say old cause box looks 25 years old &I was wondering is fhete any master hunsmith that will "fine tune " this baby cause i read Lotta negative stuff but the pidtol is gorgeous.fine german engineering..any suggestions on ammo NOT to use etc...Any suggestions welcomed

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Welcome to the Forums Mark. With a little more info about your 380 we can give you a lot better info on ammo but assuming your weapon is in good condition I'd suggest something like GECO 95 gr FMJ to start with. It is very reliable, burns cleanly and you can usually find good deals on it.

As I said if you share more info about your weapon we can likely tell you where and when it was made (if you didn't get the paperwork with the weapon) and give some idea of a value. We'd need serial numbers and proof and date marks to ID your weapon but it is fun to know about PPs especially the 380s.

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
There is the PP, PPK and PPK/S. The PP in .380 is a bit more rare than other versions. Seems most are .32 and .22. If this is an Ulm, Germany pistol I don't think you need any preemptive gunsmith work. Just load and shoot. I'd try out several brands of ammo before loading up on a 1,000 rounds of any particular brand. None of my Walthers seem to be picky about ammo except the .22 models which like ammo on the snappy end. I can't remember if Ranger made any .380 PP pistols. Photo of the left and right sides of your pistol will answer a lot of questions. Welcome to Walther Forms Mark. 1917

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is the PP, PPK and PPK/S. The PP in .380 is a bit more rare than other versions. Seems most are .32 and .22. If this is an Ulm, Germany pistol I don't think you need any preemptive gunsmith work. Just load and shoot. I'd try out several brands of ammo before loading up on a 1,000 rounds of any particular brand. Non of my Walthers seem to be picky about ammo except the .22 models which like ammo on the snappy end. I can't remember if Ranger made any .380 PP pistols. Photo of the left and right sides of your pistol will answer a lot of questions. Welcome to Walther Forms Mark. 1917
Thx for the advice .I have nit had a furearm in a while.long story involving my wife .lmao but back in day was the police NOPD.New Orleans.and of course shot various firearms frequently.actuallybpickingbup firearm today and I was amazed ro see the Walther sitting in showcase..esp. since they had Zip..for inventory..actually gonna leave now & get that beautiful piece of German engineering..will post serial # etethers soon..thx for quick response

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
In assessing a Walther PP or any flavor the safety should decock the hammer as the lever begins to cross the red dot. The ejector should be in place on the left side and is pressed down by a small spring. Check the grips to see that they aren't cracked....although replacements are readily available. Check the bore. Magazines should lock in easily and release easily. The front of the recoil spring is larger than the rear. I would remove the slide or ask the shop to remove it so I could inspect the ramp, bore, ejector, firing pin block, etc. for any undue wear. The hammer should not follow the slide forward. A quick but thorough inspection should tell you all you need to know. These are well engineered pistols and work 100% as long as someone hasn't been fooling around with one that doesn't know what they are doing. An empty magazine locked in should press the ejector up and hold the slide open when you retract it. To let the slide forward you must drop the mag then slightly pull the slide rearward so the spring loaded ejector arm can drop.

A PP looks like this. This one is a .32 police pistol. I prefer the longer barrel and sight distance of the PP pistols but have em all. Good luck with it. Bought the one above for about $318 a few years ago. It was missing the ejector spring and the hammer would follow the slide sometimes. A new ejector spring and a new hammer block spring arrived in the mail shortly from Member MGMike and the pistol has run 100% since. 1917

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
You can purchase new mags from Mecgar......they work fine and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the mags Walther uses. About $25 or $30 ea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Forums Mark. With a little more info about your 380 we can give you a lot better info on ammo but assuming your weapon is in good condition I'd suggest something like GECO 95 gr FMJ to start with. It is very reliable, burns cleanly and you can usually find good deals on it.

As I said if you share more info about your weapon we can likely tell you where and when it was made (if you didn't get the paperwork with the weapon) and give some idea of a value. We'd need serial numbers and proof and date marks to ID your weapon but it is fun to know about PPs especially the 380s.
There is the PP, PPK and PPK/S. The PP in .380 is a bit more rare than other versions. Seems most are .32 and .22. If this is an Ulm, Germany pistol I don't think you need any preemptive gunsmith work. Just load and shoot. I'd try out several brands of ammo before loading up on a 1,000 rounds of any particular brand. None of my Walthers seem to be picky about ammo except the .22 models which like ammo on the snappy end. I can't remember if Ranger made any .380 PP pistols. Photo of the left and right sides of your pistol will answer a lot of questions. Welcome to Walther Forms Mark. 1917
[/QUOTE by
You can purchase new mags from Mecgar......they work fine and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the mags Walther uses. About $25 or $30 ea.
Well picked that baby up .5 days were up..& I feel like very fortunate turns out it is an old..never fired .(on consignment) Walther PP 9mm Kurz bearing following Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do...modell pp-cal 9mm Kurz..made in West Germany ...ejector s/s has smaller with tint Wather emblems stamped...also has Interarms Alexandria Virginia on R barrel ....bearing Serial # 34036....and again 34036A on right-side by trigger guard..my research limited as it is ..oh yeah came in original box w/ extra mag..no markings on mag. But box looks 40 year old...it does not appear to have Ever been fired..so I paid $650...and am extremely pleased that I was able to acquire it from Puglias...55 year old small sporting good store in metairie..suburb of New Orleans....She is beautiful..now gotta learn how to field strip..clean her etc....I am no stranger to firearms. Was cop in new orleans 16 years ..way back in late 70"s to1992..but know nothing of my new/ old Walther...but hope thru forum to. Become knowledgeable..it fits my big hands perfect...its beautiful classic firearm. Wonder just how old she is ???

Well

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Only Walther and Manurhin built the PP, Ranger only produced the PPK and PPK/S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts