Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was traveling through Tennessee and stopped at the OutPost Armory on I24.

They had two new Fort Smith stainless PPK/Ss. Having this one shipping home as we speak. MSRP is $699 I guess. They gave me a military discount which sort of covered the tax.

The workmanship looks perfect. Will be a while before I shoot it but I don’t expect any issues.

Trooper Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congratulations.
I really like mine. So much so I’ll probably get one in black too ‘cuz I’m ridiculous like that. Really like them though so that’s my excuse. Feels good, looks good, shoots good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, not all the new Fort Smith PPK/Ss are as smooth as the one I bought yesterday.

I found another one at a high end gun shop in Anniston, AL this morning for $669 (not a bad price). However, the “decock/safety” drum lever was very hard to turn. Also, it seemed like the finish and lettering on the left side of the slide was rough compared to mine. The dealer said that they had just received this gun also.

I thought I read someplace that there has been some improvements over the very early ones that were released.

I am really happy with mine but I would not have bought the one I saw this morning. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Congratulations.

I own one of the late production Smith & Wesson models and I must say that Walther most certainly did a better job finishing these than S&W did.

Purists will bellyache over the extended beavertail and throw miniature celebrations anytime somebody posts a thread on the acquisition of a vintage model while these newer ones go unappreciated, but I for one think they look great.

I'll take a new Walther PPK(/S) on the range table or inside a holster on my belt over a vintage model entombed in a safe any day.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
And I'll take my Ranger PPK on a range table or my hip any day over that god awful beavertail...and I'm no purist. (I can't be I bought one of those crappy Umarex PPK/S 22LRs.)

or the Manurhin PPK/S

My wife usually carries the "French Kiss" as she calls it. We both agree the tang is...what we in polite society call fugly.

Heck I may buy a Ft Smith PPK eventually and have the tang removed...:)

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Fully understand the notion of using the new guns as everyday carry, kinda like a Glock.
Moon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Let us know how this performs when you get it in the "working mode"...I also am curious regarding the newer manufactured versions performance characteristics.

My original I/A '96 PPK/S version works every time/as expected and still looks really good...wondering if I/A has gotten the manufacturing processes fine tuned to produce another few generations of this classic?

Thinking of getting a couple more to use as gifts for son-in-laws?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why is it that EVERY SINGLE THREAD regarding the new Fort Smith PPK is eventually hijacked by owners of a previous generation PPK having to comment for the MILLIONTH time about how they hate the extended beaver tail/how the older versions are better/how they would never consider buying the new version. It's almost like a pathology that these forum members are compelled to repeat these points.
Ok we get it, you don't like the Fort Smith version and its ugliness haunts your dreams. No need to say it again.
Btw, many of these same forum members also predicted that the new version wouldn't sell, that nobody is interested in a pistol designed so long ago(as if that has handicapped 1911 sales).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Commanderbond: In my view, you've nailed the greatest weakness of this otherwise excellent forum. In my view, first time PP series buyers currently (2019) have two clear choices: 1) buy a "classic" European or Ranger produced pistol and accept limitations on effectiveness (more limited ammunition choices); or, 2) buy a "modernized" (feed ramp) S&W or Fort Smith pistol and accept a non-classic look. (The extended tang being the most obvious aesthetic difference.) Consequently, I own both a S&W and Ulm PPK and enjoy both for different reasons.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Commanderbond: I note you are a long time forum member (you joined in 2010) with relatively few posts. That's a type of fire discipline and effectiveness we should also admire.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Commanderbond: I note you are a long time forum member (you joined in 2010) with relatively few posts. That's a type of fire discipline and effectiveness we should also admire.
I guess he had enough. Lol

He has a point. This is the reason I think it would be wise to separate the PP forum into pre Smith-verson and post-Smith version forums.

While I respect and admire the knowledge some of the collectors of the older guns have, the constant negativity must be annoying as heck for some of the newer members. Seems there are plenty who are just trying to enjoy their more recently manufactured gun. They deserve a place to discuss the guns positives and negatives without being shouted down.

The people who focus on the older guns also deserve a place where they can delve into important topics such as....which vintage of PPK goes better with my suit...or topics like...was my PPK really owned by Hitlers cousins chauffeur's homosexual lover and how much more will the gun be worth if proven?

There is room for everybody but perhaps the two camps would be better separated.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I see no reason not to point out that the tang is ugly. It is. I guess I've been very lucky or well trained as I've never had slide bite and see no reason for the tang.

My weapons were not purchased for any reason but use. They aren't ammo sensitive, rather they are highly functional weapons that are extremely good looking as well.

I'm not a luddite as most here know. I carry a Q45 as my primary weapon and my PPK is my BUG when required (or needed). Sometimes I carry the PPK as my primary but not too often.

Would I carry the new version? Sure I would after a thorough vetting, but I'd likely have my armorer remove the tang as I just don't have a need for it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sort of a rant.

I don't have much familiarity with the older PPK/S even though I owned one back in the 70's so I don't really have much interest in the older models.

I got my new PPK/S a couple weeks ago and am very impressed with it. I enjoy reading about other members experiences with their new PPK/S's until someone has to mention that their old PPK/S is "blah, blah, blah". You know what? I don't care, I'm interested in the new version. The beaver tail may not be as graceful looking as the old one but I barely noticed the difference and the extended beaver tail is now the new look of the PPK/S....so get over it.

So, the suggestion of having a forum for the new PPK/S's and variants sounds good to me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd love to be able to study the correlation between forum join date and/or number of posts and view of the extended tang. Some marketing folks likely did so (across many forums) long before bending any metal.

·
Registered
592 Posts
in some cases it just seems provocative . . .

i'm sure it feels that way for someone who has inherited a firearm or who can afford only the one they just bought . . .

there's always a choice in words chosen . . .

a good mantra for the forum might be "to be proud what you have and allow others the same for what their means allow."

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
As I posted the other day, I held a new one last Saturday. It seemed well made, with nice slide to frame fit, and good overall finish. If it was available in .32acp, and sold in the mid $500 range, I'd buy one. At that price I could overlook the overly sharp edges on the grip frame, as that is easily fixed.

As to the tenor of the forum on this subject. Well, I do try to see it from both sides. I understand wanting a brand new pistol with a warranty and a ready supply of parts, and being able to carry and use the pistol without fear of degrading a collectable pistol's value. What I would hope the new owners would try to understand is that what the classic owners see is a lowering of standards of finish that is, to us old farts, unacceptable at the price point.

Walther is selling the new PP series at a premium price point, as such it should have a premium finish, or, sell for (much) less.

Reactions: Jimbo80
1 - 20 of 56 Posts