Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Closest thing I could find to a NIB, German-built .380 PPK, w/o any import markings on the frame. It was shipped with the brown grips and, of course, sold in the U.S. with the eagle grips mounted (notice the import stuff stamped on the grips only). Original box, target, manual, cleaning tools, etc. Even received a European style shoulder holster. Exactly what I was looking for. Very pleased. Enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Man, I never realised how chunky and rough hewn my S&W built PPK/S was until I saw that first pic of your PPK. You can definitely see the higher quality manufacturing and time spent hand making that PPK smooth and tight fitting. Not all of that smoothness can be attributed to age/use either; that's quality manufacturing there. Great buy, I wish I had one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, David the Gnome!! It really is a nice looking piece of manufacturing. I feel very fortunate to have ran across this one.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hey GS7,

Looks like you got your pictures up just fine.
Now that is one fine little PPK you got there.
Feel free to put up some more pics. Let's see the whole gun both sides, top, bottom, back....
:cool:

Russell

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
AWSOME! I hope your paid alot of money for it! Just jealous. Good job on an excellent PPK, you won't find many in that condition.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the positive feedback, guys! I'm very excited about this little gun. Someone asked if the grips are black. Yes, they are, but the pistol also came with the brown grips (see my second thread on this pistol for a picture). I'm actually thinking about removing the Eagle grips and placing the brown grips on it. I'm also going to take some more photos and will post them in the next few days. I'll get some different angles and try to get some of the dust off the gun that I see in a few of the shots I've already posted! Thanks, again!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Congratulations to you!

I have ser. # 130765 that came with black American eagle grips from '68. It is also nearly mint with ser. #'d box and accessories. I am dithering about shooting it at least once. It had been shot before I feel, although probably not more than a mag or two. There's not even faint wear on the back end of the frame rails or the barrel hood.
I also have '68 # 129895 that came with brown eagle grips. It's about 89% cosemetically and I carry it sometimes because life is short! The mint one will never see a holster as long as I own it.
I personally don't care for the eagle grips so I just stored them away for the day the guns get sold. Hopefully, not for a long time. I need to take some pics and share them with you guys sometime over the winter.

Again, we are very happy for you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm shooting it...often...may even carry it!!!

Thanks, Malysh. This may disappoint some, but I fully intend on shooting the PPK...quite a bit. Honestly, my thought was not to find a pistol like this to keep in the safe, I simply wanted a virtually brand new, German-built PPK that I could break-in and make my own. To do that, though, it basically needed to have an older manufacture date...in this case 40 years old!!! I wanted the feel of being able to buy this gun new, like I would have had back then. HMMM...that's kinda what happened...like I did a little time-traveling...:) Seriously, I fully intend on taking great care of the pistol, but let's remember...these things were made to be shot. For 40 years this thing has been denied its destiny!!! I used to own an exotic car, and the motto in that particular circle was "they were made to be driven." In fact, at some of the concourse type events, if a show car was not driven on the track (and I mean in an actual race) during the event, points would be deducted during judging! Another example are show dogs...did you know that at the highest levels of those competitions, a hunting dog with visible scars (from hunting) will have zero points deducted from its judging?? It's a sign that the dog is used for its intended purpose...an honorable battle scar if you will. Finally, let's get real. A 1968 PPK is not really an investment. Sure it's more rare than some guns...and it's sexy as a gun can be...but there are, relatively speaking, vast quantities of them. How much could it possibly go up in value?? Let's say this $1000+ PPK, today, is worth an inflation adjusted $5000 by the time I'm an old man (will not happen)...Whoopdee doo dah day!!! That's not going to get you anywhere. And I'll be scratching my gray head thinking...you know, I should have shot this thing...I bet that would've been fun. No regrets, my friends. I'll let the next generations worry about why great grandpa should or shouldn't have shot his '68 PPK.... See what I mean...it's kind of ludicrous not to.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I somewhat agree with you ... I would not have a problem shooting that gun. I don't think it would be my daily carry gun, but I would enjoy the thing. I have a browning belgium light 12 my grandfather gave me when I was 15. He couldn't remember when he bought it, but after a little research I found through the serial number it was a '58. Now he never hunted with it, just shot it a handful of times. I have two choices ... use it as a collectors piece and hope it goes up in value, or shoot it like my grandfather didn't. I choose to hunt with it regularly. I even use it to shoot clay targets. I shoot it 120 times about 3 weeks ago. I would guess I have shot 1000+ rounds through it and you know what I have learned? My grandfather sure missed out on alot of fun with a great gun!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well GS7,

If you plan to carry it or have it for defense you'll probably try to run some JHP ammo through it. I'd be interested to know how that works out. You will likely want to change the recoil spring and maybe other springs before getting serious with it.

Russell

·
Registered
529 Posts
Gunshot7,

Like I said, life is short! Nobody can judge you if you want to shoot and carry it. It's your gun. They are terrific quality concealment guns and they are tools first and foremost.
I don't carry the lesser of my two eagles all the time because if deep concealment is not required I just prefer a more powerful handgun. I am partial to 45 acp. I do not carry it in 90 degree humid summer weather, though. Too much sweat gets on it. I have lots of other choices for that kind of weather.

I hope you enjoy the h(&^ out of it!

·
Registered
729 Posts
GunShot7: That's a great looking PPK! Wondeful! Keep posting pics, your phtography is really good. I'd like to see some targets with holes in them soon! Great gun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts