Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My latest AR Build project is one that I finally decided to do for me. The last few were done for others and to their liking, but this particular AR Pistol was done to please only me.

The idea behind this AR Pistol build was to combine new AR technologies like a modern hand guard, red dot and pistol brace, but with a battle worn look, as if the firearm had been around for many, many years.

The inspiration for this build came from a picture of an old Vietnam era M-16...

My new, old AR Pistol...

Project Breakdown:

• PSA Upper with a PSA 10.5" Carbine-length gas system, 5.56 NATO, 1:7 twist and Nitrided Barrel
  • PSA 12" Slant End M-Lok Rail Hand Guard
  • PSA Fluted Flash Can
  • PSA Stealth Lower Receiver
  • PSA Enhanced Polished Trigger
  • Aluminum Oversize Trigger Guard
  • SB Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace
  • Tacticon Flip-Up Sights
  • Suregrip ERGO Grip
  • Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot
I took the old girl out on our fist date yesterday to do a basic function test, and to get a quick 25-yard zero on the irons and red dot. I can report that she ran flawlessly, and the spent brass ejected nicely at the 4 o'clock position.

I can only say that I am exceedingly pleased with how this new/old AR pistol turned out!

Reactions: imaoldfart

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
Love your sig, gglass!

I'm perplexed; why the brace when you have a 16" bbl?
Moon

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to be perplexed. The barrel is actually 10.5" and the hand guard is 12". With the flash can, it extends the barrel and muzzle device past the hand guard by just over an inch.

I believe that the picture with the pistol lying flat makes it look longer than it actually is.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help Kar98.

You are correct about the enthusiasm, but a little off the mark as to the intended look. I simply pointed to a worn AR from the Vietnam era as the inspiration for the build. I was not, however, trying to completely reproduce the look of that vintage, since 10.5" barrels, attachment style hand-guards, pistol braces and red dots did not even exist back then. You could simply say that I am pre-aging the firearm, not trying to relive my `Nam days, since I was probably playing with Hot Wheels and Legos back then.

·
Super Moderator
3,888 Posts
A bit long for a pistol, IMHO, but I 'get' it: you have a pistol that identifies as a rifle without actually being one per the ATF's definition thereof.

I'm not big on the distressed look for my own firearms, but I have to admit that you've done a very nice job of achieving it with your own. Kudos!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I admire OP's enthusiasm, but his product looks nothing like a 'Nam era 16.
Here, let me help:

I have to agree, that while it's really sweet looking with the weather/battleworn look, there's zero about it that remotely appears "retro."

The optic/sites, carry handle, stock, forearm, flashhider/muzzle device, trigger, trigger well, grip, and magazine are all entirely wrong. It barely even resembles a Vietnam era M16 and cosmetically shares only similarities to the basic receiver.

It just looks like a worn out modern AR. Looks great, and sounds like it's a great gun but I'd rephrase it from "retro" to "battle worn."

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose that words do indeed mean something. From this moment forward, the term "Retro" in this thread shall mean aged, distressed or battle worn.

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
The 'pre-distressed' thing seems popular right now.

Personally, pretty guns suit me better, save for ones that really get carried. That will make them look like hell soon enough.
But kudos to the OP's creation, and the battle-worn M16. (lead', assuming there is no FA on the starboard side? The duckbill flashider can go either way).
Built an M16A1 clone with NOS Colt upper and a NoDak lower; whose lower did you use, lead'?
Thnx,
Moon

Reactions: Andyd_is_PzGren
1 - 10 of 10 Posts