Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first walther, it is a preowned but minty .40 in od green and I think i got a great deal. I am trying to get some info in the pistol and was looking to find a date of birth...I have read the FAQ's and looked all over my pistol for a date code as indicated and can not find anything.. no proofs no nothing. So I am stumped.

Heres a pic and any help would be great serial number 4604xx

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should have these proofs if it is 100% German:

Since it is a 40SW and you said you could not find any proof marks, it could be one of the 40's Smith & Wesson made the slide and barrel for. If this is the case, the frame would also lack the "eagle over n" proof mark, indicated in the location below.

This consists of a "eagle over n", a two letter date code, and then a stag horn.

The codes decode as such:

KG = 1996
KH = 1997
KI = 1998
KK = 1999
AA = 2000
AB = 2001
AC = 2002
AD = 2003
AE = 2004
AF = 2005
AG = 2006
AH = 2007

According to Mr Lunde's Fact Page

"If the slide, barrel, and frame are lacking the "eagle over N" proof mark, that's the first indication that it is made by Smith & Wesson. The frame was still made in Germany by Walther, but the slide and barrel are made by Smith & Wesson. Only some .40 Auto P99s were made by Smith & Wesson. All 9mm ones are 100% German-made. Another indication is if the second digit of its serial number is 6 (meaning that the serial number follows the pattern "46xxxx")."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"If the slide, barrel, and frame are lacking the "eagle over N" proof mark, that's the first indication that it is made by Smith & Wesson. The frame was still made in Germany by Walther, but the slide and barrel are made by Smith & Wesson. Only some .40 Auto P99s were made by Smith & Wesson. All 9mm ones are 100% German-made. Another indication is if the second digit of its serial number is 6 (meaning that the serial number follows the pattern "46xxxx")."
It seems this is the case. Any idea of what year(s) these had been made

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He just mentioned to U how to find out what year it was made in from the date codes located on the slide.
I understand that , but as indicated in my original post, this pistol has no date code anywhere on the frame or slide. I even stripped it down and looked on the indside of the slide ect.. No codes or proofs anywhere on this pistol... I can gather fro the serial number that the slide and BBl where made by Smith. but other than thatI have no idea what dates these had been made.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Based on the serial numbers on my P99's, I would think yours was manufactured 2001 or 2002, leaning toward 2001. Maybe Uncut can be of more help with dating from a serial number.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
full production of the .40S&W started in February 1998 with serial # 400001
that is all I know......sorry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts