Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading lots of posts about ammo, I finally got a chance to shoot my new P22 CA for the first time. I first cleaned and lubed the pistol and swapped in the Tandemkross captured recoil spring. No other modifications. First ammo i tried was 50 rounds of Armscor 36gr hollowpoint. Zero failures-- very impressed. Next I burned through 50 rounds of Aguila 40 grain copper plated round nose high velocity. 3 failures to extract. Last, I tried 50 rounds of Winchester 40 gr Super X hyper velocity. Too many failures to load to count-- almost every round I had to re-rack to load a round in the chamber. Extraction was fine, just wouldn't pick up a new round to chamber. Btw, tried 4 different magazines with no improvement. Got really worried that the gun was just going to be untrustworthy with that ammo or maybe just temperamental once it gets a little dirty.

Went home and cleaned and lubed and tried shooting again the next week.

This time I started with the Winchester Super X-- zero malfunctions. Then followed with the Aguila-- zero problems, and then finished with the Armscor-- zero problems. I know it's still early, but I'm guessing that the gun just needed to wear in a little because it worked beautifully the second time shooting. Next time I'll move on to more different types of ammo, just to experiment but I feel pretty good about the P22.

By comparison, I also own a S&W 2213 (2.5 in barrel) and 22A (5 in barrel) and the shorty has always been reliable as long it has high velocity ammo and the 22A has been rock solid with everything except subsonic ammo (I experimented with this back when 22LR was hard to get in my area and this was what was available)

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Welcome mchinn1968. Yes you will find the P22 likes snappy ammo. Two that are very, very reliable are CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden Bullets. Others work but basically the rounds have to develop enough energy to blow the slide all the way rearward. That blowback gas is what pushes the spent case out with enough energy to move the slide, cock the hammer and still have case bounce off the ejector and out of the pistol. Weak ammo won't accomplish this.

Walther now makes a captive recoil spring but you have to drill the guide rod hole out to 1/4" for it to fit. It is well made and all new pistols come with it. Again welcome. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome

It would be cool to have the factory captured spring, but since I already have the Tandemkross and it seems to work great, I'll just stick with it-- I really appreciate this discussion forum for turning me on to that part.The other thing I worried about initially was what direction the brass would extract towards; thankfully it does seem to kick out to the side so maybe Walther has that ironed out (hopefully).

Thanks for the welcome, and especially to 1917 for all of the detailed posts/explanations. Your experience and knowledge is really impressive and helpful.

Martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked and the barrel is marked BK. Thanks for the tip-- I wouldn't have known what that stood for. The thing is, when I purchased the gun, it was my hope that it would include the improved spring, so it was disappointing that it didn't-- maybe it's a California thing since the state is shackled by so many restrictions involving firearms. Just thankful for the Tandemkross option-- well worth the $20

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
A couple of Members have posted that Walther can not make changes to the CA approved P22...even the color of the pistols are approved and can't be changed. QD decocker not offered in CA and likely not the captive spring either. I did look on the Walther page regarding P22's for CA and it seems sure enough..there are a few specific models. For some reason CA models have shown up for sale in other parts of the Country since day one. 1917

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do also remember reading some posts expressing that restrictiveness in CA, so I was prepared for my P22 to have the uncaptured spring as a result-- I guess its just part of living in CA that you kinda get used to all of the dumb restrictions involving firearms.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
A question I don't know the answer to is can a P22 owner legally install a removable barrel nut, install any type of non stock parts such as aftermarket recoil spring assemblies. Walther might not be able to make the changes...but can an owner? It seems there is some regulation in CA that has been passed that would require Walther to micro stamp the firing pin nose. Now that seems pretty tricky if so and how long would such a stamp last. Not long I suppose if I dropped my firing pin on its nose on my concrete floor while cleaning it. 1917

·
Registered
26 Posts

You can change anything you'd like on your handguns. Except a few couple things.
PC 30515(a)(4) states:
Assault Weapon means: semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:
- Threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer
- Second handgrip
- Shroud attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the
barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon w/out
burning the bearer’s hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel
- The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip

So no Threaded barrels, no vertical foregrips (makes it a NFA item anyways). At least those two are applicable to the P22 anyways.

So captured guiderod, and the all in one 5" target barrel, grip tape, if you wanna scratch off the CA on your slide; you could, Lasers, optic "bridge". Those are all good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not an expert on the regulations, but I think most modifications are legal as long as it isn't specifically restricted. For example full auto would be out--although that's not just CA. Pretty sure threaded barrels are also off limits. The recoil spring shouldn't be a problem at all. Also, almost all of the firearms I own, other than my .22 pistols, either have aftermarket triggers or have had trigger work done. In fact a previous restriction on modifications on concealed carry weapons was just lifted in my county, to include aftermarket triggers, porting, cerakoting, etc. Even high capacity magazines are now allowed as long as they were legally obtained, which always seemed like something that would be hard to prosecute anyway unless they pass an outright possession ban (which I think some counties have done or tried to do). I personally have a lot of magazines that I can't buy legally any more, but which used to simply be the standard magazine available at the time, like 30 round AR mags, 15 round 9mm, etc. Thankfully, they're fine in my county--for now at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops-- I missed your post before I wrote, RussianBear365-- much better said and thorough than mine. Thanks!

martin

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
In that case I'd order the Walther captive RSA, drill the guide rod hole to 1/4" and go shooting. It appears very well made to me. 1917

·
Registered
18 Posts
In some of my research on the P22, Walther puts lock tight on the barrel screw so its almost impossible to take off on some models. Is this true 1917

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Yes, California model....The P22 landed on the CA prohibited assault firearm ban because of the threaded barrel. Walther was able to work out a deal to eliminate this feature by installing a barrel nut with no wrench lands for removal and with some type of locking glue. If other States prohibit the easy to suppress feature of the pistol (a selling point for purchasing the P22 where legal) it is likely CA models can be sold there.

Over the years Walther added a small O ring at the rear of the barrel nut to help keep it tight on non CA pistols.

So yes, the CA model comes with a barrel nut glued on tight and with no slots for a wrench to remove it. 1917

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I left Kaliforniastan for Free America with my CA model P22, I contacted Walther about removing the barrel nut and replacing it with one that had the lands because I wanted to replace the 5" barrel with the 3.4" barrel for greater ease of reassembly. They emailed me a FedEx shipping label and did the work for free. They were very quick about it, too. I just had to explain to them that I was no longer behind enemy lines. I was very pleased with their responsiveness.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
I never thought it a good idea except for the fact that CA required it. I red-locktited one on years ago, tightened it up nice and tight. Began shooting. About 5,000 rounds later I noticed the barrel was a bit loose. Somewhere in there either the sleeve or the front of the chamber had swagged the zinc frame a bit which caused the barrel to become loose. Not sloppy loose but enough that I could feel it if I checked barrel tightness. So I heated it a bit, removed the nut and never used any threadlocker after that. At some point way back Walther added an O ring at the rear of the barrel nut to help hold it tight. CA is a different story though and that was worked out to defeat the removal of the nut from the threaded barrel. I just always wondered how they held up after 5K or 10K shots. Mine didn't. 1917

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just always wondered how they held up after 5K or 10K shots. Mine didn't. 1917
I was in Kaliforniastan for an aggregate of a couple of years after I got my P-22, and I was shooting other weapons at the same time, so I only put probably about 1500 rounds through it at that point. I didn't have any issues with the barrel loosening from frame swagging, of course, given the lower round count I had in it. If there had been problems, I would have discovered them because I used the P-22 Bible you made to take mine apart all the way down to the internal components.

With that being said, I used some Blue Locktite on the barrel nut when I tightened it down onto the new 3.4" barrel, and now I'm wondering if I should undo that after reading of your account with the Locktite. I need to get a wrench for it, though, since it didn't come with one when I bought it in occupied territory. Right now, I have to wrap the barrel nut in electrical tape to protect it and then use pliers to remove or tighten it, a much less than ideal answer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts