Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and just wanted to say how much I like the P99. Picked up the .40 AS Friday and shot Sat and Sun, the only thing that sucks is that all four of my mag exploded at the butt plate after 10 rounds each...getting them replaced by Walther. I'm not sure how much better the new mags will be, do you guys have a suggestion?? ProMag maybe?? Thanks.

Ratracer

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Congrats on the new toy!

Unfortunately there has been a bad batch of .40 mags. This has been a recent event and hopefully they have the problem fixed now. Older magazines have worked fine. I would wait for the replacements from Walther. The Promags are terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back to the gun shop where I bought the P99 and they gave me replacement mags with the S&W logo on the bottom. They wanted to give me the Walther ones, but after reading some of the post on this site, I was more informed. This site rocks!! Thanks P88 for the comment on the Promags...I'll stay away from them.

RR

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
RR,

Well, that was a nice gun shop you dealt with! Its nice to see the "little guy" as well as the "big guy" back up what they sell.

It's still a mystery as to what has happened with these baseplates. The magazines are made by Mec-Gar, who has a stellar rating when it comes to magazines. I'm thinking that who ever mixed the polymer got the formula wrong.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The polymer may be wrong but so is the design. I'm no plastics expert but even I can see that such a flimsy piece of plastic is likely to break under stress. I'm all for lots of rounds in the magazine but I'd rather have a few more millimeters of plastic or one round less to ensure the damn thing doesn't fall apart. I guess there's a good aftermarket opportunity to mill replacement parts out of aluminum. Pricey but strong! I suppose even cast aluminum would be better.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd buy them...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts