1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051109/ap_on_el_ge/san_francisco_measures

San Francisco Voters Approve Handgun Ban

By LOUISE CHU, Associated Press Writer Wed Nov 9, 6:27 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.

Only two other major U.S. cities — Washington and Chicago — have implemented such sweeping handgun bans.

With all precincts reporting early Wednesday, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.

Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April.

A coalition led by the National Rifle Association has said it plans to challenge the initiative in court, arguing that cities do not have the authority to regulate firearms under California law.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

The measure, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

It encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, an activist for the proposition.

<hr>

I'm personally going to be watching the anual crime rate for the next few years of that place. DC, BTW, is our nation's leader in number of homicides anually.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could? It did, was voted on yesterday.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There will be some good deals on gun then, soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sure hope they never have any terriost attacks there. Thats a damn shame cant even defend your own home. Sure glad i live in Texas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sure hope they never have any terriost attacks there. Thats a damn shame cant even defend your own home. Sure glad i live in Texas.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sure hope they never have any terriost attacks there. Thats a damn shame cant even defend your own home. Sure glad i live in Texas.
That did bear repeating... lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Perhaps we'll see a spike in shotgun sales there?
(Not actually SOLD in SF `cause the would be illegal too, but just outside the SF limits.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DC has the highest murder rate in the country. The fact is criminals break the law. All taking away guns does is take away the ability to defend onself from honest people. I know, I know, preaching to the chuior.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I believe that the last time SF passed this kind of thing was back in '82 under Feinstein.  IIRC, the courts struck it down under preemption.  Basically, the law was invalidated because SF exceeded its power by improperly reaching into an area of legislation reserved to the state government.  Let's see what happens this time...

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is not the first time that SanFran has banned Handguns. Last time the law was overturned as being unconstitutional (but I don't know on what grounds). I beleive the year was 1981.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The ban doesn't sicken me. The ban will most likely be struck down in court. It is the fact that 58% of the voting public thought it was a good idea that troubles me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wonder what the 58% of the population will think once guns are banned and the number of gun crimes increases (like it did in Britain after they banned guns) and the number of violent crimes increases (which also happened in Britain).

Every murderer, rapist, armed robber etc etc can now safely move to San Fransisco and commit their crimes in public during broad day light because, of course, no private citizen is going to shoot them.

Britain has or is now reintroducing limited civilian gun ownership. California will just have to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the NRA does not take the 2A seriously nor do they interpret it as a natural right.  the NRA is basically a hunter's/sportman's rights group who compromise on way too many 2A issues for me to take them seriously or give them any of my hard-earned money.

there are other pro-gun organizations out there that stay much truer to the intents of the 2A and do not compromise like the political toadies of the NRA.  GOA (gun owners of america) comes to mind first and foremost.

i honestly believe the NRA does more harm than good because of their tendency to compromise and interpret the second amendment as a priveledge, not a right . . . .

as for the residents of san francisco, they are reaping what they've sown.  that's what they get for being sissified, liberal californians.  hopefully this issue will make it to the supreme court and we will get a precedent on the 2A that is true to the intents of the men that wrote it. it was written to remind the people (and the government) that the people have a natural right to keep and bear military style arms for the sole purpose of overthrowing an out-of-control government. it was not written for sportsmen and hunters . . . .

last, but not least, i'm glad i live in kentucky.  we have about the best gun laws in the nation.

frye

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in San Francisco and I'm very disappointed with the Handgun Ban. The studies and research show that it might reduce crime rates. The fact is, that the ban is impeding my civil liberty! This seems to be happening alot lately in the good ole' USA... Guess I'm getting a shot gun (Benelli Nova)and or a rifle (Ruger Mini 30). I was really interested in the P99 Compact QA, as my sidearm, it seems like an ideal pistol for me. It's either totally on (cocked) of totally off (decocked)... I guess I could forgive not having a manual safety, but I like the quick action trigger pull. One would just have to be ready before hand... If I was cop though I would carry a Glock 30, with no time to cock and your life is ALWAYS on the line, I could no afford the time it would take to cock the pistol, just enough to aim and squezze!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The SF ban was unfortuately overturned the last time due to pre-emption laws in California. It is unfortunately again being contested on those very same grounds. I wish the NRA would have gone after it based on Constitutional grounds. Any appeals to the Ninth Circus would have then gone to the SCOTUS and we could have tested the waters for an individual right ruling. But then I gues its too much of a crap shoot right now and nobody wants a precedent set the other way. Pre-emption was the safest route to take.

·
Registered
83 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rossao @ Dec. 06 2005,14:24)]The studies and research show that it might reduce crime rates.  
what studies are those? they must be studies referred to by the gun-grabbers. every objective study i have ever read, particularly about states that have pro-CCW laws, show that violent crime drops. FBI statistics also confirm this premise.

if this happened where i live (fat chance, it's kentucky), i think i'd have to tell them 'MOLON LABE'. they may eventually get my firearms, but only after i'd given them all my rounds first, sans casing.

california is no longer america . . .
. they should secede, become the 'people's republik of kommiefornia', change the official language to spanish and quit shaming the rest of us . . .

i don't know whether i should laugh hysterically at or cry for you left-coasters

frye

1 - 20 of 20 Posts