Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I like Walthers, I went a different way for my carry needs. I needed something that I could truly pocket carry and further I wanted something that could, if necessary, operate from inside the pocket. Wanted something fairly light but able to use a powerful enough cartridge that I would have confidence in. Finally, I wanted something intimidating enough to reduce the chances I would have to use it.

So, I chose this.

It is a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. This is the On-Duty model with the hammer shroud. They also offer other variations in 2 to 6 inch barrels, stainless or black nitride, and calibers like .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .45 Colt, and, for the truly self abusive, .41 Magnum.

Its pocketable, weighs in at about 19oz, and has surprising accuracy out to about 15 yds. The stainless finish makes it clearly visible even if I am wearing dark clothes and gloves. It also accentuates the very large bore so no one staring down that hole will mistake it for a .22. Even in lower light, the cavernous hollow points can be seen from the front. Rounding out the utility/imtimidation package, it is equipped with Crimson Trace Lasergrips. Nothing says "This is gonna hurt" more than a little red light on your chest.

While I am very happy with this combination, it does have its downsides. Ammunition runs from about $0.60 to $2.00 per round. Recoil is substantial but controllable to anyone comfortable with heavy loads. I'd say .44 Spl recoil in this gun is about the same as full power .41 Magnum in a 45oz gun. Nothing "punishing" about it but you do need to shoot it enough to get confident with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently recommended this gun to a friend who drives Uber. The concept got kind of stuck in my head, so I started looking at small revolvers. One thing led to another and I ended up trading for a Ruger LCR in 9mm which is amazingly light and compact package. It's certainly lighter than my daily carry PPS/M1.

The jury is still out on whether I'm going to keep and carry it, but it's an interesting alternative.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I recently recommended this gun to a friend who drives Uber. The concept got kind of stuck in my head, so I started looking at small revolvers. One thing led to another and I ended up trading for a Ruger LCR in 9mm which is amazingly light and compact package. It's certainly lighter than my daily carry PPS/M1.

The jury is still out on whether I'm going to keep and carry it, but it's an interesting alternative.
I looked at the LCR and found I didn't care for it -- specifically because of the cammed trigger and what can happen if you accidentally short-stroke it (i.e. pull the trigger again prior to it reaching its reset point). The hammer doesn't drop, but the cylinder indexes to the next chamber of the cylinder. This could be very bad in a self-defense scenario if one was to inadvertently short-stroke the trigger while on the last round in the cylinder - thereby indexing to an empty chamber while skipping the one on which the hammer didn't fall when the pistol was short-stroked.

I was able to reliably reproduce this behavior on multiple units, so it wasn't a flaky/defective LCR I was handling. A pity, as I'd own a LCR if it wasn't for this; I really liked everything else about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't run into the problem you've described, but although I don't specifically dislike the trigger pull, I don't like it either. There's just something about it that I'm uncomfortable with..... can't put my finger on it.

Still like the concept, might try the Charter Pitbull, or even wait for RIA to get enough of the Czech 9mm revolver to see them around.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Interesting . . .
I also bought a revolver recently, but obviously went a different road
when it came to recoil. Took home a Ruger SP101 .327 magnum 3 inch.
Another thought was, leave no brass behind . . . . If not forced to reload.

Never "carried" as in EDC a revolver, but shot them on pistol teams
way back when. Its just what I considered acceptable at present.
I'll get an iwb holster and start giving it a try, if we are allowed back
outside the house ? Usually EDC the PPS M2.

Am looking into ways to dialing down the finish to a matte what ever.

Stay healthy out there !

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I looked at the LCR and found I didn't care for it -- specifically because of the cammed trigger and what can happen if you accidentally short-stroke it (i.e. pull the trigger again prior to it reaching its reset point). The hammer doesn't drop, but the cylinder indexes to the next chamber of the cylinder. This could be very bad in a self-defense scenario if one was to inadvertently short-stroke the trigger while on the last round in the cylinder - thereby indexing to an empty chamber while skipping the one on which the hammer didn't fall when the pistol was short-stroked.

I was able to reliably reproduce this behavior on multiple units, so it wasn't a flaky/defective LCR I was handling. A pity, as I'd own a LCR if it wasn't for this; I really liked everything else about it.
I bought one of the LCR 38s when they first came out. Noticed the same short-stroke tendency as you did.

Maybe do to familiarity, I went back to my Smiths.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I'm an oldtime Smith guy, so nothing else crosses my mind.
And I love Centennials, only one control, and it is the bang switch. As regards firing, the hump back can sit lower in the hand than a comparable exposed hammer J frame.

An internet acquaintance likes to shoot his Centennial from the pocket of a soon-to-be-trashed raincoat; says it generally catches on fire.

After some long look, finally found the 940 Centennial. Good news/bad news; ammo is cheap, but the recoil is surprisingly sharp. For the range, it's my oft-suggested bike glove. The moon clips make for fast reloads.

Frankly, 2" Centennials are a little big for a pocket. Don't know how it could be done with a 3".
Moon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts