Walther Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I shoot a bunch of .357 magnums out of my S&W Airweight before shooting the .380 PPK. It's a piece of cake after that.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I shoot a bunch of .357 magnums out of my S&W Airweight before shooting the .380 PPK. It's a piece of cake after that.
Ha! Yeah...357s out of one of those Scandium blasters is an other worldly experience.

It's an experience you go through wondering if you are going to do permanent damage to your hands.

Even the mid-range loads in those things will cut me up quick.

In comparison, the PPK in .380acp is just...uncomfortable.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Peter A, when I beat my head on the wall, it feels really good...when I quit. ;)
My ancient (and somewhat arthritic) hands don't suffer that kind of abuse very well, tho' I have a 340SC too...it's a last ditch GTFOM for bear when hiking. Found some Fiocchi 142 gr FMJs that clock 1179 'sec in a 2.5" M66 (!), but the bear might hurt less, if fired in the 340..
For yinz scrambling for .380 ammo, give some hard thot' to reloading; I was shooting 9s cheap before the loaded ones were cheap, less than $0.14 @, and .380s about the same.
We love our Walthers, but a G42 is the 21st Century PPK. Doesn't mean we still can't have fun with them, but you can shoot the little Glock all the livelong day.
Moon

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Oh man. When I had my PPK I had the worst case of slide bite ever. Immediately invested in a Pachmyar (sp?) grip sleeve. Best decision ever. Fattened up the grip and solved the slide bite issue for me by repositioning my grip. Also made it even more of a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Peter A, when I beat my head on the wall, it feels really good...when I quit. ;)
My ancient (and somewhat arthritic) hands don't suffer that kind of abuse very well, tho' I have a 340SC too...it's a last ditch GTFOM for bear when hiking. Found some Fiocchi 142 gr FMJs that clock 1179 'sec in a 2.5" M66 (!), but the bear might hurt less, if fired in the 340..
For yinz scrambling for .380 ammo, give some hard thot' to reloading; I was shooting 9s cheap before the loaded ones were cheap, less than $0.14 @, and .380s about the same.
We love our Walthers, but a G42 is the 21st Century PPK. Doesn't mean we still can't have fun with them, but you can shoot the little Glock all the livelong day.
Moon
I live in a pretty small place, right now, so reloading just isn't in the cards at this point. When the wife and I sell and get into a bigger place, my dream is to have a dedicated reloading area. It'll be nice to buy primers, powder, and bullets in bulk so that I can reload. I've heard that you have to reload a lot to make your money back, but as quickly as we can go through cases of ammo over the course of a year, I think we'd make our money back pretty quickly.

I also do want to get my wife interested in something compact besides the PPK. While she loves to shoot it forever with a fingerless glove on, the slide is too hard for her to rack if she inserts a magazine when it's closed. She's fine to pull the slide back to get it to close on a loaded magazine, but not otherwise. We'll need to rent some micro-compacts to see what will interest her. She racks the slides on her PPQ and G19 just fine, but they are too big for her to carry concealed.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I suggest that your wife hand-cock the PPK hammer first and then rack the slide. Even a half-cock of the hammer will make most pistols rack much easier. There are also better and worse ways to rack a slide, as a little YouTube hunt will show. My $0.02

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I also do want to get my wife interested in something compact besides the PPK. While she loves to shoot it forever with a fingerless glove on, the slide is too hard for her to rack if she inserts a magazine when it's closed. She's fine to pull the slide back to get it to close on a loaded magazine, but not otherwise. We'll need to rent some micro-compacts to see what will interest her. She racks the slides on her PPQ and G19 just fine, but they are too big for her to carry concealed.
Some other people on here have mentioned the newer Shield EZ 9 and 380. Soft shooter and easy to rack. I have not had the opportunity to try Walther's CCP, but I don't know what you or your wife are after in terms of a carry pistol. I was just talking to someone else on here about that Remington R51 and how that would be the cat's knees, if it weren't riddled with issues. Another thought might be Beretta PX4. I hear good things, and I have shot one before. Great shooters. Size might be a bit on fat side, though. Up to you, of course.

·
Registered
409 Posts
LOL! I don't know many who can shoot a BUNCH, but I might shoot a FEW .357 rounds from my S&W 340PD and then, later, after the pain and numbness in my hand, arm, and shoulder wears off a bit, I find shooting my .380 PPK/S noticeably easier. Those little Scandium/Titanium Hand Cannons are downright unpleasant things to shoot, unless you're just popping off some light .38 Specials that is. In fact, when I carry my 340PD, it's loaded with Hornady Critical Defense .38 +P ammo. Even that is a hard sell, but I can actually get 5 rounds of it off fairly quickly without having to fight to control the gun. Shooting .357 rounds out of a J-frame that weighs less then 12 oz is just punishing, on both ends.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suggest that your wife hand-cock the PPK hammer first and then rack the slide. Even a half-cock of the hammer will make most pistols rack much easier. There are also better and worse ways to rack a slide, as a little YouTube hunt will show. My $0.02
I was having her pre-cock the hammer before racking the slide, but it wasn't working for her. It seems the front of the safety/decocker gouges one of her fingers. I've worked with her to clean up her technique to prevent that a bit. At the range, last weekend, she finally racked the slide to chamber a round without short-cycling it and causing a mis-feed. I was so proud of her. She still has a lot of work to do, though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some other people on here have mentioned the newer Shield EZ 9 and 380. Soft shooter and easy to rack. I have not had the opportunity to try Walther's CCP, but I don't know what you or your wife are after in terms of a carry pistol. I was just talking to someone else on here about that Remington R51 and how that would be the cat's knees, if it weren't riddled with issues. Another thought might be Beretta PX4. I hear good things, and I have shot one before. Great shooters. Size might be a bit on fat side, though. Up to you, of course.
Her issues with the PPK/S slide seem to be technique related, and I have a hard time getting her to practice it at home. She'll go shoot 150-200 rounds through it at the range, and she'll shoot more accurately than most guys, but she won't practice the manual of arms at home. She started out with a G19 before she got her PPQ, and she has no problem with the slides on those, so I think she is just a little complacent because she shoots well and can manipulated the slides on her two other pistols without a problem.

Last week, I threatened that I would get her a G42 or a G43 if she wouldn't practice working the slide on her PPK/S. Hehe. Nothing like manufacturing an excuse to get another gun... Now that I think about it, I should have threatened to get her a P365. I really want one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Her issues with the PPK/S slide seem to be technique related, and I have a hard time getting her to practice it at home. She'll go shoot 150-200 rounds through it at the range, and she'll shoot more accurately than most guys, but she won't practice the manual of arms at home. She started out with a G19 before she got her PPQ, and she has no problem with the slides on those, so I think she is just a little complacent because she shoots well and can manipulated the slides on her two other pistols without a problem.

Last week, I threatened that I would get her a G42 or a G43 if she wouldn't practice working the slide on her PPK/S. Hehe. Nothing like manufacturing an excuse to get another gun... Now that I think about it, I should have threatened to get her a P365. I really want one of those.
The G42 is a heck of an easy 380acp to shoot. Almost seems like cheating.

I'd be surprised if she did not like it, especially if she already enjoys Glocks and PPQs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The G42 is a heck of an easy 380acp to shoot. Almost seems like cheating.

I'd be surprised if she did not like it, especially if she already enjoys Glocks and PPQs.
I'm pretty sure a G42 would become her favorite range gun. I think she prefers the recoil of the .380 to that of the 9mm. I've tried to help her adopt a shooting technique to control the recoil on her 9mm pistols better, but she still has a tendency to limp-wrist the weapon at times, so with the G19 and PPQ, she ends of getting whacked in the forehead with brass from time to time. She doesn't have that problem with the PPK/S.

I'm a pretty precise shooter when it comes to my marksmanship skills, and I can teach brand new shooters to be precise shooters, too, but I have not yet cracked the code on training recoil management with them. I want to get her to a professional tactical pistol course so that she can learn those skills. She certainly has the requisite safety and marksmanship skills down pat. She just needs to have the other aspects tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I'm pretty sure a G42 would become her favorite range gun. I think she prefers the recoil of the .380 to that of the 9mm. I've tried to help her adopt a shooting technique to control the recoil on her 9mm pistols better, but she still has a tendency to limp-wrist the weapon at times, so with the G19 and PPQ, she ends of getting whacked in the forehead with brass from time to time. She doesn't have that problem with the PPK/S.

I'm a pretty precise shooter when it comes to my marksmanship skills, and I can teach brand new shooters to be precise shooters, too, but I have not yet cracked the code on training recoil management with them. I want to get her to a professional tactical pistol course so that she can learn those skills. She certainly has the requisite safety and marksmanship skills down pat. She just needs to have the other aspects tuned.
At least she is getting out and shooting which is great to hear.

The G42 is probably the easiest recoiling .380acp out there. A great blend of enough size to shoot well yet small enough to conceal. Recoil is low enough that recoil issues are pretty much off the table.

·
Registered
84 Posts
At least she is getting out and shooting which is great to hear.

The G42 is probably the easiest recoiling .380acp out there. A great blend of enough size to shoot well yet small enough to conceal. Recoil is low enough that recoil issues are pretty much off the table.
Yeah, she ran 150 rounds through it on Sunday. She really liked the Hogue grip sleeve I managed to stretch onto it. I typically like to go through at least 300 rounds in a range trip, and if she were to get the G42, she would probably end up closer to that number.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

What technique, if you don't mind me asking? I remember learning a secondary method if pulling the slide back doesn't do it. Grasp slide firmly, and push with the other hand forward with the frame. I realize that sounds like the same thing but opposite, but I was surprised at how much leverage you get with the frame over the slide serrations. Granted, the PPk is a small pistol, and the recoil spring is rather stout. I know a few people who suggested it as a carry option or "bump in the night" option for their little ladies, but it was the one thing that turned them away from it was the recoil spring strength.

Glad she found one she likes, its the most important first step after deciding to arm yourself for self defense. I first came across a Walther PPS Gen 1 as a range rental in 9mm, and I was shocked at how well it fit my hands and pointed so easily. Trigger reach was perfect, recoil wasn't an issue, and no slide bite and I could shoot the thing all day. It was an easy decision to make once I tried a few things. So I get why she liked the Glock.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
The 42 is simply a honey, and you can shoot it all afternoon without regretting it.
The P365 has more recoil than the Glock, but, oddly, is easier to rack. In fact, it's amazingly easy to rack.
You guys who get a woman to shoot 150+ rounds out of a PPK...how much housework to you promise to do?
Moon
ETA- There's a doozit that replaces the backplate of the Glock, which makes it easier to rack.
M

·
Registered
84 Posts
What technique, if you don't mind me asking? I remember learning a secondary method if pulling the slide back doesn't do it. Grasp slide firmly, and push with the other hand forward with the frame. I realize that sounds like the same thing but opposite, but I was surprised at how much leverage you get with the frame over the slide serrations. Granted, the PPk is a small pistol, and the recoil spring is rather stout. I know a few people who suggested it as a carry option or "bump in the night" option for their little ladies, but it was the one thing that turned them away from it was the recoil spring strength.

Glad she found one she likes, its the most important first step after deciding to arm yourself for self defense. I first came across a Walther PPS Gen 1 as a range rental in 9mm, and I was shocked at how well it fit my hands and pointed so easily. Trigger reach was perfect, recoil wasn't an issue, and no slide bite and I could shoot the thing all day. It was an easy decision to make once I tried a few things. So I get why she liked the Glock.
So, the technique that I have been working on with her is the slingshot method, with her thumb lying alongside the slide and her fingertips against the other side. The problem is that the tip of the safety/decocker gouges one of her fingertips. I have been trying to get her to practice doing it in such a manner that she can grasp the slide without contacting the safety/decocker. It's been frustrating to get her to practice. Like I said before, she will practice shooting, and she'll even practice dry fire, but she won't practice manipulating the slide on her PPK/S.:rolleyes:

Speaking of the PPS, I took friend to the range to pick up her PPQ that she chose after trying out a few rentals (that was how my wife also ended up with a PPQ), and it was only her third trip to the range. The range had free rentals, so we tried out a PPS, along with a P365 and a G43, and she shot that PPS really well. A lot of folks have a hard time shooting full-sized handguns, and she put a good hole in her target from how tight she kept her group at seven yards. I go for pocket-sized pieces, myself, so the PPS is a little big for my own daily carry tastes, but I would certainly put it on the list of concealed pieces to try out for those who go for IWB or for women carrying in a small handbag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, it's my answer, anyway.

Range life without the Hogue HandAll Beavertail Grip Sleeve
#18200 would be something less than wonderful.
Thanks. Looks like it might help lower my grip enough to prevent the slide bite curse. I'm not generally fond of grip sleeves but will consider keeping my Interarms PPK if it works.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I always wear gloves when shooting, regardless of gun. My Glock 19 would chafe at the base of my thumb. I can practice without problems. I like a heavy leather work glove with fingers cut off (the fingers on the glove not the fingers on my hand) but bicycle gloves work fine too.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts