Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well, it's my answer, anyway.

Range life without the Hogue HandAll Beavertail Grip Sleeve
#18200 would be something less than wonderful.

In fact, the improvement in ergonomics and shooting enjoyment is
truly amazing.

The fit is extremely tight - no shifting at all. When the sleeve is
new right out of the box, fitting it on the grip takes some real work.

Hogue advertises a precise fit for Glock 42 & 43, but they also list
it as fitting well on the PPK, which it does.

The PPK is only a backup for me but I can't live without this
Hogue sleeve, as it greatly improves confidence and gives
superior grip control.

The extra grip width does not detract from concealment and
is well accomodated by every carry method I use (Tod Coles'
Recluse TS Solo Pocket holster, the Sneaky Pete Bug-Bite
calf holster and Undertech Undercover spandex concealment
shirts).

My experience is that recoil shock is reduced so much that
running 50 rounds through it at a time is immensely more
tolerable and, if you are a man, not a painful experience.

This PPK, Test Target Date December 7, 1989, has not once choked
on any rounds I have run through it, including flat nosed
Winchester White Box.

The magazines are loaded with SIG V-Crowns.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Very nice. My answer to the snappy recoil is to shoot higher powered calibers so that the .380 feels like a .22. ;) Good to know about the Hogue grips. I'm sure that more than one person will incorporate them on their carry guns as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. My answer to the snappy recoil is to shoot higher powered calibers so that the .380 feels like a .22. ;) Good to know about the Hogue grips. I'm sure that more than one person will incorporate them on their carry guns as well.
Why didn't I think of that? :cool: I should lead off with the SIG next time. Now we're getting somewhere.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Used to have Hogue grips but they always dragged on clothing and felt like holding a ball. If it works for you, great! Wasn't quite what I needed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^ That's a great pic of what I did also (with the Ft. Smith one with /S). Adds about a tenth to the width and changed nothing in ease of access or accuracy, but entirely stops the beavertail trying to assault my thumb joint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The recoil is unremarkable. A steel edge of 90 degrees, however, eventually beats up the thumb a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 92099
View attachment 92100
Well, it's my answer, anyway.

Range life without the Hogue HandAll Beavertail Grip Sleeve
#18200 would be something less than wonderful.

In fact, the improvement in ergonomics and shooting enjoyment is
truly amazing.

The fit is extremely tight - no shifting at all. When the sleeve is
new right out of the box, fitting it on the grip takes some real work.

Hogue advertises a precise fit for Glock 42 & 43, but they also list
it as fitting well on the PPK, which it does.

The PPK is only a backup for me but I can't live without this
Hogue sleeve, as it greatly improves confidence and gives
superior grip control.

The extra grip width does not detract from concealment and
is well accomodated by every carry method I use (Tod Coles'
Recluse TS Solo Pocket holster, the Sneaky Pete Bug-Bite
calf holster and Undertech Undercover spandex concealment
shirts).

My experience is that recoil shock is reduced so much that
running 50 rounds through it at a time is immensely more
tolerable and, if you are a man, not a painful experience.

This PPK, Test Target Date December 7, 1989, has not once choked
on any rounds I have run through it, including flat nosed
Winchester White Box.

The magazines are loaded with SIG V-Crowns.
I'm glad you posted a picture with this on your PPK and the Hogue number 18200 and are happy with it, but as of the time of this reply Hogue's website does not state this grip sleeve is a exact fit or alternative fit for the PPK.
It does show a picture with the bersa thunder 380 with one on it, which is pretty close to a ppk.

I could not find anything rubber on hogue's site stating a PPK fit or alternative fit.

I'm buying one on based on your post.

thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like that idea. I've been slowly working on the edges with 400-grit sandpaper to try and smooth them out because they bother my wife's hand after a box of ammo, after which she has to put on a fingerless glove to continue shooting. I have been looking all over for something like this. I'm getting one of those grips, too.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I like that idea. I've been slowly working on the edges with 400-grit sandpaper to try and smooth them out because they bother my wife's hand after a box of ammo, after which she has to put on a fingerless glove to continue shooting....
Due respect, but why not put on the glove before her hand is sore? Been advocating a bike glove for range duty here about forever.
No added bulk for carry, and a few shots in a defensive situation won't matter. Rounding the sharp edges is a good idea.
I'd hold her to a box of c'tridges anyway; in a .380 PPK, she'll end up with a flinch. Honest. Or get her a G42.
Moon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Due respect, but why not put on the glove before her hand is sore? Been advocating a bike glove for range duty here about forever.
No added bulk for carry, and a few shots in a defensive situation won't matter. Rounding the sharp edges is a good idea.
I'd hold her to a box of c'tridges anyway; in a .380 PPK, she'll end up with a flinch. Honest. Or get her a G42.
Moon
She always forgets to put it on until her hand has gotten sore. I remind her to put it on when I remember to do so. Fortunately, my wife is a strict adherent to her fundamentals, so she is pretty flinch proof. I think it comes from her deliberate mindset when she begins handling her weapon. She's really tiny, so she occasionally limp-wrists her PPQ just enought to cause brass to hit her in the forehead instead of flying off to the side, but even that won't make her flinch. She is a trooper.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm glad you posted a picture with this on your PPK and the Hogue number 18200 and are happy with it, but as of the time of this reply Hogue's website does not state this grip sleeve is a exact fit or alternative fit for the PPK.
It does show a picture with the bersa thunder 380 with one on it, which is pretty close to a ppk.

I could not find anything rubber on hogue's site stating a PPK fit or alternative fit.

I'm buying one on based on your post.

thanks.
THIS GRIP WILL ALSO FIT AND FUNCTION WELL ON THE FOLLOWING FIREARMS, THOUGH NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR A PRECISION FIT:
(LARGER FRAME MODELS WILL REQUIRE STRENUOUS EFFORT TO INSTALL GRIP)
• Beretta 85
• Bersa BP9CC and Thunder 380
• FNS 9C
• Heckler and Koch 45C
• Mossberg MC1 SC
• Ruger LC9 and SR22
• Smith and Wesson M&P Shield: 9mm, .40, .45
• Sar Arms Sar B6P
• SIG SAUER E2 P224
• Taurus PT111 Millennium G2, 709
• Walther PPS, PPS M2, PK380, PPK, PPK/S

·
Registered
186 Posts
I never shoot a full box of .380s for a couple of reasons...first, I don't need to. A couple of mags to tune myself up will do for me. But second, and importantly, hell I can't afford to go through 50 rounds routinely. How much is that a box? It's not like the .380s are pleasurable to shoot a lot, either. The recoil for the limited amount I shoot isn't a problem (though it is a bit "snappy" as everyone says) and I don't get slide bite, but I might if I went through a box or two of ammo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never shoot a full box of .380s for a couple of reasons...first, I don't need to. A couple of mags to tune myself up will do for me. But second, and importantly, hell I can't afford to go through 50 rounds routinely. How much is that a box? It's not like the .380s are pleasurable to shoot a lot, either. The recoil for the limited amount I shoot isn't a problem (though it is a bit "snappy" as everyone says) and I don't get slide bite, but I might if I went through a box or two of ammo.
Before ammo became scarce, I was getting .380 for about $.18-20 per round with an Ammo Prime membership from Target Sports USA, so it was practical enough to buy cases of it. That was about the same price as 9mm. Unfortunately, the stuff now costs the same as .45 ACP used to cost, running about $.28-.30 per round. They had it at Aim Surplus ($13.95/ box), and I held my nose and bought a case. Normally, I buy it as I use it, but that left me with only half a case when the crisis hit, so I went ahead and bought a case just because it was available, and there's no telling if it will become more scarce or expensive in the near to distant future.

One of the reasons we go through 200-300 rounds in a range session is that we practice transitioning to multiple targets at a local range where they have a dedicated steel range. Trying to run multiple iterations of those transitions would take only about 10 minutes with just a single box of ammo, so the trip wouldn't be worth it. 300 rounds seem to go by in no time as it is.

My wife never has slide bite problems with her PPK/S, though, because she is tiny and has tiny hands. As long as she wears her fingerless gloves to offset the effects of the sharp edges, she can run that PPK/S for several boxes. The funny thing is that since we got it, she has told me to leave her PPQ in the safe the last couple of times we went to the range. She actually likes the way the PPK/S works for her better. To her, the recoil is lighter, and it fits her tiny hands even better. I had no idea how much she would end up liking it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all, please tell me where I can get a Beaver tail for my PPK 7,65 German one ?Best regards from Chile
If you are referring to the Hogue grip that was pictured in the earlier post, I have one on order from a company called Midway USA. I am not sure if they ship products outside of the U.S., but I would recommend you start with them. The address is www.midwayusa.com.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I just installed the Hogue Handall on the PPK/S. It was a royal pain, though. I let it set in some scalding hot water in the sink to soften it up and stretched it to get it to go on. The wife likes it much better with it on there.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I wasn’t manly enough, apparently. I put one of those Hogue sleeves on my IA PPK .380 and it still wasn’t pleasant enough to want to shoot, so off to Gunbroker it went. My ZM PPK in .32 needs no help to be a pleasant shooter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts