Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the Walther/Colt 1911 .22 Rail Gun model last month and the thing is a huge piece of crap.

The safety lever gets jammed, rendering it inoperable. The safety plunger/detent locks up during use - seems to jam upon the frame/safety plunger lever tube. This happens with 100% reliability if the slide is manipulated/pulled at all with the safety on.

Also, when I went to remove the grip screws. The damn anchor threads came undone from the frame before the grip screws (so I ended up with a grip/stock pancaked inbetween the grip screws and the anchor threading). I wouldn't have minded so much if this was the only issue, but its not.

I contacted Walther to see about resolving this. They asked me some questions to help troubleshoot. They told me it would have to be sent in for service.

I asked if instead they could mail me a new safety plunger, safety plunger spring and a thumb safety lever and they refused. Told me it would have to be sent in for service, with all the inconvenience that entails.

Not happy to say the least. This thing comes off like a cheap piece of crap and frankly I'd almost rather throw it in the trash than deal with the pain of shipping it back.

This is the 2nd time Walther screwed me on a .22. My p22CA is basically hot garbage, too. The only thing it's useful for is practicing malfunction drills.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well... It may be that the safety plunger was staked incorrectly... I'm not 100% sure... it 'looks' okay and isn't even slightly loose - but obviously functions ... not okay. If that is the case that isn't something i'd be willing to do myself and changing out the plunger, spring and lever probably won't help.

Still... come on Walther/UMAREX :fist:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your pistol troubles. Many people on this forum dislike Umarex but my 1911 Government Model and P22 have been flawless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased the Walther/Colt 1911 .22 Rail Gun model last month and the thing is a huge piece of crap.

The safety lever gets jammed, rendering it inoperable. The safety plunger/detent locks up during use - seems to jam upon the frame/safety plunger lever tube. This happens with 100% reliability if the slide is manipulated/pulled at all with the safety on.

Also, when I went to remove the grip screws. The damn anchor threads came undone from the frame before the grip screws (so I ended up with a grip/stock pancaked inbetween the grip screws and the anchor threading). I wouldn't have minded so much if this was the only issue, but its not.

I contacted Walther to see about resolving this. They asked me some questions to help troubleshoot. They told me it would have to be sent in for service.

I asked if instead they could mail me a new safety plunger, safety plunger spring and a thumb safety lever and they refused. Told me it would have to be sent in for service, with all the inconvenience that entails.

Not happy to say the least. This thing comes off like a cheap piece of crap and frankly I'd almost rather throw it in the trash than deal with the pain of shipping it back.

This is the 2nd time Walther screwed me on a .22. My p22CA is basically hot garbage, too. The only thing it's useful for is practicing malfunction drills.

My new 1911 22lr is doing the same thing with the safety. What did you do to resolve the issue. I did research this and other 22lr 1911 and never saw anything bad about this model. I guess I should have looked a little further.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to say I never did get it fixed. I was so mad I just tossed it in the safe and have only used it a handful of times since then. This post kind of reminded me maybe I should...

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Internet diagnosis is difficult at best. Without photos that help explain the issue it is almost impossible unless someone has a lot of experience with that particular pistol, knows what the problem is first hand and what to do about it if anything. Ft. Smith should send you an e-mail shipping label, they take it from there all on their dime. I might be able to help with the P22 since I'm pretty familiar with them and the issues that have shown up over the years. PP, PPK issues show up all the time that plenty of folks here could solve pistol in hand...but not over the net without details and especially when someone not familiar with their pistol is asking. 1917

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
If I'm understanding the issue correctly the problem is that the safety can't be lowered once the pistol is cocked and locked. On a Colt 1911 the plunger/spring assembly fits into a small detent to hold the safety in the up/safe/locked position. It appears this pistol works similarly. If this is the problem and it were mine I would have a close look at the interaction between the plunger/detent. Is the spring/plunger extremely stiff and hard to press in or is it pretty easily pressed in...no safety installed. Are the plunger ends fitted into the inner spring properly so that the plunger can be depressed into the tube as designed?

Next I would have a close look at the fitment of the plunger into the detent on the safety lever. If the detent is too deep or with too sharp of an edge it would be difficult for downward pressure to ramp the upper edge of the detent against the plunger in such a manner that it could wedge the detent forward and back into the tube. With the safety off does the plunger easily press forward into the tube? Does it slide forward smoothly and easily if you apply pressure from the top side while pressing it forward? In other words...is the plunger binding if pressure is applied off center, especially front the top. If all of this seems good then we need to take a closer look at the detent on the safety.

If the plunger is simply dropping into a hole from which pressure can't ramp/wedge the plunger forward then the top of the detent is going to need a bit of relief. Perhaps it is too deep, perhaps the edge is too sharp. This is not an expensive part...always work on the cheapest part if possible. If the above seems to be the problem I would look at can I relieve the top edge of the detent hole so that the plunger can be pressed forward with more leverage without destroying the function of the part. Photos, have you got some good, sharp, well let photos of the plunger end, detent hole and shape showing track marks of the detent. Seems an easy fix in concept but I could tell much more pistol in hand. 1917

·
Registered
9,908 Posts

Let's use this safety drum and plunger from a PP pistol as an example since you haven't put up any photos of your pistol. As you can see above there is a spring loaded plunger that presses into one of two detents on the safety drum. One holds the safety lever in the safe position and the other in the fire position. I'm thinking your pistol's safety has something similar and if the indentation is too deep, or has too sharp of an edge the plunger isn't easily pressed out of the indentation when you attempt to rotate it.

In this photo you can see the shape of the plunger and detent. When the drum/detent is rotated it must be able to act on the slanted end of the plunger. You can see where this occurs on the drum and the track the nose of the plunger makes. If the edge with the wear is too sharp, not pressing on the slanted nose of the plunger than you will not be able to rotate the safety. In that situation since you can't make the detent any shallower you would lightly break or relieve the edge of the detent where there is wear. This will effectively lower the edge and smooth it up so that the plunger is more easily lifted out of the detent. Careful, don't take off too much or you can make the safety move too easily.

Another safety drum and plunger from a PP. Note that the plunger is not inserted all the way into the spring. It must be before installation. Here again you can see the track where the nose of the plunger runs when the safety drum is rotated from one position to the other. The safety drum end of this assembly does nothing more than lock the safety in the fire or safe position until the shooter manually overrides it. In order to override it pressure from the sides of the safety drum detent must engage the slanting portion of the plunger causing it to lift away from the indent. Nor should this sidewise and upward pressure cause the plunger pin to bind in the tube as it is pressed away from the drum.

On this well used one you can see wear at the edge of the detent where the plunger runs. The more this wears, the easier the safety will rotate. You could eventually get too much wear and to the point that the safety drum is not help securely in position. If this happens you either need a new drum or some work on the detent with matching work on the plunger....gunsmith or factory type work. Some of us have the equipment to fix something like this but most of us don't. I'm thinking your 1911 detent on the safety is either too deep or the plunger is binding in the tube when the safety tries to press it forward. 1917

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Oh, and the grip screw coming out with the screw... can happen on real Colts as well...new, WWII, or earlier. Blue locktite it down. Let it set up then install the grips/grip screws. 1917

·
Registered
3 Posts
My new 1911 22lr is doing the same thing with the safety. What did you do to resolve the issue. I did research this and other 22lr 1911 and never saw anything bad about this model. I guess I should have looked a little further.
I just picked up my .22 rail gun from a LGS. Same damn thing with the safety. Thumb safety is stuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up my .22 rail gun from a LGS. Same damn thing with the safety. Thumb safety is stuck
Alrighty guys, here is an update. LGS looked at it and ruled it being a new gun the safety detent needed to be worked more? I've never had an issue like this before on a new gun. Anyways, its working and thumb safety will disengage. Seems to shoot cheap without any malfunctions.

I keep this post updated as I shoot the gun more. Sights seem to be way off from the factory. Actually the front sight is in the dovetail WAY to the left

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fixed my safety problem with a new sear spring. Guns fires well with most brands of ammo. The cheaper stuff fouls the ejector quickly and caused some jams. After about 500 rounds, the dam thing has started shooting 3" low. Anybody have this experience? How did you fix it? Know of any after market sights with elevation adjustment that fit the frame? I hate to spend $100 plus on new sights for a 350 gun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update: I finally sent my pistol in after almost a year of procrastinating. From drop off at Fed-Ex to back at my door step was about a weeks time or so.. not bad turnaround!

Appears that they fixed the issue by replacing the safety plunger tube. They also replaced my grip screws, anchor and grips.

Pistol seems to work great now. Everything it ought to have been in the first place. Just too bad they couldn't have gotten it right in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Thanks for the update Hippo. It's good to hear that you got your pistol fixed. I hope that you're able to get some enjoyment out out it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely, good to hear. I've been shooting mine now that the safety issue was corrected. Moved front sight from way left to center and it surprisingly shoots quite well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The local shop near my new house just had to send 3 Rail guns back to Walther with the same issue. We were discussing it and he said he's had several others exhibit the same malfunction. It seems the was a large batch where the safeties were milled incorrectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts