Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my p22 about 14 months ago and up until recently, never had a problem with it. I've shot about 1200 rounds of Remington and always completely cleaned the pistol after returning home each time.

Several weeks ago, the first missfire happened. Then it just ballooned. It missfired 6 out of 10 rounds. Then it fired the next round then another missfire and another and another. I tried a different magazine and it too missfired darned near every round.

I then suspected my ammo but before testing my ammo, I got those missfired rounds and loaded them into my Ruger 10/22 and every one of those previously missfired shells actually fired. That told me it was not the ammo but the pistol.

I contacted the factory and upon inspection and firing it, the factory replied that they could not find any problems with my pistol using CCI Stingers. Since they mentioned using only Stingers, it is now apparent the factory did not fire the same brand of shell that I shot or other brands too. If I could afford to shoot Stingers all the time, I would but they're rather expensive in my area for one thing and I've always shot these Remington shells and never had missfires using them for the past 30 years until I used the P22.

Since I can't rely on the p22 to fire when needed, I am going to clean it up then either trade it in or completely destroy it and then I'll remind myself to never ever buy another Walther. I've heard similar stories on the S&W M22A model as well.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I then suspected my ammo but before testing my ammo, I got those missfired rounds and loaded them into my Ruger 10/22 and every one of those previously missfired shells actually fired. That told me it was not the ammo but the pistol.
That's not a conclusive test. A Ruger 10/22 has a lot more hammer energy than a P22, and primer sensitivity is not the same with all brands or all lots. My own incidence of misfires with Remington .22 rimfire in many different guns is so high that I won't buy it any more.

It's also very odd that this just suddenly happened. Why not scrub out the chamber with a bronze brush and try some ordinary Federal or Winchester (you don't have to spring for Stingers) and see what happens?

M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used Remington shells in Ruger, Colt, Winchester, Savage, S&W, etc., and never had problems getting them to fire till I bought a Walther P22.

I'm done with it. Never again will I ever own a Walther. I sent it to the factory hoping they'd use some common sense and try various ammo brands but they didn't. Not interested anymore. I'm not going to spend any more money on this worthless, undependable hardware that some corporation is trying to pass off as a pistol. It is of no use to me in this condition.

Walther....what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts