Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some pics of a wartime ppk I acquired recently. Unfortuneatly it is a shooter and not a collector since a prior owner had it refinished. But I suspect they did so to get rid of some unsightly pitting caused from rust. I couldn't pass it up because the reblueing was done so beautifully and I got it for less than what a new S&W ppk would cost. Someone also did an action job on the trigger, the DA is super smooth and the SA is crisp and light. It shoots great and is 100% reliable with the 100 or so rounds I put thru it so far.

Eagle N proof on barrel:

Here is the bad part, in order to get rid of the pitting, some of the lettering was buffed out:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PPK Part III

The muzzle end, notice the notch just below the front sight. This was for an optional attachment that was used as a night sight, it held some glow in the dark stuff, I have never seen one in person.

And the rear, notice the rear sight were integral with the slide, thus not drift adjustable, but more concealable for pocket carry. The hammer ring is also very nicely worked at the factory, much smoother to cut down on sharp edges.

Alot of collectors scoff at reblued guns, and I can see their point. To me I would rather have a nicely finished gun, than an ugly pitted up eye sore. But some of those pitted up eye sores bring alot of money! I don't know the history of this ppk, but since it is a 1942 it is a good chance that it was an officers gun since it has no military stamps (German officers had to buy their own sidearms). Someone probably brought it back from Europe, let it sit around for a couple of decades while it rusted on the left side:mad: , then decide to restore it the best they could. I Hope my fellow Walther Forum Members enjoyed the pictures.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Banddr2, you have a wonderful little PPK "K-Suffix" there!! You can shoot the daylights out of it without any worries. Those old German guns feel great in the hand don't they? I like your gun immensely! Great pictures too!
Here's my K-Suffix, it's a shooter too:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice PPK, you look like you are up on your Bond, did Bond use mainly pre war ppk's in the first couple of movies?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well, actually the guns used by Sean Connery in the Bond films were fakes. They were "stand in" guns. Some of the close ups show the gun to not be properly marked except for having the Walther banner.

In the books, our PPK's would be completely proper. Fleming began writing in the early 1950's and these are the guns Bond would have carried. Q Branch would have many of them for issue to the secret agents.

·
Registered
529 Posts
In real life, the SIS bought PPKs from Manurhin, complete with the Manurhin logo information and grips marked as such.

I always thought that was a bummer.

Since they made all of the post war PPKs until 1986, I guess they deserve some credit.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that is all very interesting. I have a VHS "Dr. No", and on the cover is Sean Connery clearly holding a wartime or pre war PPK. Maybe you are familiar with the VHS I am speaking of. I was just thinking since Bond is a post WWII character, ppk's would not of been available until Manhurin was up and running, but Manhurin would of been up and going in plenty of time for Dr. No I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wartime PP in .32

I just purchases a strange PP I found in a small shop. It is a PP in .32 cal. The clip in it reads Walther banner 9m/m, but it is definately a .32. The strangest issues are it's "unfinished" condition. There is no, no writing on left of slide, and was not inscribes since has an original finish. On the right side of the slide is a serial number 388238 p, with an ac (wartime code for Walther factory). The frame has serial number of 393688 p. There are no other markings on the pistol. All the proof marks (I have a wartime PPK in .32with Nazi proofmarks) are missing. Additionally, the loaded chamber pin was never installed, the hole was not drilled. The overall finish is similiar to the PPK my father brought back (dark blued slide, straw-purplish frame). I am thinking this pistol was assembled in the last weeks or even days of the war at Zella-Mellis factory. If anyone has any ideas, send me an email at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
CMJ: I'd send a post and a picture or two (if you have them) over to the P38/PPK Forum:

http://forums.p38forum.com/index.htm

Some of the folks who reside at that forum seem to specialize in this sort of thing; some of them even wrote the book on the wartime Walthers and are well-versed. If you browse the site, you'll also find valuable information that might help as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchases a strange PP I found in a small shop. It is a PP in .32 cal. The clip in it reads Walther banner 9m/m, but it is definately a .32. The strangest issues are it's "unfinished" condition. There is no, no writing on left of slide, and was not inscribes since has an original finish. On the right side of the slide is a serial number 388238 p, with an ac (wartime code for Walther factory). The frame has serial number of 393688 p. There are no other markings on the pistol. All the proof marks (I have a wartime PPK in .32with Nazi proofmarks) are missing. Additionally, the loaded chamber pin was never installed, the hole was not drilled. The overall finish is similiar to the PPK my father brought back (dark blued slide, straw-purplish frame). I am thinking this pistol was assembled in the last weeks or even days of the war at Zella-Mellis factory. If anyone has any ideas, send me an email at [email protected]
I have a .32 caliber Walther PP that is marked same on frame and slide 3843XXP ac, no other markings are shown. No loaded chamber indicator either (or provision for it) Grips are black plastic, appear to be original. I read somewhere the very latest WWII ones might have mismatched numbers (assemble by GI's) and some had beechwood grips as plastic was hard to come by.

My dad bought it from a guy in a bar in the early '60's and he carried it for about 30 years as his ccw before I traded him for a very similar FFG copy of the PP in .380. The machining and lack of tool marks shows it was not a total rush job and there is the fine squiggly pattern on on top of slide front to rear but what is left of the blue finish is very poor, almost purple and in many places it is bare due to daily carry. Guy at gun show told me lit was likely never finished well like early and pre war guns, he put production at 1944 but I never have verified it past that. It does shoot well and is much smoother working than my mid '90's Interarms PPK/S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts