Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my PPK back from the gunsmifh for a reblue job. Several forum members advised against spending money in a reblue but I did it anyway. Just installed a nice set of Altamont grips on it snd I am very happy.

There was a lot of pitting on the slide but I asked my gunsmith to not buff out the original Walther markings on the slide. He left a couple of very faint blemishes on the slide but didnot buff out the Walther scroll work just as I requested.

I have had many PPK AND PPK/s’s over the years as a state LEO detective. I always felt that the .32 guns were better than the .380 models. I decided a long time ago that I wanted a German made .32 PPK, but $1,400 to $2,000 was a little out pf my range (my first .32 PPK I bought in 1966 for $50 while on a city PD).

Got this one for $600 plus $250 for re-finishing and $80 for the grips (plus it came with an extra slide that I can probably sell for $100).

Looking forward to some range time. It worked great before the refinishing, so I don’t think I will be disappointed.

Trooper Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nice work. At a certain point if a gun is a shooter and rebluing want affect the price, I say go for it if it will enhance the beauty of the pistol and restore it to its originally intended glory as a weapon and a work of art.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
It looks great, and Altamont grips are the deal of the world; nicely fit and finished, and reasonably priced.
One of the great mysteries of modern gunmaking are the 'distressed' brand new guns.

Moon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the range today. The gun is very, very accurate. However, the hammer was riding down with the slide most of the time requiring either cocking the hammer or shooting it double action.

Just for grins, I put the stock grips on it, but it did not help.

Did some research and decided to replace the hammer block spring (just happened to have most of a Wolff “rebuild” spring kit with me).

I also decided to leave the gun locked open for a few days to see if that will help the new recoil spring “break in” a little.

The old hammer block spring had hardly any tension in it at all.

Love this gun and I am not worried about dialing it in.

JUST A SIDE NOTE: In 1965, when stripping down my first .32 German war time PPK, I lost the hammer block spring. I made a replacement from a ball point pen spring. It work 100% as long as I had the gun.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
568 Posts
Trooper Joe, do you think your extra slide would work on my PP of roughly the same vintage? I’m thinking maybe I could end up with a PPK/s if I could swap out a slide and barrel and keep from having to spend a huge amount of money.

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Rev', changing out the barrel on a PP can be challenging.
Moon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Trooper Joe, do you think your extra slide would work on my PP of roughly the same vintage? I’m thinking maybe I could end up with a PPK/s if I could swap out a slide and barrel and keep from having to spend a huge amount of money.
Rev,
Check the PM I sent you. I think I tried this slide on my German made (about 1960) .380 PP when I was home. If I remember correctly, it seemed to fit OK.

I would not believe it would it would be much of a problem shortening you PP barrel without removing it from the frame.

Trooper Joe

WOW weird thumbnail. Oh well, you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here is a thought–what if you fit the PPK slide and recoil spring but didn’t cut the PP barrel flush? You could leave a bit of the barrel exposed, then have it threaded for optional ‘accessories’ and go Full Hollywood Secrent Agent! :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Maybe we can revisit the 'barrel change' thing in a PP series. My impression is that it is a very tight, if not press, fit.
As regards cutting it in place, my local smith doesn't like to do that, and prefers to be able to turn it (to cut or thread) out of the gun...such may not be the case with all 'smiths.
At some point, that ol' devil money will raise its head, too.
Moon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thread correction

I made a mistake on my original post. The grips were from Grips 4 u ( at GRIPS4u.net ).

They were for German made PPKs only (not for Interarms or S & W). They fit perfectly, in contrast to some PPK grips I purchased several years ago from another supplier for my Interarms PPK.

Haven’t got back to the range with my hammer block spring repair but hope to be there soon.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Range trip report

Just got back from the range. The hammer block spring was all it needed.

Shot 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot .32 fmj ammo with no problems.

Really happy with this gun.

Trooper Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts