Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a muzzle Brake for my PPQ 4TAC 9mm from Wing Tactical and wanted to let everyone know that it DOES NOT work. Shoot the first round and it fouls the ejection and won't chamber the next round. This is using the lighter of the two recoil springs supplied shooting 115g target loads. I contacted Wing Tactical and they suggested a 2lb lighter spring but no one makes one (including Wolf). To make a long story short they won't refund my money no matter how hard I tried so I now have a $44 paper weight!:(:( Beware the Wing Tactical!!

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Yep, you'll get more bang for your buck shooting hi-velocity ammo....not so much with 115 grain target loads. Wing Tactical is absolutely correct, you need to match the recoil spring to the recoil being produced. The compensator is going to reduce the recoil, so it stands to reason you'll need to use a lighter recoil spring.

You're right, Wolf doesn't make the spring you need. You could always try the 'red' Q5 spring, as its a little weaker than the silver spring. Or, you can pick up a steel guide rod (there are a few on the market...captured or non-captured) and use a Wilson Combat spring. Wilson carries springs down to 13 lbs.

Here's the springs I run....got the springs from Wilson Combat. I use a variety of guide rods...for captured, I use these https://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/ tell em' NOT to use loc-tite on the screw. For a non-captured rod, I use these https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/zrts-firearm-accessories/walther-ppq-uncaptured-stainless-guide-rod/ . Uncaptured rods can make it a little tricky getting the spring on the rod and installed in the gun....takes a little practice. If you go the uncaptured route, I can provide a little trick to make it easier.

Here's the springs. I've already got em' all mounted up on guide rods and ready to go. When you order the Wilson springs....you're only getting the spring.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
+1 on OF advice.

I run the SS Guide Rods part in my Q45, with a 22# Wilson Combat spring.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Which one?

https://www.wingtactical.com/9mm-muzzle-devices/

Most of those look like they'd be more in place in a pistol caliber carbine, but some are advertised as pistol brakes. You want to take a look at the weight of the compensator before purchasing one if it is going on a pistol with a tilting barrel. The lighter the better in regards to function using factory parts, like springs.

Also, the more effective the compensator at redirecting gas out of the ports, the more it will slow down the slide as it reciprocates to the rear after firing a round, which is why you would want a lighter spring, to help the slide cycle all the way to the rear so that it would have enough momentum on the way back to pick up the next round and get the pistol back in battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts