Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn’t happy with the rear sight on my PPQ .22. As delivered, my pistol was shooting high. The vertical adjustment screw on my initial sight felt extremely notchy as I tried to adjust the group lower, then the screw stripped out. I returned the slide to Walther and they fixed me up with a new sight. Even with the screw bottomed out on this sight, it was shooting high. I use the pistol for steel challenge completion. Many competitors have been switching to optical sights for their pistols, so I began searching for a way to mount an optical on my .22. Here’s what I ended up with and some photos.

I couldn’t find anyone making an optical mount specifically for the PPQ .22. However, I’ve read a few messages in the forum here that indicated a S&W M&P rear sight fits the PPQ .22. Outerimpact makes a dovetail plate for the S&W M&P that will work with a variety of Red Dot sights (as shown on their product information page). The item is the Red Dot Adapter/Mount for Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol — M.R.A. I bought mine on Amazon.

The stock rear sight on the PPQ .22 is a loose fit. Once the hold down screw is loosened, the sight comes out easily. My advice is to remove the screw completely and use care removing the sight so as not to damage the very small spring under the sight blade. My caliper is old and crude, but it measured the width of the bottom of the sight at 1.15 cm. The Outerimpact dovetail mount measured slightly wider at about 1.16 cm. It fit in the sight groove on the slide easily by hand. The optical mounting plate attaches to the dovetail mount by two Torx flathead screws that hold the dovetail mount securely in place. If you want to attach one of the supported red dots, check the instructions on the Opterimpact product page and you’re done.

In my case, I wanted the Holosun HS507C. Holosun says that sight fits a Trijicon RMR mount. The Outerimpact mount supports the Trijicon RMR. The problem is, the screws supplied by Outerimpact with the mount for the Trijicon are 6-40 x 0.406” which, when used to try and mount the Holosun, are too long in that they come out below the mounting plate. Holosun includes mounting screws with the sight but they are 6-32 rather than 6-40 and won’t work. The proper screw must be long enough to engage most of the threads in the screw hole without extending past the bottom of the plate. Outerimpact told me that even the slightly shorter screw you find at a hardware store may be too long.

A 6-40 screw is hard to find locally. The screws I ordered online were from Fastenal, 6-40 x 3/8” (0.375”) Hex Drive Black Oxide Finish Alloy Steel Flat Socket Cap Screw, part number 24541. That screw fit just about perfectly.

I test shot the setup today and surprisingly, it was very close from the get-go. The target shown was at 12 yards. It was a bit high, so I adjusted it lower and put a few more rounds on it.

Don't forget the blue threadlocker on all screws during final assembly.

Stock sights on gun

Stock sights off gun

Outerimpact mount package

Mount items for installing on PPQ .22

Mount with pins in plate

Dovetail mount in PPQ .22 rear sight groove

Mounted plate side view

Mounted plate top view
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55ca7c07e4b03b6dcce7fb01/5bf8820803ce64e76c10bebf/5c70ba57f4e1fc9f85b0d1e5/1550891609381/_7202641.jpg?format=2500w

Holosun HS507C package contents (included mount for picatinny rail)

Holosun HS507C sight

Fastenal, 6-40 x 3/8” Hex Drive Black Oxide Finish Alloy Steel Flat Socket Cap Screw, part number 24541

Fastenal 6-40 x 3/8” screw fully seated as seen from the bottom
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55ca7c07e4b03b6dcce7fb01/5bf8820803ce64e76c10bebf/5c70ba5915fcc0236aeede59/1550891610520/_7202679.jpg?format=2500w

Sight fully mounted

12 yard test target

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool project. Any issues with the slide cycling with the extra weight? How reliable has it been? What ammo are you using? All High velocity like CCI Minimags or are you able to use standard velocity target rounds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a box of 50 CCI standard velocity .22's and ran those through today to see if there were any cycling issues. None, the pistol ate them all plus another 100 rounds of MiniMags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How has this setup been working for you? Any issues with the slide cycling?
Works great. I'm very happy with it. I use it for weekly steel challenge shooting. I shoot CCI mini mags consistently but I once ran a couple of boxes of standard velocity .22's through it as someone asked if it cycled with those. No problem, worked fine. I've read on forums where some guys say not to shoot high velocity Mini Mags because of the aluminum slide. I called Walther about it and they said the CCI Mini Mags are one of the loads they recommend so that's what I keep using. I had a couple jams in the first few hundred rounds when the pistol was new a few years ago but it's been as reliable as a stone since then. The mount and red dot have held up well no change in zero point and no cycling problems.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went with the EWG sight mount which is made for the PPQ .22 and a Burris FF3. Shot 150 rounds of Blazers and 100 of CCI standard velocity. Only had 2 FTFs with the standard CCI. Only needed minimal elevation adjustment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the EWG sight mount which is made for the PPQ .22 and a Burris FF3. Shot 150 rounds of Blazers and 100 of CCI standard velocity. Only had 2 FTFs with the standard CCI. Only needed minimal elevation adjustment.
Thanks for the info. Best of luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts