Walther Forums banner

More Useful?; Laser or Tac Light? - Which is more useful?

• Laser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tactical Light

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price aside, if you had to choose ONE between these two, which would you choose and why? I am looking for pros and cons as to the usefulness of each, especially in a defensive situation.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I picked the tac-light, because the lasers really don't work that well. We tried some a couple of years ago at a night shoot and you couldn't see the dot very well. And it's much better to blind a goblin with a bright light. It gives you that much more of an advantage. Plus a person who practices will be much faster using their natural trained reflexes than to rely on finding some little red dot on the perp.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I agree. In a tactical situation where you plan on maybe having to fire as opposed to a self defense situation, the lamp is more practical.

The laser looks better though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thank you all for your input

P88, thank you for your assessment of the laser during a night shoot. I was interested in how much faster a target can be acquired with a laser over regular sights, but what you said makes good sense.

Now I'm wondering...are there holsters out there that can carry a P99 both with and without a tac-light? Or would a separate holster for each be required?

·
Registered
39 Posts
isnt a laser not so much about acquiring your target quickly but for keeping your target acquired accurately while taking or behind cover without exposing yourself to the BG? thats what i thought.

DJ

·
Registered
411 Posts
By the time you hunt around and verify the laser is on target..... you could have had night sights already lined up and fired some shots.
Now as a cat toy......... laser wins hands down.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
HEY! Speaking of Tactical Lights, I still have two left! Just in time for Christmas

See my P99 Laser Devices Tactical Light

$153 Shipped USPS Priority Mail in the Continental USA. (USPS Money Orders preferred).

Regards,
James

·
Registered
91 Posts
How about another option, Tritium night sights.  You can acquire site picture on the target without revealing your position.  Otherwise, an armed BG will simply shoot at the light.

...and an accessory rail is not required.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gmchenry, I've been thinking about the tritium sights. Does anybody know where I can get one dirt cheap? $85 or whatever they're asking at Earl's seems a bit steep to me. I figure it'll be easier to get a Surefire flashlight than to get a tac-light to fit to the accessory rail on the P99, especially since most holsters do not accomodate a weapon with an accesory mounted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts