Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters, I took the advise and purchased some CCI Stingers and Minimags plus I also polished the feed ramp. This seemed to fix all the issues with FTF and FTE's I was experiancing.
Thanks for the tips.

Now, I noticed while cleaning that the slide catch is carving away at the bottom edge of the slide and there is some serious wear on the hump on the right slide plate. At this time I am sending it back to S&W.
Any comments or suggestion?
Please HELP

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just joined this forum because I have this same wear problem and just got my gun back minutes ago.

I sent an email to S&W/Walther with pictures of the wear. They replied to send it in for repair.

On the paper sent back with the gun it says it was "Inspected/Tested & Passed" and "Replace Front Sight."

However, I did not have any problem with the front sight.

Then in the plastic box there is a piece of masking tape that says, "Wear marks are normal."

This worries me. I think the rails are disintegrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is my ammo log:
Walther 22
250 CCI Standard Vel
182 CCI Standard Vel
100 CCI Subsonic
070 CCI MiniMag
050 CCI Velociter
050 CCI Stinger
050 REM Viper
020 REM Yellow Jacket
100 REM High Vel 1600
010 WIN Power-Point

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have shot only 400 rounds.
50 CCI Velocitor
150 federal (Bulk)
100 CCI Minimag
100 CCI Stinger
And my poor little p22 is getting tore up. It will be very interesting to see what S&W will come back with. This makes me wonder what the life of these guns truely will be.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a 5" bbl P22, made in Germany in 2002.

I just passed the 3K+ rounds mark and I have yet to notice any wear and tear on it (frame/slide/etc.). However, I have never shot anything hotter than High Velocity (Remingtons and Sellier & Belliot) as most of the fodder the pistol likes is Standard Velocity, particularly Eley Standard and SK Standard Plus (same as the Wolf-brand in the States).

Today, at the range, I managed several timed (10 seconds), five-shot-strings @ 25m, on a C5 target: Average score for each 10-shots was 87/100, freehand.

A friend shot it also (he usually borrows it and shoots it w/his own chosen ammo), and got better results than me. Mostly Xs.

Crete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Strange.  I notice a little bit of wear on my slide obviously, but nothing like what you guys are describing.  I bought mine just a few weeks ago and I have around 1000 rounds through it.  Remington Golden bullits were ok at first, but after I "helped" the magazine feed and polished the ejector they worked great.  Federal bulk hollows were not good.  Again, after I polished the ejector and clipped a little spring in the mag they were not bad, but the remingtons were much better.  I am shooting winchester wildcat high velocity bulk right now and it is working beatifully, no problems whatsoever.  I've also shot minimags out of it(those were the first rounds I ever put through it) with no problem.  

I'm more happy with mine every time I use it, it just keeps getting better and during the last 300-400 rounds it's just been super.  No failures of any kind.  It could be a little better as far as the stock magazine, but other than that I really like it.

BTW, is there really such thing as an american P22? I have mine is auf deutschsland, and I know that there are plenty of S&W 99s as well as some that seem to be half and half, but I haven't seen on the internet any pictures of P22s that seem to be made in america, nor are any that I have seen for sale.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Without being entirely sure, it seems to me that US-imported P22s (from the German factory in bits and pieces) are assembled and marked w/the importer's markings in the US (there is a variety of markings/assembly lines (?)). These P22s are referred to as "US-made", as opposed to the "real" thing that came out of the German assembly line in one piece.

Theoretically the two sorts ought to be the same in specs as well as in function. But, from the little I gathered over the past year or so, they appear not to be the same. Or are they? Could some other factor(s) be involved?

The "German" ones appear to work flawlessly, while the "US-made" appear to be plagued with issues.

Some may say that US users tend to shoot Hi Vel or Hyper Vel ammo, while the Europeans use mainly Standard or Subsonic ammo in their P22. Consequently, the US owners wear the little pistol more readily than the Europeans, because the Standard/Subsonic ammo when employed in quantity is not too punishing. On the contrary, thousands of Hyper Vel stuff could be blamed for signs of excessive tear and wear experienced. But even those seem to continue to work, regardless of entropy.

Also, in Europe the P22 usually ends up in the hands of experienced shooters who know from past experience that no arm is ever shot straight out the box without a good cleaning.

From my part most of the people I know (in several European countries) who got their P22 new, they stripped it and cleaned it first, before starting to break it in (usually) with some Hi Vel ammo, before settling down to the use of Standards and Subsonics. While in the US the P22 is often purchased as a first pistol and mistakenly is taken out to the range with all the cosmoline-laden mechanism and factory lubed/greased magazines (intended to keep the arm in storage until sold), and start shooting it with Stingers and Velocitors.

Experienced American owners who have cleaned their P22, before using it, encounter fewer if any issues and normal wear, just like us in Europe.

Crete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the P22 is my second gun. I spent a week taking it apart and cleaning it and lubing it and getting to know it before I shot it at the range. I have close to 2000 rounds through it and I'm shocked at the how its been chewed up. I'm not super experienced, but the wear I have on my gun does not look normal. I'm thinking of taking some digital photos and sending to Walther (S&W) to see if it is or not. I have put only high vel. ammo through it as the manual says. I love shooting the gun, but have been un-happy with some of its workings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts