Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All and thanks for a great site from a newbie. After much reading I seem to get a hint that there is a date range for a P99 which is more preferable. I've searched for links but to no avail. I recall replies praising various members who scored an '02 or '03 and saying how lucky they were to get the earlier one. I am in the market for an AS model but would greatly appreciate any help with this date issue before settling into the search. Are newer models lacking parts or finishing? I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I purchased multiple P99s (new/recent manufacturer) within the last year and they are flawless. They go bang every time, are more accurate than I'll ever be, and I am not aware of any systemic/repetitive issues with the latest crop of guns whether it be the $$ all-German or hybrid German/SW P99. Isolated stuff happens with any gun however.

There are other guns I would advise to steer clear of. The P99 in its current configuration is not one of them. If you delay your purchase to search every nook and cranny for that special year, you will be delaying IMHO a lot of fun and the pride in ownership that goes with it. My 2-cents. Your mileage may differ.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 2007 has been completely flawless. Completely.

While i am in the process of getting a pre-04 model, i dont expect it to be any better in terms of accuracy or reliability. I just want one as a spare, and like the look of the older frame. But in terms of pure shooting, a brand-new 07/08 is the perfect choice.

thorn

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have not read or heard of any performance differences connected to made-date. The only difference besides asthetics is the trigger gaurd and the mag release lever. I have an 04p99as and would not trade it even for a brand spankin new 08 model due to the mag release. I personaly like the shorter level(the 05+?{correct me if I'm wrong fellas} has longer mag levers), in combo with me being able to activate the level effeciantly, it also looks better(to me) But cheers on the p99 purchase in advance, you WILL NOT be disappointed, and no, I am not just saying that because I own one. I have owned mine barand new since the mid-end of 03 and have yet to have a problem......with the gun itself. Mild problem with the mag plates, but S&W fixed it right up with no charge. More than likely you will not have a problem with the mag floor plates. But just in case, if you do happen to get an 04 .40cal p99as you might want to contact s&W shortly after purchase so they can replace those plates(they cracked rendering them useless)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I dont' believe there is one, it comes down to if you have a preference on the aesthetics of the older models, or the shorter mag release of the middle models, or the longer mag release of the recent models. Some people are just building a collection and want examples of each.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If I had to put them into order I think the 2004 model would be on the top of my list for short mag release, open rail and new style slide serrations
then there would be the early Interarms imported P99 with the split trigger
then the early P99(AS) with the green frame as these are not made in green anymore
overall these are only cosmetics.... there is no difference in them as far as how well they shoot or if you are trying to find out if there was ever a "bad" year of P99's....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts