Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Old Dominion. I noticed a couple of threads about ammo for the PPK/S (Fort Smith) and I thought I'd share my experience, as little as it is. Maybe I can help someone, or more likely someone here can tell me I'm heading in the right direction, or totally out wack.

I picked up a "Fort Smith" PPK/S in 22 a week or so ago. I've got a couple...three hundred rounds through it over that time. Fun little gun that I really like. It's a range toy, so I'm not going to get upset over the occasional malfunction.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Wood

I've tried a couple different types of ammo. Some brown box, Federal bulk pack from Wally World, and some CCI Stingers. No problem with the Stingers. That stuff brings the gun to life.

The Federal stuff works fine also...as long as the gun is being fired in S/A mode. In D/A it seems to short stroke the slide. Most of the time, it will extract/eject the spent case, but the next round will require a tap to fully seat the round. After that, in S/A the mag empties like it should. If I decock the hammer and try D/A again, it will do the same thing.

I suspect this is an ammo problem. Like I said, with the Stingers, it's been perfect. I also suspect it will get better with use. Sound about right?

How much lub do you put on these things? I'm normally a "drop here, drop there" type guy. Twenty-two's especially, in my experience don't like a lot of oil what with the gritty power/residue, but I might be wrong on that with these gun. Normally I'm a revolver guy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It is always hard to see but sometimes the magazine lips need bent in slightly to help feeding issues. These wonderful pistols can be very ammo sensitive, though. If the Stingers work well in yours, try to stay with them. They aren't cheap, though, like everything else. CCI sells available ammo directly. Check their website. Postage adds to the cost unless you order over $100. Maximums apply. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Follow up on the PPK/S. I gave it a good cleaning, and lubing, we went back to the range. This time we took along some CCI Mini-Mags. Those things work beautifully. After 100 rounds of those, I switched back to the old "Wally World" brown box Federal bulk pack, and those worked 100% with the exception of one "dud" round that survived three different strikes in three different places on the shell. I guess it really was a "dud."

The "king" still appears to be the CCI "Stinger." It's listed velocity is 1640 FPS, (out of a rifle barrel I'm sure) and it has noticably more "POP" and even a little more recoil than the more mundane ammo I've tried. That and the slick "silver" case really seems to conspire to make the little gun rock.

Reactions: Redcat94
1 - 3 of 3 Posts