Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1-As am retired, shoot almost every day....normally rotate guns and shoot a different one each day-CZ SP 01, CZ P 01, Walther PPQm2 9mm, and Sig P365. Is this a good idea, or should I concentrate on one gun for a few days, then do same with next gun, etc.

2 Am age 75 and shooting 11mos. Luckily I am in good health-go to gym daily. If I hold my hands out, they are steady as a rock.....but sometimes I have problems holding muzzle on the target- a little of the wobbles, I guess. Today I shot great, yesterday not so good, and lousy groups.

Thoughts on the above, and other ideas on improving shoothing accuracy appreciated (yep, I know...one big one is practice, practice)

·
Registered
26 Posts
1-As am retired, shoot almost every day....normally rotate guns and shoot a different one each day-CZ SP 01, CZ P 01, Walther PPQm2 9mm, and Sig P365. Is this a good idea, or should I concentrate on one gun for a few days, then do same with next gun, etc.

2 Am age 75 and shooting 11mos. Luckily I am in good health-go to gym daily. If I hold my hands out, they are steady as a rock.....but sometimes I have problems holding muzzle on the target- a little of the wobbles, I guess. Today I shot great, yesterday not so good, and lousy groups.

Thoughts on the above, and other ideas on improving shoothing accuracy appreciated (yep, I know...one big one is practice, practice)
Good for you, keep it up. If there's a particular pistol you are more inclined to carry, I'd practice with that one more often than the others.

No harm in practicing with all of them, but I think it's important that you prioritize becoming very familiar with your carry gun(s). Accuracy to be sure, but accuracy is a composition/combination of draw, grip, sight alignment, trigger control, one/two/off-hand shooting, etc. Each element requiries sharpening until it's instinctual.

Invest in some training early on, before you ingrain some bad habits.

And don't discount the value of dry fire for all of the above.

Just my 2¢.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Everytime you go the the range, what’s your goal? I try to have a goal every time. Always focuse on something. Some days are better than others. Sometimes I can’t miss.

Develop a series of drills, score yourself, try something different and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Shooting multiple guns is fine. Be familiar with all of them but also if you can begin to narrow it down to what I would call “your kids”. Mine are a set of just 3 in rotation for various reason, mostly weather and clothing related, different tools for different reasons. Looser clothing and cooler weather, I’m picking up my SIG P225A1. Summer and hot, I’m in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts or a tee so I’m using my Shield or PP/PPKS in a waistband. holster.

Only one thing I am concerned about is the presence of a thumb safety on the Shield. The rest are DA/SA. In stress, I better instinctively know what firearm I’m carrying in that split second.

As you are a fairly new shooter, and if you carry defensively, choose that one gun to carry and shoot that gun a lot. I’d get to know it like my very own child.

Reactions: RegisG

·
Registered
85 Posts

We ALL have off days at the range. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you never seem to achieve what you'd like to achieve. Maybe you're a little tired, hungry, dehydrated, or stressed. Maybe you're trying too hard to improve something that day, and you're overriding the basics that got you to be an accurate shot in the first place.

Don't let it get to you. If needed, call it a day. One "off" day doesn't make you a failure, and you don't have to explain a mediocre range visit to anyone.....

Including yourself:)!

Don

·
Registered
555 Posts
If I hold my hands out, they are steady as a rock.....
That reminded me of something:

On a less facetious note: I'm not so long out of the Starting Box myself and I found that dry-firing practice with a laser system helped enormously. I use the SureStrike laser cartridge together with the software programme from L.A.S.R. ,now called Shooter Technology Group
At home I have a 10 meter precision (bullseye) range as well as a 5 meter range for holster drills such as the 5 cm Dot Torture and the 2.5cm black dots.

The quoted website sells all the stuff needed for this, including the SureStrike cartridges (both laser and infra red) as well as various targets in the form of software plug-ins and real cardboard targets. I have no business association with the company - just a happy user.

Although a system like this is no substitute for live-fire practice, it can sharpen up your precision before going to the range and help you get to the level of accuracy you desire without otherwise wasting a lot of ammunition.

Balor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts