Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away for a while, chasing other DA/SA guns. The P99 was my 'first' in a sense. Got so enamored recently with the P30 after working it over, I thought - sheesh - why not dump my P99 for another P30.

So, I went to the range and shot the P99 again - glad I did. WOW - is this gun amazing - truly amazing, easy to shoot, reliable, and VERY accurate. I'm BACK - and the P99 is here to STAY!!!

Some guns need to be dialed in - NOT the P99 - I can pick it up and shoot it well with no train up.

They NEED to make this bubba in OD Green again!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
They need to make it in a steel frame. Yes they do.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great guns. Replace the FPB spring and put in an 11 LB HS and GTG.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Agreed with Jan, the P99 compact or full-size is an excellent pistol, one of Walther’s best. My P99c AS remains the only poly striker-fired pistol in my collection. It is my home defense pistol, and is has been for years.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me summarize:

Pros - best mag release ever made
Trigger is DA/SA and VERY shootable
SA and Reset is exceptional, and despite the curvature, the trigger itself is extremely comfortable.
Very accurate
Very reliable
grip is superb - even when wet and slick, its shootable.
Light - very lightweight for a DA/SA gun - actually an ounce lighter than the P30.
VERY good shooting and comes back on target naturally.

Cons
Stippling non existent.
Not much for holster selection
Trigger - DA has a bit of stacking before break and overtravel is somewhat excessive (despite this I shoot it very well)
OTB sights are not the best and replacements are somewhat limited; this type of adjustable sight on a combat gun is not the best situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a fling with a P30sk. I was just sure I’d love it. I liked it but didn’t love it. I couldn’t shoot it with a damn. I could never figure out why. Guess it just wasn’t for me. At the time I had a ppq, it shoot for me better than any other gun I had. I just never felt totally safe carrying the ppq as it had an excellent trigger but I felt it was too light to carry.

I had always thought if only my ppq had a safety or was dasa, oh wait, enter the P99. It has been love since then.
Surfer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh, at first I thought my P99’s DA pull wasn’t that great but I felt it was a necessary evil to have my light SA pull. After about 4000 rounds; the DA pull is butter smooth.
Surfer

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to list the slide release: best one available again. Wish it was ambi. And no I don’t like the huge ppq ones.

on the DA: my old model is smoother, not as muchstacking so I do think the stacking thing smooths out Over time.
Even though the DA is a bit flawed I am able to shoot it very well.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Let me summarize:

SA and Reset is exceptional, and despite the curvature, the trigger itself is extremely comfortable.
Very accurate
Very reliable
Light - very lightweight for a DA/SA gun - actually an ounce lighter than the P30.

Cons
Stippling non existent.
Trigger - DA has a bit of stacking before break and overtravel is somewhat excessive (despite this I shoot it very well)
OTB sights are not the best and replacements are somewhat limited; this type of adjustable sight on a combat gun is not the best situation.
Good summination.

I flirted with the P30sks. The guns felt great in the hand. Build quality was excellent. But I struggled with the guns mediocre at best DA/SA trigger.

The P99 series on the other hand, despite being an older design, are just natural shooters for me. It is much easier for me to shoot the guns well.

Walther did a way better job than HK when implementing a DA/SA style trigger system.

I use the P99 AS's trigger like a traditional DA/SA system and it works very well like that.

I think HK took ergonomics to another level with the P30 but Walther wins the day for me with it's shootability.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - the P99 just plain shoots. I love my P30 ergos but like my P99 also. I just keep coming back to the P99.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Let me summarize:

Very accurate
Very reliable

Cons
Stippling non existent.
As far a holsters go, I have a Vetters IWB for my Glock19, and my p99 fits it like a glove.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts