Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently browsing gun broker and saw a couple of pistols that the owner had modified their short stubby magazine release on a SW99 (IN 45!) to the revised 'extended' magazine release found on the later versions of the P99 and PPQ.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861338203
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861338112

I was very interested in doing this to my own pistol.

My SW99 45ACP and SW99 9mm appear to use the same size magazine release despite the frames being obviously different sizes. I'm assuming that means that the magazine lever on the SW9945 is going to be a compatible fit with PPQ/P99 9mm magazine release with just a minor adjustment.

Correct me if I'm wrong or overlooking something but this project seems like it should be as simple as clearing away another half inch or so of material on the sides of the trigger guard so the longer lever has clearance and then installing a PPQ M1 magazine release?

Has anyone done this type of modification to their own pistol? Any tips or hints?

My plan was to just take a dremel and file to the trigger guard and finish smoothing with some sand paper.

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
I've done quite a few SW99 45's as well as some P99's and Magnum Research MR 9's.

Here's an MR9.

I've got some good photos of how I used masking tape to run down the center of the trigger guard to provide a reference line. Then just grind away the plastic down to tape.

I'll look for the pictures tomorrow. Oh, and I don't have a dremel....I use a 1/4" pneumatic die grinder with a 1/4" cutter.

Here's a few more pictures.

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
Here's my 'tool' and how I used masking tape as my guide. I made a block to insert inside the trigger guard to hold the trigger all the way to the rear.....keeping it out of the way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting those pics! Exactly what I needed.

Any good videos showing how to disassemble the frame/mag release? Is it as simple as putting a punch through the roll pin?

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
Yes, its that simple. Punch the pin out and the paddle will come out thru the magwell. Check to make sure the spring stays in place.

The paddle goes back in the same way....thru the mag well, line up the holes and tap the pin in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts