Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a very nice Model 9 from my father in law. It's the model with blue and brass medallions on the grip -- CW on one side, 6.35 on the other. I wanted to thoroughly clean this piece and watched a video on how to do it. But the video was for the later model with an outside-accessible screw instead of the medallions. BIG DIFFERENCE! You need a special tool to remove the medallion-style hand grips. But, long story short, I've been advised to just leave the hand grips on and forget about taking it down to the trigger. I have cleaned everything down to that. I want to fire this gun, see if the striker spring is strong enough to fire dependably, whether I can hit anything with it at ten feet:) etc. Any wisdom about not breaking it down and cleaning further than taking the slide off and accessing the spring and the striker spring and the little parts you can reach from there? The advice I got seemed sound, based on not damaging the grips or trigger mechanism on this very old, very small gun. (Yeah, it was WAY too hard to unlatch the slide and then relatch it, but I didn't hurt it.) Really just interested in any comments before I take it to the firing range. I'm not interested in the gun as a carry, just want to see what it does, and then either sell or just pass it along to my son or daughter later.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Woolsey Dip,

Congratulations on your new Walther Model 9!
I have a simple set of tools available to remove and reinstall your Model 9 type I girps. If you pay the shipping I will send you the tools along with instructions. When you are done you can ship the tools back to me. With the tools the process is pretty straightforward. Without these tools removal of these early Walther Model 9 grip disk is very difficult and risks damaging the pistol.

If you plan to fire the Model 9 regularly than I recomend installing a new striker (firing pin) and recoil spring (available from Wolffgunsprings). Do not dry fire the pistol excessively because it can cause the firing pin to break.

I would appreciate it if you would share some information about your Model 9 for my data base. It would be great if you would post some pictures on this forum for the other members to enjoy.

If you have quesitons about the tool deal you can email me at
[email protected]

Here is a link to an old post on another site describing the tools:
Early Walther Model 9 Grip Removal Tools

Earl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely, Earl, I'd be happy to share information about my Model 9. What would you like to know? Serial number is 5122XX and I'll give you the other two digits if you really need them. (Have been advised it's not especially good to publish whole serial numbers.) I'll answer to the very best of my ability. I'm old school regarding cell phone photography, and my camera has dead batteries, but I will replenish those and take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Though it has some discernible wear, I think it's a very well preserved example. My father in law took it off a German officer he was guarding at the end of the war, along with a CZ Modell 27, also a very fine piece that looks like it might never have been fired. Definitely keeping that one. Would be nice to find some ammo for it, though :). Anyway, pictures of the Mod. 9 tomorrow, please stand by.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Guys like Earl make this the best forum around. :)

Where else are you going to find someone who agree to ship his specialized tools out to help a fellow Walther enthusiast?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have the pictures on my computer. Now to figure out how to make them appear here. First try, failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not a computer expert. Asking me for a URL is kind of like asking me what druki I whipped the fordunid up to. The pictures are filed on my computer. I can easily go to them, but there is no URL that I know of. http://, to me, means a web address (or URL). But I'm not a web address. I'm just me, my computer, that has some picture files on it. I do apologize for my ignorance. Usually posting pictures involves clicking this and that, and it's done. I'm lost here. Assistance graciously requested and appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts