Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was hoping for insight on a Mod HP pistol that has been in my family a long time. While faded, you can see mod HP on one side, and it has matching serial numbers of 9167.

The pistol looks to be in good shape, but obviously an older pistol that has been used well over the years.

While unlikely I would ever part with it, I am curious on value to see if it is worth insuring.

If different / more pictures help please let me know

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, there were some 17000 Model HP's produced in the late war period though few were accepted into the military as they would have been taking the P38. On the LHS there should be 2 (German) proof marks while on the RHS the markings should include the Walther banner, the makers details (Waffenfabrik Walther etc) and to the right Mod HP. The serial No's indicate a late model manufacture and this example may well have been refinished due to the lack of clear markings. Grips seem about right. Are there any markings on the magazines? There should be none... As for value it's all about the condition, providence and visible markings. Here (UK) I have turned down a HP as it had incorrect grips & magazines - that and the dealer just wanted too much!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pictures of the slide are not sharp. Looks refinished to me, no red dot under the safety. I wish someone who better knows the HP would comment.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's a mid-war HP that has been grossly polished and reblued, losing most of its slide legend in the process. It's fairly typical of surplus P38s (which included some HPs) supplied by the Allies to Austria after WWII, though this one does not bear any obvious BH property marks. Bottom line: nothing special to insure.

M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts