Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a PPq and was excited to get it on range.
Loaded both magazines with independent 9 mill ammo and started shooting. 1st clip fine. 2nd clip misfire half way down stack. Didn't think much of it. Fire rate was slow taking time to get feel of gun. 5 rounds later same issue. Did not see striker hits on either round. Reloaded those 2 round and both fired. Weird.
Changed ammo to Remington. Different shooter. Different clip had misfire same issue. Cleared round. Swapped user again. Same issue again. No fire, but when trigger pulled again it fired with no rack. Very big safety issue. Could this have happened the other times and we just did not release trigger again??

Brand new gun less than 100 rounds through it

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
A tighter grip and maybe a tiny bit of lube on the rails.....
Welcome to the Forums BTW

Reactions: Sundevil827

·
Registered
23 Posts
J Cleared round. Swapped user again. Same issue again. No fire, but when trigger pulled again it fired with no rack. Very big safety issue.
The PPQ doesn't have a double strike capacity so you must have racked.

As to the problem, like above it sounds like it's not going into battery, have you done a good cleaning (even if it's new) and lubed up the rails?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Same issue again. No fire, but when trigger pulled again it fired with no rack. Very big safety issue. Could this have happened the other times and we just did not release trigger again??
Morning Wholbert

Are you SURE that you are releasing the trigger (enough) after the shot so you are getting trigger reset?

If you are getting a fire on 2nd trigger pull without racking slide that usually means that it didn't properly reset the trigger between shots.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a failure to return to battery in my opinion.

Try shooting with a tighter grip and see if it gets better.
I'm not an experienced shooter. Still trying to lock down my wrists, so to speak, but what does "return to battery" mean?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Still trying to lock down my wrists, so to speak, but what does "return to battery" mean?
Tighten up your elbows too.

Failure to Return to Battery, or FTRB, refers to a situation where the recoiling mass has not returned to its proper position after firing. When you experienced the failures with your pistol, I don't believe the slide and barrel returned to battery after you fired the previous round.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
I'm not an experienced shooter. Still trying to lock down my wrists, so to speak, but what does "return to battery" mean?
Great question Robert. Sometimes we throw around these terms and forget that folks might not be familiar with them.

In battery (an old artillery term) means the weapon is properly configured to fire...

"out of battery" in an auto loading pistol like the PPQ refers to a situation where the slide has not returned to its proper position after firing because of a failure in the recoil mechanism. This will prevent the weapon from firing.

Some causes are old or weak recoil spring assemblies, excess friction between the slide and frame or "limp wristing".

An auto loader's slide after firing must be pushed back far enough to strip off a round from the mag and then return fully forward to seat the round in the firing chamber. If the spring isn't strong enough or there is too much friction the slide might not fully return.

If your wrist absorbs a lot of the recoil because your grip isn't firm, there won't be enough force for your slide to return.

Sometimes the extractor claw can also cause this when it hangs up going over the lip of the shell but it is unlikely.

Out of battery could cause the striker not to fire (it never cocked) or it might fire but the striker may not touch the primer casing (or impact it hard enough to ignite it).

I hope this answers your question and thanks for keeping us on our toes. Always ask if you are unsure! This forum really is a flame free zone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts