Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun bought by my father in mid-50s I think. Recently came to me and excited about this iconic piece. Trying to get any additional details if able. I don't have the owner's manual or pamphlet that came with it.

I've attached photos ( I think) hoping that the Member's here can provide any details or facts, guidance to track additional details etc. I've looked at the "what have I got FAQ" thread but am evidently a bit feeble minded as I am struggling to gather details from that thread!?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Very nice looking PP you have there.

Note: It is NOT a PPK.

None the less it's a very good looking and worth owning pistol.

Reactions: F15E_WSO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice looking PP you have there.

Note: It is NOT a PPK.

None the less it's a very good looking and worth owning pistol.

And there you have it; the sort of data I didn't have. BlitzPig, how do you know it is not a PPK? Not questioning your statement, just would kindly like to know the telling indicators on the differences? I read elsewhere that the "K" was for short in German.

Thank you in advance for any details you can provide.

Doh--am I in the wrong thread? :eek:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Start by doing an image search for the Walther PPK vs the PP. You will see the cLear differences right away. In short, the PPK has a smaller grip and barrel and was designed for concealed carry.

Let me also add that that is a nice example of a PP manufactured in France by Manurhin.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Slide length is the real giveaway.

Also the PPK has a grip that wraps around the back of the frame, the PP's grip has the frame itself as the rear of the grip.

And as was mentioned the PP has a longer grip and magazine that holds one more round than the PPK, though be careful on your searches, because after 1968 The PPK/S came into being which had the PP frame with the shorter slide and barrel from a PPK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all above for the data. I'm on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any help with SN would be appreciated. I found the table for the German Manu pre-war but no guidance on French Manu SNs and possible dates of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
just would kindly like to know the telling indicators on the differences? I read elsewhere that the "K" was for short in German.
Your gun says right on the slide "MOD PP" and as BlitzPig mentioned the grips are different. The PP has a left and right grip panel with an exposed steel back strap. On a PPK the grips wrap around the back strap and the slide will read "MOD PPK".

You are correct about kurtz meaning short.

You've got a great looking Manurhin PP. It's a very desirable pistol.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Manurhin and Walther/Ulm PP share the same serial number range. My guess is 1954.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
IT SAYS MODEL PP ON THE SLIDE!!! That is how you know it is not a PPK. Geez! BTW, nice gun.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
This chart is fine, but just an estimate. It's impossible that Manurhin made ~9500 PP in 1952 (introduced in 11.52). That's why my guess is 1954.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Close enough and accurate enough for me. Thanks Martin! You did just fine. At least it's not a ballpark between the 50's and the 80's on one pistol. lol
And who's going to sell their fine gems anyway? Just wanting to know the decade for starters. Bragging rights. Print out the chart and put it with the other paperwork for the pistol.
My Manurhin shows a '57-58 mfg. Has an "X" out ByP stamp and a Heckler & Koch import to Alex, VA stamp when they imported in the 70's. Good enough for me.
Beautiful blue and like a fine Swiss watch. Smooth as glass!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't you just love the deep bluing of the ones that stayed in France for final completion.
I'm very lucky to have this drop in my hands after my father kept it squirreled away in a drawer for 50 years. As a kid never knew him to shoot it. Still cleaning and lubing it after a week. The CLP keeps bringing gunk to the surfaces. Will shoot it next weekend. I also recently got a Tissot Chronograph watch my Grandfather flew with in WWII, 1938 model watch. It's gorgeous.

My wife thinks I'm obsessed as I look at the two heirlooms side by side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IT SAYS MODEL PP ON THE SLIDE!!! That is how you know it is not a PPK. Geez! BTW, nice gun.
LOL, uhhh yeah I see that now <<hangs head in shame>> I'm quick, never said I was smart!! Callsign "MOTO".....Master of The Obvious would be a suitable name for me sometimes. Cheers :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a beauty.

THank you, had little to do with it short of ridiculous process of prying it from hands of local FFL who somehow still doesn't understand the process!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts