Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any manufacture make a metal guide rod for the P99? My original plastic one is holding up well, no problems, just wondering about the need for a replacement later. I’ve seen the Sprinco web site but I’m not really looking for a recoil reducer just a steel guide rod. By the way does the Sprinco product have any effect on a 9mm P99? Just wondering since the 9mm recoil is minimal to begin with.

Thanks for any info

Craig P

·
Registered
356 Posts
I ordered four spare P99 recoil assemblies from Smith & Wesson. Interestingly, two came as the original type with fluted polymer rod, but two had unfluted steel rods. I checked into this, and found out that the steel rods are newer, and it sounds like they may eventually replace the polymer ones. BTW, they costed less than $10 a pop. I am not sure if you can specify the steel one when ordering, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a question about the plastic guide rods. My P99 was purchased new and has about 200 rounds through it. When the guide rod is placed properly in the gun it bows slightly. Does it need to be replaced or is this normal?

domac86

·
Registered
411 Posts
The slight bow is normal when using the plastic guide rod.
I too now use the metal rod from S&W.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also got one unfluted steel guide rod from S&W in May, the attached packing list/invoice labelled the piece is Made in Germany. So far so good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called S&W this morning and inquired about the metal guide rod. They said they carry them. Ordered two at nine dollars and change. So far so good also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got off the phone with Walther. They said they only had one part # for the recoil assy, and didn't know if it was steel or not. I ordered it anyway, with the hope that it is the steel version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received the guide rod that I ordered from S&W. I ordered the metal one that they claimed they had but received the plastic guide rod assembly just like the original. If anyone finds the metal guide rod assemblies for a P99 please post. I'll have to call then back and see what happened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recieved my new recoil assy. today. The invoice said "Made In Germany", but it was the plastic one. I'm very dissapointed. Its probably not worth the hassle of returning it. I guess it won't hurt to have a spare. I wonder why they are shipping two different types?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone had trouble with the OEM plastic recoil spring assembly? Both of mine have been 100% trouble-free. IMHO, I think this is much to do about nothing. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I havn't had any trouble with mine. I just want a steel one, if they're making them. IMO steel would be better, it would be more "stout" than plastic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had a custom steel rod made for my P99 by a local gunsmith. At the time I didn't know one could order replacements from Walther. But the new rod holds up pretty well. I figured that the plastic seemed kinda too flexy for comfort. Murphy's Law says, just when you'd need it the most, thats when #### thing messes up big time! So it was of with the plastic and went with steel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts