Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the rear sigth on, but how do I get the screw threaded into the front sight (their isn't a lot of room for my fingers in the slide)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If its a small allen head screw you can use a tiny bit of white glue on the end of the wrench to help hold the screw on while you place it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tabor, if I understand you correctly, the issue is that you need a tool to install the front sight?  Click on the link below and then on "Installation Tools".  You need the Glock hex nut installation tool, the one for $15.  The Glock front night sight attaches the same way as the Walther P99.  Use just a bit of Blue Loctite thread locker on the screw threads to prevent it from loosening under recoil.  
Arizona Gun Runners

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this installation tool something more than a 3/16" socket? If so I will probably buy it. I actually got some loctite 609 (what meprolight recommends).

·
Registered
45 Posts
The installation tool is basically just a socket wrench.  The walls of the wrench are thinner and it fits in the space better to allow better tightening of the front sight nut.  It's possible that you might find something similar at a hardware store, but this tool is definitely perfect for the job.  Here's a photo of the tool from another website:  Sportsman's Guide

·
Registered
280 Posts
Buy a cheap socket. Grind the outside so it fits inside the slide. You can start it by first putting screw in slide and holding with finger. Now put sight on the outside of slide and turn it on screw. Put the socket on a spinner(handle screwdriver type for 1/4" sockets and tighten. Do not overtighten. I wiggle sight as I am tightening to know when it is snug. I suggest using lock tite! I had problems with screw bottoming out on sight and not the slide twice. If sight remains loose after tightening this is what is happening. Do not tighten more or you will break the head off the screw and be waiting on the nice folks at mep to send you a new one free of charge. Third time I filed the bottom of the sight that goes thru the slide down. Works great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
walrus,

Thanks, but I will probably just buy the sight installation tool. However, you did answer my big question: how to start the screw in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I JUST did this on Tuesday.  Here is what I did:

I put some blue Loctite (242) around the entire bottom of the sight where it goes into the slide, this is for extra support.  I put some Loctite on the screw, then I used tweezers to put the screw into the hole, these were flat women type tweezers, not the pointed type.  The tweezers worked very well to screw it down.  When the screw was as tight as I could get it with the tweezers, I used a pair of sharp pointed needle nose pliers to give it that last little bit of torque.

The entire process including clean up of the Loctite was about 3 minutes.  Not a scratch or mark on the slide or sight, it worked out very well.  

The rear sight was a pain in the ass since it needed to be filed, but that was still pretty easy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, you did answer my big question: how to start the screw in.
He mentioned the method of putting the screw in first so it's sticking out the top of the slide, then you can easily put the sight on the screw.  I never thought of doing that when I was installing mine, it was just too easy to use tweezers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What I did was buy a cheap socket head, I already had a long adaptor for the wrench.
Apply blue loc-tite.
Hold slide upside down, use finger to hold screw in place in slide
Tighten frontsight onto the screw until snug.
Flip over slide, hold front sight in place and use socket to tighten screw all the way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed that several people have commented to use blue loctite, but Meprolight says loctite 609 (which comes in a red bottle). So, why should I use one over the other?

PS- It is my understanding that their is more than one formulation of loctite that comes in a red bottle, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It has different holding strengths. Considering the size of the screw I would recommend low strength. I do not pay attention to color but only read the type on the bottle's label.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts