Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glock 26, and am thinking of switching to a P99c A/S. Finding a Wather version, especially an A/S, seems to be tough right now.

But, I can probably find a Smith and Wesson 99 compact. I'm used to never having to worry about this finish on the Glock 26 that I carry - even in the summer, it is about zero maintenance.

Is the melonite finish on the Smith just as durable?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as corrosion resistance, yes...the S&W P99 is as good as the P99. However, it looks no where near as good as a nice P99 finish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try buds gun shop they may have the P99 you want.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Gun Source also has the P99c a/s in stock for 570.00

·
Registered
47 Posts
From what I have read, Melonite and Tenifer are metal treatments which makes the surface of the metal very hard 68 HRc. Basically it means you need something as hard as a diamond to easily scratch the metal.

But there is a black finish over the metal treatment. That finish can be scratched away over time with regular use, leaving shinny but very hard and protected metal left. From the carry weapons of my friends which I have seen, it appears that the finish on a Glock is more durable but the metal underneath is protected equally well on both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts