Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I hate to say it but the S&W's look like bad Chinese Knock-offs of the real thing.

For such a great firm to produce a firearm with so many odvious shortcuts demonstrates to me a lack of committment on behalf of Smith & Wesson.

With all their Gunmaking skill, S&W should be able to better the previous Interarms product, but they can't even equal it.

If the S&W Walthers work it is more a tribute to the design, than the shabby treatment S&W has given one of the greatest designs in firearms history.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I love the old S&W revolvers but, ever since they caved in to President Bubba and started putting locks on their revolvers, their quality seems to have gown down the drain and I wouldn't buy any of their products. Although I have to admit that I did buy an early S&W manufactured PPK and it was a piece of garbage. I dumped it at a gun show and never looked back.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have a rule, don't buy any handgun that isn't at least 30 years old!

I have only broken that rule once in the past 10 years .... for a Walther P99.

I plan to break the rule again for a Walther PPS.

Wouldn't touch a S&W with one of those idiot locks!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
....the old ones sure do look better.
I had a chance to buy one of those 15 years ago for $450 NIB and I have been kicking myself in the A$$ ever since for buying a stainless one instead. I would love to have a blued Interarms PPK!

S&W needs to loose the funky grip tang and lettering, what are they SMOKING?!?!? :eek: Sorry, just had to get that out.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would love to have a blued Interarms PPK!
I've had a hard time putting mine down since I picked one up yesterday.

Q

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I plan to break the rule again for a Walther PPS.
Might want to wait some more. More reports are coming in of problems with the PPS. Check that thread in the PPS section. More problems with spring breakage. I'll pass on that gun.

As to the S&W PPK...yep...I own one. I agree that the lettering really looks like shit. But I didn't buy it as a safe queen or to take out to visitors to show it's "inherent beauty". I LIKE the tang grip a lot. I have NO problems with the gun "biting" me like so many others have with the old style PPK. I popped 50 rounds through it without a glitch. The grips on it are also shit. Mine cracked in 3 places after just one time at the range and started melting after using Hoppe's #9 to clean it. No excuse for that except for cheap materials. I have already ordered Eagle grips for it, so that problem is resolved.
In this day and age gun makers all over the world are chintzing up on their guns. Colt has been installing plastic triggers and mainspring housing for quite a while. Many parts are cast and not forged. Heck, many GUNS are cast and not forged (Ruger, for one). That doesn't make them bad, just less expensive to make. Of course, the cost savings is NEVER passed on to the consumer ;) Think about it...for the workmanship and quality level of the Interarms guns, how much do you think it would cost? I'm sure the cost factor was one of the reasons Walther chose S&W to make their pistols here. Yeah...if you want a "thing of beauty" to be eyeballed and admired, the Interarms guns are definitely the way to go. But S&W PPK guns to me are "shooters" and not safe queens. I'm just happy as hell that S&W agreed to MAKE the PPK. I am not crazy about buying used guns of any kind. Been burned too often for that. I got a new gun with a warranty that shoots reliably. That fits my requirements

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
489 Posts
Shucks. The S&Ws can't be THAT bad. Have 650 rounds thru mine in a short time and it sits reliably in my CCW shoulder holster. So its getting job number 1 done OK.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I am sorry if I seemed to be derisive about your S&W PPK's.

I really don't like to say bad things about other folks firearms, and should not have broken my own rule, about doing that. I am glad that those of you with new PPK's find them working fine and hope they remain so.

Consider me cranky about minor cosmetic issues!!!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
153: No sweat. For those of us that have the S&W PPK, we are happy with them. To each his own :) Dep
+1 to Dep's comment. For what it's worth, I took my S&W PPK/S stainless out to the range for the first time today and put 100 rounds of FMJ through it. It operated without a hitch or hiccup; it was spot-on at 10 yards, very good at 15, and not-too-shabby at 25 (likely better than my eye). Best of all, it was a pleasure to shoot: easy on the hand that feeds it, in fact. I don't disagree with those who maintain that the original German-made Walther is the better-looking of the two; in fact, it is -- by far. And even the Interarms model looks much better in the part. But the S&W version is a nice firearm that functions beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to somebody who is looking for a quality carry piece.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
S&W needs to loose the funky grip tang and lettering, what are they SMOKING?!?!? :eek: Sorry, just had to get that out.

I also apologize if I offended anyone. I am sure some folks like the looks of s&w ppks just fine, I am only judging from the perspective of a german ppk. But I guess if they werer still making them and they were allowed to be imported the price tag would be well over 1000 bucks, so s&w has that beat.

Hey, that's the first time I ever quoted my self.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts