Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my brand new P99 QA on Monday night and have a question for other Walther owners. Did any of your guns come from the factory with marker writings on them? Both sides of the pistol trigger have the number 4 written in black marker on them. I think it is a little odd, but have no idea what the deal is. Thanks - Skister

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't have any markings on either side of my trigger but I have a DA/SA 9mm. I doubt your dealer would write on his firearms. Perhaps its something that Walther did in their parts bin to distinguish QA triggers from DA/SA triggers? Or maybe the 4 has something to do with .40 cal. Just guesses

If its written with sharpie marker or something like that, some solvent or gun cleaner and a bit of rubbing should take it right off. The polymer parts are kind of slick and non porous so I would think that marker would have a hard time sticking to it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's interesting ....
- Dinstinguishing it is a .40 cal model?
- Indicating a No 4 front sight installed?

Just curious, what rear sight you got? 2-dot or U-outline?

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (skister @ Mar. 17 2004,1:58)]Did any of your guns come from the factory with marker writings on them?  Both sides of the pistol trigger have the number 4 written in black marker on them.  I think it is a little odd, but have no idea what the deal is.  
I agree, it's odd. I have a QA manufactured in '01 and there is no marker writing on the trigger. The trigger is black so I'm surprised anyone would try writing anything on it, especially in black marker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trigger is black, but not a deep black. With it being a molded plastic piece, it has a dark gray look to it. Anyway, there is a small number 4 written on both sides. I should try to take pictures to post up. I called the sporting goods store and the gun manager said this happens quite frequently with rifles and is usually to mark the tested pounds of force used to pull the trigger? Who knows, I just thought it was really wierd.

I had the 2 dot back sight on when I ordered it and had the dealer put on the nightsights before I picked it up.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Skister,

Maybe your gun shop is correct. It may be a 4 lb trigger and they marked it so that it could be reworked. The QA's are supposed to have a 8 to 9 lb trigger pull. So a 4 lb could really bring the lawyers out! You should try and find a trigger scale and see what the trigger pull weight is.

By the way, I've never seen this on any of my P99's or any that I've ever seen.

Devin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know who I could contact from the company to ask myself? I have sent an e-mail, but have had very poor response from questions to Walther in the past. I would like to know what it is really for. Thanks - Skister

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the rep. was very unhelpful and cranky. That always seems to be my luck. He made it sound as though I put it on the gun. I just want to know what the heck it is. I figured that on a brand new gun, there would be no markings like that. It just makes me wonder a little. - Skister

·
Registered
8 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Mar. 18 2004,9:14)]Skister,

Maybe your gun shop is correct.  It may be a 4 lb trigger and they marked it so that it could be reworked.  The QA's are supposed to have a 8 to 9 lb trigger pull.  So a 4 lb could really bring the lawyers out!  You should try and find a trigger scale and see what the trigger pull weight is.

By the way, I've never seen this on any of my P99's or any that I've ever seen.

Devin
That's incorrect.

The previous DA-only P99s had the higher pound force that you mention. The QA was re-designed for a much ligher LE-friendly pull, in the range of 5 - 6.5 pounds.

FYI

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I take pictures to show you guys what I mean, how do I post them up? Can I just attach the file from my desktop? Just wondering, since I am not sure how that works. I have a digital camera from work for the weekend, so I should be able to get some pictures out to you guys. Thanks - Skister

·
Registered
263 Posts
You need to find a place to have your pictures hosted. Depending on who your internet provider is, it is likely you have a place already.

Hopefully your service provider has a page where you can upload your files to their servers. If not, you will have to use an FTP program.

Once you get them up onto a server, you can access them like any webpage. Just copy and paste the link between the image tags that you can place with the Image button when you write a post.

Or...if you like someone else can host them for you. I have plenty of space available on my account (Virginia Tech), so I can host a few pics. PM me if you want to do this and I'll give you an email address to send them to and I'll do the rest.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey everybody,
  The pictures below are of Skister's P99, not mine.  I am hosting these pics for Skister.  The marking is the 4 on the sides of the trigger itself.

Skister,
I took the liberty of editing out the serial number on your P99. Otherwise, the pics are untouched.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, now people help me out here. What is this? I am scared to take it to the range to shoot it, just in case I should send it back to figure out what it is from. Or, should I just take some cleaner and get it off? I just have no idea why it would be marked. Both Walther and Scheels (who I ordered the gun from) claim to know nothing about it. Thanks for the help - Skister

Thanks for posting the pics Ni3Frontier.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would say that unless it really really bothers you, take it to the range and shoot it. If there's something wrong with the way it functions you can then send it back to Walther. Whether there is a mark on the trigger or not, your warranty still applies.

The other thing you could do is call Walther USA and see if they will send you a new trigger free of charge or replace it themselves if you send it in. I don't know how hard it would be to replace yourself though - it might be something for a gunsmith to do.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Skister,

I would shoot it. I don't see anything to be worried about.

Have you tried posting this on Walther Germany's web site forum to see what its all about? There's a guy there named Dieter Marshall who knows a lot about Walther's. I think he has access to the factory also, so he might be able to shed some light on this.

Devin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. Since you see no reason not to shoot it, I am excited to take it out tonight. I just thought it was wierd and wanted to make sure. What is the Walther Germany Forum website? I will try to post there to see if there are any ideas. Thanks for the help. I think it is a great looking and feeling gun. My husband can't wait to shoot it too. He really isn't into handguns like me, but thought it felt so great when I let him hold it.
We might be ordering him one next.
- Skister

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link P88. Yup, guns and cars. Those are a couple of my main interests. My husband just laughs most of the time. What can I say, I am the son my father never had. I actually grew up hunting quite a bit with my father, so the gun thing just came naturally. My husband is a hunter too, so we enjoy that together. He just has never got into the handgun scene. I am looking forward to changing that in the near future.
- Skister

·
Registered
263 Posts
How completely cool is that!  I wish my g/f would ask me to take her to a shop and help her find a handgun  

I did get her to agree to try rifle shooting at the range though wo we'll be going in 2 weeks.  She wants to try out my .22 bolt action.  She likes rifle shooting (she did it a few times as a kid) but I think she is a little scared of it.  I'll take small steps, and maybe she'll be tacking clay pidgeons at 100yds with my .308 someday  

Skister, if you want to display these images in another forum you can do it easily. If you're on a PC using Internet Explorer or similar browser, you can right click on the image and click on 'Properties'. One of the things that shows up will be an internet address where that picture is located. Just copy and paste that into your post and it will create a link to the images.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts