Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a used Manurhin PPK/S in .380. Owned a Ft Smith PPK once but always got FTF even after a trip to the factory. Best I could do was 1-2 FTF by the end of the first box of 50.

This Manurhin seems to be doing the same. I have a OEM Manurhin mag for it and then two used (but seemingly very good condition) Mec-Gar mags for it. After getting some FTF I removed the loaded chamber indicator and replaced the recoil spring with a 20lb standard Wolff spring (which actually seemed lighter than the recoil spring that was in it, but that's another story).

On my next range trip I kept getting FTF until...I noticed it only happened with the Mec-Gar mags. I decided to finish the 25 box round of Rem 380 with the OEM mag...100%. So them I try Winchester flat nose 380...50 rounds without a hitch.

So what's the deal? Mec gar's are regarded as great but these...meh. But they are used, but so is the OEM and it worked great. Should I track down other OEM Manurhin mags (very expensive) or try NEW Mec gar mags not used ones? With ammo prices I want to try and keep down the extraneous blasting just to see if a mag works. Thoughts?

Also pic of the FTF with mec gar:

Camera accessory Camera lens Audio equipment Gas Electronic device

·
Registered
418 Posts
My experience with .32 Mec-Gar mags in my Walther PP, is that while they'll take 8 rounds they are difficult to lock in place when fully loaded with 8 rounds. In fact, when fully loaded, they can appear to be locked in place when they are not. So, this is a long way of saying, "make sure your mags are fully locked."

PS: Consequently, I just load 7 rounds in my .32 Mec-Gar PP mags. My PP is a Manurhin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My new Mec Gar 7 round 380 acp mags were also giving me fits. I’ve sometimes had similar problems with other new mags. So I loaded them full and let them sit a week or two. That seemed to settle in the springs and they feed fine now, even ran 10 JHPs the other day into a ‘73 PPK/S with no issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts