Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Picked up a Manurhin 7.65 PPK yesterday. Serial number 1176**. Interarms va is lightly stamped on the right side of the slide. Serial number is lightly electro penciled on the inside of the slide. Overall in about 95% condition. It has two piece walther black grips on it with “made in Germany” along the lower edge . It came with one matching finger rest mag.

Should the pistol have two piece Manurhin grips or one piece?
Did manurhin pistols ever leave the factory with Walther grips?

Any help appreciated. Pictures added below

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kind of what I figured but I didn’t want to buy a One piece Manurhin grip only to find out from the experts that the early Manurhin Ppk had Walther two piece grips, lol

At $650 I thought it was a good buy. Carl’s had the Manurhin grip for $125.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kind of what I figured but I didn’t want to buy a One piece Manurhin grip only to find out from the experts that the early Manurhin Ppk had Walther two piece grips, lol

At $650 I thought it was a good buy. Carl’s had the Manurhin grip for $125.
really? I had no idea they Manurhin guns went for that much. I have a regular West German made PP 7.65mm. I wonder what that would go for.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Based on the stamp next to the serial number, it looks like it was a service pistol. As such, whatever grips were used with it make it "original" in it's service use if you just want to keep them on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Watcher, never thought of that angle.

As for price? I was happy. Not sure what current prices are for early post war PPK pistols. Let me know if I overpaid.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's your money, spend it however you wish.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Based on the stamp next to the serial number, it looks like it was a service pistol. As such, whatever grips were used with it make it "original" in it's service use if you just want to keep them on.
It's impossible to say when or by whom the grips were replaced, but clearly they are not the original grips.

It's obviously an ex-German police gun; small lots of these were imported post-1968, limited for sale to law enforcement but later percolated out into the secondary used-gun market.

If I were going to replace the grips, I would not spend money on an inflated set of Manurhin grips; I'd go for the pear-shaped Nill grips, and have something delightful to hold and shoot.

M

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
The black PPK grips marked "Made in Germany" were introduced by Walther around 1980. So it is highly probable that those grips on this former service pistol were replaced in the US sometimes after its service use.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The black PPK grips marked "Made in Germany" were introduced by Walther around 1980. So it is highly probable that those grips on this former service pistol were replaced in the US sometimes after its service use.

Yeah I know I was stretching that one. If it was still used in some official capacity in the states then my statement would be true. Unless the OP knows who all of the previous owners are, there's no way to confirm that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately no history on it. Just a gunshop find.

Thanks for all the information. I didn’t realize some were imported after 1968.

I also have a prewar PP with capture papers that I bought from the veteran’s estate. The collection included his original military ID card and ribbons, etc. I also have 1974 PPK/s .380. The PPK just fit the gap I guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is the proper one piece grip for your Manuhrin on gunbroker right now for 90.00. As far as quality of Manuhrin guns Manuhrin and Walther post war we’re pretty much one in the same I believe.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
really? I had no idea they Manurhin guns went for that much. I have a regular West German made PP 7.65mm. I wonder what that would go for.
Manurhin PPK routinely sell for well over $1,000, sometimes much more. I don’t know production numbers, but based on prices I suspect they are much less common than Walther PPKs. PP and PPK/S, not so much. In general, Manurhin will sell for around a 10-15% discount to an equivalent Walther-marked pistol. They are fine pistols, every bit the quality of Walther.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts