Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my hands on a Walther P5 and am curious as to my pistol's manufacture date. Does anyone have a list that I can reference in order to determine my P5's age based on its serial number?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
this applies to your P5 also

look on the right side of the fram.... in front of the triggerguard.....

refference the 2 leters on your P5 to the table in the link and you will know when it was made

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
OH and btw

Welcome to the boards.... good to see new people here....
tell us where you got the P5... what else you got.. is it your first Walther

browsw here loots of info..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the information.

Yes, this is my first Walther. My other pistol is a SIG 239 in .40, but I've wanted a P5 since I was in school (about six years ago).

Part of the reason it took me so long to get my hands on a P5 is that I wanted it to be as close to NIB as possible. The hunt was driving me crazy, then came across this forum and saw the post referring to NIB P5s at CheckpointCharlies.com.

I got the pistol yesterday, put three hundred rounds through it today, and plan to put a few hundred more out tomorrow. There were a couple failures-to-feed initially, but that's probably because, in my excitement to break it in, I had forgotten to lubricate it. It was bone-dry and appeared to have been in storage for quite some time.

Needless to say, I love it. I shot three hundred rounds through my SIG and three hundred through my Walther, just for comparison. On the drive home, the thought briefly crossed my mind that I could very well sell my SIG and be happy enough with just the P5. I really like my SIG and it's a great pistol, but the P5 has so much more... "character".

I've got Nill grips and a leather, vertical-draw shoulder holster en route. I think the only thing harder than trying to find a reasonably-priced NIB P5 was trying to find a holster for it.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.

Thanks again for the information (My P5 was manufactured in 1986, by the way.).

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
HEHEHEH
Jyjimenez.... I had posted about the P5's at checkpoint charlies.... but also had spotted a LNIB on gunbroker at the same time... and given that the one on gunbroker was newer and came from a private estate I picked that one... though I had spoken to the guy at Checkpoint charlies and he seamed very nice.. and they had a decent price for LNIB
He had told me that somebody sold him both at the same time stating that they had not been shot....
Anyhow I am glad it worked out well for you.....
Tell me though how the final deal went over... how much you payd and how the guy was to deal with when it came to finish the deal...I still have checkpoint charlies bookmarked due to the rare inventory this guy has

To your Nill's...I had heared from numerous people now that they had to custom fit the Grips to the P5.....which seams to be the case with mine too... I am a lil upset about that... for the price that should not be the case.. but let me know

Also there is a "shirttucker holster" out of Kydex for the P5 for $65..... though their waiting period is currently 6 or 7 weeks
blade tech
I didn't look if any of the other holsters they sell is available for the P5..... I heard nothing but good things from them so far and have ordered one for my P99 .. which I am still waiting on too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I didn't notice until after I'd posted my last message that you were the one that posted the message about Charlies.

I actually had my local gun store do most of the leg work in dealing with Charlies, so I don't know how they are to deal with personally.

I think they were charging $695 for the pistol, $15 for shipping, and a 3% "credit card" fee. Then whatever fees I had to pay to my dealer for receiving the package.

The pistol certainly doesn't look like it's been shot. No wear anywhere. Like I said earlier, it was completely dry when I got it and looked like it'd been in storage forever.

I still have a little while to wait before I can see if I'm disappointed in the grips. I hope not too much is needed to make them work, though--my junior high school woodworking skills are a bit rusty.

I actually ended up ordering a holster from the UK. I had very specific criteria the thing had to meet (i.e. shoulder rig, leather, vertical draw). Fortunately, my genetics make it so that I can eat all I want and never gain a pound. Unfortunately, I don't think I've gained a pound since elementary school. It therefore had to be vertical draw because the pistol would almost be wider than I am if hung horizontally. I wanted a shoulder holster because I don't like things on my belt. I also wanted it to be specifically for the P5 and in leather... just because. The only holster that fit all those criteria was at Drop Zone. One of these days, I'll figure out what the conversion rate between pounds sterling and the dollar is, just to see how much I paid for the d-mned thing.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/SAS-walther-P5-concealed-carry-holster-NEW_W0QQitemZ6613914955QQcategoryZ36077QQssPageName
ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">from the UK ......</a>

I guess it would be about x1.75 according to this... not too bad I would say....
this one looks though as it is a lefthanded one... or I would bid on it
looks like a good deal you made there

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
lmao
you are not alone belive me
I am looking at a PP in .22lr..... yea and it was less than 48 hours too...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congratulations!!! I have a P-5C for several years, excellent handgun, one of the finest handguns ever made, imho. I can see you have good taste in handguns, as the Sig 239 is also an excellent handgun.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
congrats on your winning bid..... $52 isn't bad... hope you get the other 2 mags for the same price

1 - 11 of 11 Posts