Walther Forums banner

Manufacture Date of Walther PP 380

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Martin 
#1 ·
I am trying to find the manufacture date of my Walther PP 380. I emailed Walther.com and they told me they had no way of finding the manufacture date. I've owned it since 1984 but have just recently become interested in it's history. Any help would be appreciated. The markings on the gun are as follows:

Left side of slide: Manufacture De Machines Du Haut-Rhin. To the right of that is the Manurhin emblem. To the right of that: Lic. Excl Walther Mod. PP Cal 9 mm.
On the left side of frame: LP By, both are XXX'd out. On the left side of trigger guard visible when pulled down for disassembly is stamped 67 in a circle.

On the right side of the handle frame near the trigger is the serial # 12135 with a small crown stamped below that and on the right side of the slide is stamped 135 with another small crown near the end of the slide. The hand grips are black plastic with the Walther banner at the top of each.

I'm guessing the gun was manufactured in France but that's all I know. Thanks.

#2 ·
It's an ex-German police pistol and a mongrel with replacement grips and maybe a replacement slide as well.

It was originally manufactured sometime between 1953 and (obviously) 1984. The only way to get a closer fix on it is with some clear and detailed pictures.

But what difference can it make? You've owned it for 36 years without worrying about it. Why start now?

M

#4 ·
A German police surplus (Landespolizei Bayern), probably originally made in 1953. Slide was changed! LP By never used PP chambered in .380 instead of .32! If the caliber is correct, the barrel and a few small parts should changed, too. Magazine should be reworked to hold 9mm kurz.

In Germany we would call it a Bastard ;)

#7 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. And MGMike, I didn't say I was worried about it. I said I was interested. But again, thanks for the feedback. At least I have some idea of it's origin. As far as the photos, here they are.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thank you for posting photos. It's always educational.

The milled-out spot on the slide where a "9" was substituted is clear evidence of its conversion from .32. That only the last three digits of the serial number were stamped in the slide suggests (but does not prove) that the slide is a replacement, not the original one. The grips are obvious replacements, as the originals had the Manurhin logo and markings.

What appears to be a proof mark on right-hand front of the slide in your third and fourth photos is intriguing. It (and the blank shield on the frame behind the trigger) are unfamiliar to me.

Can anyone here identify them?

M

#9 ·
As it's obvisually a Walther (afaIk LP By havn't used Manurhin marked guns), grips are correct. SN on the slide seems to be remarked.

Proofmarks on slide and frame COULD be Kiel proofhouse, perhaps these guns were reworked by J.P. Sauer & Sohn.

#10 ·
I am new to this forum and I have had my Walther PP since 1993. I am trying to find out some more info about the weapon. It has a symbol with 6 diagonal lines coming from that symbol what appears to be a V then 1B with what appears to be an airplane just left of a crown marking on the frame above the trigger. The serial number is matching 69875A. I would appreciate any help from the experts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.