Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going around and seeing the guide rods available for the P99/PPQ, I decided to make my own. It hasn't been machined yet, but it's designed and ready to go.
My reason for posting was this:
First, I'm excited and wanted to show it off :D...
Second, does anyone think I should do it in stainless (and polish it) or black oxide coat it or aluminum?
I'm worried about it being squeaky. I kept the design fluted like the OEM one more for looks than for function.
And third, where the crap can I get a new spring that isn't $30 or more? Glock springs are so cheap. Are there any of them that are the same specifications? I'd reuse mine, but I'd rather not hack apart my guide rod and it has a high round count on it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Magnum Research used to sell the RSA for around $4 each more than a year ago. I'm not sure if they sell parts to Walther customers anymore though.

As for the guide rod, I'm interested to see it, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with a two piece guide rod that had one part that screwed into the other. I'd constantly be checking to see if both parts had come loose.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense. The Sta-Tite ones are threaded as well. I'd be using loc-tite anyway just for security. Shouldn't really come un-threaded anyway if the slide is on. Spring tension should take care of most of it. I think I feel more comfortable using that than my currently twisted and bent poly one.
It wouldn't be hard at all to switch my design to incorporate some sort of clevis pin. Could also have the threaded post come past the end cap and pit a pin there instead.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I'm curious as to why you are attempting to build the better mousetrap here. The stock device works fine for most everyone, including Walther's engineers, and a couple of aftermarket products already exist that have their fans and serve the needs of those who think that a stouter product is needed. I'm not knocking the effort or enterprise, mind you ... just curious.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
"...does anyone think I should do it in stainless (and polish it) or black oxide coat it or aluminum?"

Polished stainless is my vote, although I prefer shiny firearm thingys :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious as to why you are attempting to build the better mousetrap here. The stock device works fine for most everyone, including Walther's engineers, and a couple of aftermarket products already exist that have their fans and serve the needs of those who think that a stouter product is needed. I'm not knocking the effort or enterprise, mind you ... just curious.
I understand why it doesn't make sense. I want to because I can. I like to make things and having a component on your pistol that you made would bring a sense of pride... or you can blame yourself when it doesn't work.
I would buy a plastic replacement from Walther if it didn't cost more than making one myself.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Very nice looking design. I don't understand how Walther gets away with their high price of a simple recoil spring. I just bought my first SIG a new P227 .45,ordered new recoil springs as is my long time habit, SIG sells three wire wound springs in a box for $19.95. Thats around $6.60 each:) I don't know of anyone who charges so much for a simple recoil spring as Walther does. About eight years ago I bought a Springfield 4" XD-45 ordered a new captive recoil spring guide rod Assy. $14.00. I really like my P99&PPQs but i don't like the Walther parts pricing.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
I picked up a SW99 45, called Smith & Wesson to purchase a new guide rod assembly and some magazine springs, and they sent them to me for FREE....no charge....no nutin'. Now, THAT's hard to beat. Upon receipt, I sent the guide rod off to Steve Bedair for him to replace the plastic guide rod with one of his custom built stainless steel rods (using my spring). In fact, I've had Steve build two of these for me. Steve Bedair Stainless Guide Rods for Handguns Why two, cuz I've got two SW99 45's.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Thumbs up on IAOF's endorsement of the Steve Bedair stainless guide rod for the SW99 .45. I'm very pleased with it. For the P99c AS I went with a BT guide rod.

Back to the question of coatings — I got the BT in matte black to match the slide of the P99c, and the Bedair in stainless to go with the stainless slide of my SW99. Either way, whether you match the slide or should you want a contrasting look, that would be up to your personal preference. You could always try the look un coated, and if you don't like it then try to match the slide coating later.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm gonna make it sometime within the next week if I have time. I'll start shiny. Put a hundred or so rounds down the pipe and check it for bends or whatever. I can't coat it where I work, so if I don't like shiny and want to match my QA, maybe someone can OD green coat it for me. That would be pretty cool. If not, I'd still have to find someone around me that does black oxide coating.
After that I'll post pics of my success or failure.
I'm gonna call S&W and Umarex and hunt down a spring.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Umarex and S&W were a bust, and Walther won't have any in stock for 3-5 weeks. They're $30 for the spring and rod assembly. Oh well.
Call me crazy if you want, but I just realized I had 1/2" 18/8 stainless hex bolts. I'm gonna make the whole thing out of them. Didn't cost me a dime...
Watch out BTGuideRods! Just kidding. I'm not gonna sell these. I just want to say I made mine.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Call me crazy if you want, but I just realized I had 1/2" 18/8 stainless hex bolts. I'm gonna make the whole thing out of them. Didn't cost me a dime...
Watch out BTGuideRods! Just kidding. I'm not gonna sell these. I just want to say I made mine.
BT is $64 + shipping, so you might be onto something if you sell to a select few on the WF :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I bought two SpringCo Assys for my P99 and PPQ 9mms. Use them when I use +P Ammo.
Only a few people had problems with the non metal blue ends failing on their Walthers recoil spring Assys , have no idea how long the Walther OEM recoil springs last, i would guess thousands of rounds in 9mm.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BT is $64 + shipping, so you might be onto something if you sell to a select few on the WF
Yeah, haha. And if I get my springs from Magnum Research it'll be even more profitable. Apparently the MR9 uses the same as the P99/PPQ. I'm gonna call them later and see how much they are.
Not looking to go into business with these... but if the price is right :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
I think it is cool. I've often thought about getting an aftermarket one because the P99 will cycle loads that other guns flat won't so there is room to easily go to a bit heavier spring unless all you shoot is bunny fart loads.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts