Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a P99 chambered for the 40 s&w. Never had an issue until I took it to the range one day and had the firing pin stick back with the trigger stuck back as well. Easily resets when I use the decocker but the pin won’t release to strike and fire. Clean and oil regularly and always after taking it to the range. Maybe missing something on my cleaning routine or need to get the gunk out of something internal? Sorry for any incorrect nomenclature, been shooting for a few years but still a novice to the mechanical workings and maintenance areas beyond normal strip and cleaning. Will much appreciate any help and input.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Never had an issue until I took it to the range one day and had the firing pin stick back with the trigger stuck back as well.
Explain this further.

Do you mean that the trigger actually stuck to the rear and would not move, or do you mean that it clicked into the SA position?

Easily resets when I use the decocker but the pin won’t release to strike and fire.
So with the trigger pulled all the way to the rear, the striker will not release? But it will release when the decocker is pressed?

If the trigger is physically stuck to the rear, then I would have to imagine that there is a serious issue somewhere in the frame that is causing the trigger/trigger bar to stick.

If the issue is that the trigger still moves freely, but the striker will not release when the trigger is pulled all the way back, I'd move on to checking the trigger bar guide.

What year was this P99 made? What is the date-code on the pistol? Is it a 1st generation or a later model?

If it is 1st generation model, you may have a broken sear housing and/or the metal trigger bar guide may be missing. If it is a later model with the adjustable trigger bar guide, it may just need a simple adjustment where the issue could be resolved with a turn of the adjustment screw.

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
the firing pin stick back with the trigger stuck back as well. Easily resets when I use the decocker but the pin won’t release to strike and fire.
Oooooooh, let me see if I can find some pictures. OK, the picture below is a PPQ, not a P99, but they are pretty much exactly like it.

I assume you're talking about this problem occurring during repetitive firing of the pistol, meaning this happens with the SA (single action) trigger pull. Keep this thought in mind. With the trigger in the SA trigger position, meaning after you've fired at least one round, the striker (you're calling this the firing pin) is held to the rear and in the fully compressed (cocked) position. Pulling the trigger will simply release the striker.

Let me explain the picture below.

The striker, or in the picture, the foot of the stiker is being stopped/held by the single action sear (green circle). The single action sear is being propped up by the single action lever (red circle). When you pull the trigger, a nub on the trigger bar will come into contact with the ledge (blue circle) on the single action lever. Pressing the trigger farther to the rear will move the single action lever rearward, which will, at some point let the single action sear 'drop' down, which will release the striker.

Now, the P99 has a decocker....but the parts in the picture are still the same. When you depress the decocker on a P99 a slanted nub on the bottom of the decocker will come into contact with the top portion of the single action lever, forcing it rearward, with the same result as pulling the trigger (well, almost). The decocker will release the striker, letting it spring forward....but not to worry, since the firing pin block (Walther calls it the firing pin safety) is still blocking the path of the striker....there's also a ledge on the decocker that will physically block full forward movement of the striker.

With me so far?

So, let's talk about this statement.

the firing pin stick back with the trigger stuck back as well. Easily resets when I use the decocker but the pin won’t release to strike and fire.
I have no idea whats happening with the trigger sticking fully to the rear and not releasing the striker. Other than the trigger bar guide being out of adjustment (don't ask me how that could happen). That may account for the trigger not releasing the striker, but why is the trigger stuck to the rear? I'd say there's either some foreign object in there, or something is broke.

I don't understand this statement either "Easily resets when I use the decocker but the pin won’t release to strike and fire.". When you depress the decocker, you're releasing the striker...it's no longer cocked....so nothing to release. You'd need to rack the slide again in order to recock the striker.

How is double action mode operating?

I'm thinking your pistol needs to go to Walther for a look see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooooooh, let me see if I can find some pictures. OK, the picture below is a PPQ, not a P99, but they are pretty much exactly like it.

I assume you're talking about this problem occurring during repetitive firing of the pistol, meaning this happens with the SA (single action) trigger pull. Keep this thought in mind. With the trigger in the SA trigger position, meaning after you've fired at least one round, the striker (you're calling this the firing pin) is held to the rear and in the fully compressed (cocked) position. Pulling the trigger will simply release the striker.

Let me explain the picture below.

The striker, or in the picture, the foot of the stiker is being stopped/held by the single action sear (green circle). The single action sear is being propped up by the single action lever (red circle). When you pull the trigger, a nub on the trigger bar will come into contact with the ledge (blue circle) on the single action lever. Pressing the trigger farther to the rear will move the single action lever rearward, which will, at some point let the single action sear 'drop' down, which will release the striker.

Now, the P99 has a decocker....but the parts in the picture are still the same. When you depress the decocker on a P99 a slanted nub on the bottom of the decocker will come into contact with the top portion of the single action lever, forcing it rearward, with the same result as pulling the trigger (well, almost). The decocker will release the striker, letting it spring forward....but not to worry, since the firing pin block (Walther calls it the firing pin safety) is still blocking the path of the striker....there's also a ledge on the decocker that will physically block full forward movement of the striker.

With me so far?

So, let's talk about this statement.

I have no idea whats happening with the trigger sticking fully to the rear and not releasing the striker. Other than the trigger bar guide being out of adjustment (don't ask me how that could happen). That may account for the trigger not releasing the striker, but why is the trigger stuck to the rear? I'd say there's either some foreign object in there, or something is broke.

I don't understand this statement either "Easily resets when I use the decocker but the pin won’t release to strike and fire.". When you depress the decocker, you're releasing the striker...it's no longer cocked....so nothing to release. You'd need to rack the slide again in order to recock the striker.

How is double action mode operating?

I'm thinking your pistol needs to go to Walther for a look see.
Thanks for the thorough replies, I was inaccurate with my description of the issue so let me try again (hopefully for the better)

After doing some research on my model on year I was left with more questions. I have a 6 digit serial with no letter designations, though what I could find out and what I believe to be correct (or not) is that I have a 2001 model. It’s the 40 s&w with the anti-stress trigger position and the green polymer frame. Was unfamiliar with the origin as it was a hand me down from a family member. The first digits of the serial start with 46 which I read indicates it’s a German frame with the barrel and slide manufactured here in the states.

But back to the issue I’m having. When pulling the trigger to fire from double action for what should be the striker releasing to fire a round, the striker will remain back and the trigger will just wiggle in the rear of the trigger well, not be completely stuck as I incorrectly said. The trigger will go into the anti-stress position just fine but pulling back from there as if to fire the same issue is encountered. When I use the decocker the state is remedied somewhat releasing the striker and trigger back to their original states. But maybe more simply put, the striker will not release when the trigger is pulled rear to fire a round. I’m left with the state I described in the beginning.

Thank you again for the very informative and in depth replies, I’m always happy to see people willing to help and tolerate (maybe) my ignorance in this matter. Still taking the time to study this in depth as I’m currently working long hours and am away from home.

Mostly curious if this is something I might be able to repair myself or ask a more firearm mechanically inclined friend to help with. But if I need to ship it to the factory so be it.

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
Morning Av8or. ALL P99's are made in Germany....ALL parts are made in Germany. Smith and Wesson DID offer a SW99, which is a P99 clone, utilizing a frame supplied and made in Germany and a slide and barrel made in the US....the complete pistols were assembled in the US. Magnum research did something similar with their MR Eagle series.

You need to post some pictures of your pistol for a little more accurate feedback.

As to the problem you're having, it sure sounds like something to do with the trigger bar guide....either out of adjustment (don't know how that could happen) or broken. In all honesty, I'd suggest contacting Walther to see if they'll take a look at it. Or, just take it to a local gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Mostly curious if this is something I might be able to repair myself or ask a more firearm mechanically inclined friend to help with. But if I need to ship it to the factory so be it.
Don't muck about with it. You're begging for trouble. If the fire-control mechanism of a firearm is malfunctioning, the gun should be presumed dangerous.

Call Walther customer service in Ft. Smith, and arrange to send it there and get it fixed.

M

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I have a 6 digit serial with no letter designations, though what I could find out and what I believe to be correct (or not) is that I have a 2001 model.
The 1st generation P99 pistols had a different sear housing that was prone to cracking around the hole that the trigger bar guide slid into if this area was impacted during assembly. As of right now, this is where I believe the issue is coming from on your pistol.

The first digits of the serial start with 46 which I read indicates it’s a German frame with the barrel and slide manufactured here in the states.
There was a run of around 5,000 Walther P99 pistols in the early 2000's that had S&W slides and barrels. I heard that Walther couldn't keep up with demand at the time, and asked S&W to make the slides and barrels for these pistols.

All of them were .40S&W pistols, and if I'm remembering right, all started with a "46" serial number, and all had green frames.

The way to tell is to check to see if the pistol has German proofmarks. If it does not, then you can be sure that it is one of these 5,000 pistols. It should be rare to find one of these. Walther offered to replace all 5,000 pistols to "German" P99 pistols if owners were willing to send them in, and many took them up on that offer at the time. I'm kind of doubtful that they would at this point, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for a replacement for this alone. Make sure you mention this if you get in contact with them and you're interested in a replacement.

It may be. If you could, take a picture of the sear housing where the trigger bar rubs against the trigger bar guide. If I'm right, and it is an issue with the sear housing, simply replacing the sear housing and adjusting one screw should be all it takes. A picture of this area of your pistol should be enough to verify this as an issue if not the issue.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The firearm in question... I’ll open it up when I’m back home to help answer some questions hopefully of the internal issues.
Take a few pictures from a top-down view where the trigger bar touches the sear housing. This should tell us if it is indeed a trigger bar guide issue. You should also take pictures of the sear housing itself, and anything else that seems out of place.

Also, I agree strongly with MGMike that this pistol should not even be loaded, much less fired until this issue is resolved. If a fix is going to be done to the pistol, it should be from a qualified gunsmith, or better, Walther themselves. I would be fair but firm when I spoke to them, and I would remind them how much of a liability this pistol may be if there is something wrong with the fire control mechanism.

The lack of German proofmarks proves that is one of the 5,000 "S&W-made" Walther P99 pistols. Your pistol has a stainless steel slide and barrel whereas all other P99 pistols have a carbon steel slide and barrel. I'd consider it pretty rare, but I don't believe it is worth any more than other .40 P99 pistols from the same era. Whether or not you want to ask for a replacement of the entire pistol is up to you, and I'm not even sure if Walther still offers this, but I figure I'd at least put that out there.

Consider me interested here. I've never heard of an issue on these pistols that caused the trigger to stick to the rear. Check the condition of the trigger return spring as well. I imagine that a broken trigger return spring could cause similar issues. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the internals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts