Walther Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an MR9 on the basis of my experience with the P99. I was told that they get their frames and fire control units from Walther and add their redesigned slide to it. The slide of the MR9 is pretty to look at, but not to operate.

My questions are these:

(1) Is the bottom half of the MR9 identical to the bottom half of the P99?

(2) If the bottom half is the same, can the upper half of a P99 (slide, spring, striker, etc.) be put on the bottom half of an MR9 and theoretically have a P99?

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
(1) Walther made/provided the frames/trigger assemblies for the MR9. I'd have to say, internally, they are identical....including the AS trigger assembly.

(2) I HAVE put the top half (slide/barrel) from one of my 9mm P99's on one of my MR9 frames. It hand functioned correctly....I didn't take it to the range.

What do you mean by: The slide of the MR9 is pretty to look at, but not to operate.......I don't get it. :eek:

I have a pair of 4.5" Magnum Research pistols....a 9mm and a 40. I like em'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
MR9: Too tough to rack for me

What do you mean by: The slide of the MR9 is pretty to look at, but not to operate.

I have a pair of 4.5" Magnum Research pistols....a 9mm and a 40. I like em'.
And so would I...IF

The heavy steel slide did not also have a heavy recoil spring and a narrow, shallow strip of serrations that occupied only 1/4th of the slide's surface at the back of it. The only way I can perform a full rack is to hold onto the back of the slide with my right hand and push the gun forward with my left (Yes, I am left-handed).

I have difficulty racking this slide when it is completely dry. Should I get any bit of moisture on my fingers, the word, "slide" takes on a whole new meaning as in "Slip n' Slide."

On a subjective scale of 1 to 10, for a 67-year old man with slightly arthritic fingers, the PPX's ability to be fully racked is a "1" while the MR9's ability to be fully racked is an "8"- and that's with dry hands on the first try.

BTW, I loved my PPX but I sold it because I was not comfortable with the idea of having a short travel trigger with no external safeties - not even the split trigger systems found on Glocks or the grip safeties found on XD's, or the lever safeties on 1911's. IMO, it seemed too easy for something to inadvertently catch the edge of the trigger while cocked and dischage the gun.

Now, if the PPX had a decocker like the P99, it would be the best thing since sliced bread. The decocker is the whole reason why I bought a P99 clone.

I would also love my MR9 if it was not such a major pain in so many places - which is why I am parting with it for $400.

I've used a P99 before and never had an ounce of trouble racking its slide which does have large serrations, top to bottom, and a more forgiving spring. But the price differential is the reason why I chose the MR9 over bying a P99 outright.

I will place an ad in the classifieds, but if anyone is interested, $400 will get you:

A NIB MR9 with an adjustable rear sight and five extra front sights of differing heights. Three back stops for adjusting the grip size, two 15-round magazines, & cable lock in a hard case:

[IMGhttp://www.waltherforums.com/forum/members/33702-albums361-picture1894.jpg[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Well Peter, sorry to hear the ole MR9 isn't working out for you. $400 sounds like a nice price...best of luck.

BTW, you might want to put an ad (post) in the 'Trading Post / Parts Bin' section.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice pics! Sorry it wasn't a fit for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will.

Well Peter, sorry to hear the ole MR9 isn't working out for you. $400 sounds like a nice price...best of luck.

BTW, you might want to put an ad (post) in the 'Trading Post / Parts Bin' section.
I'm also going to place ads on ARMSLIST & FloridaGunTrader.

I'm in Jacksonville, Fl (in case anyone wants to know).

Need to update my profile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The curse of big hands and small budgets

Nice pics! Sorry it wasn't a fit for you.
Thanks for the compliments and condolences. I've been lucky with the last two handguns I bought and subsequently sold: a Sig P250 and an SD9 VE.

I've also tried out a lot of rentals at the gun range, but they all exceeded my price range. :mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A humorous take on what I said

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
Another option is some grip tape on the slide. I have a bit on my QPQ P99 and it really helps improve grip although the 04+ models are still better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.